Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Flexxx's '09 R1/1098 "Yamacati" Build

52K views 132 replies 55 participants last post by  MotoMillion 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I bought this 09 R1 that had been wrecked. The guy who originally owned it wrecked it after a few days of buying it, he didn't even have insurance on it. So I picked it up for $500 bucks from a wrecker service AND I get the title to the bike.

The Bad:
Frame and subframe are busted
The fairings are gone
Front fairing stay, gauges, headlights, controls are all gone
Front rim is bent
Radiator is collapsed
Left stator cover is busted
Few other minor things

The Good:
The engine only has three days of riding, so its near new.
Front forks are good
Rear rim/tire are good
Swingarm/shock are good
Few other minor things are good

Enjoy the build

Attachments

See less See more
#30 ·
I appreciate all the well wishes.

What do you guys think about the Duc Duc tail compared to the original R1 tail?

#35 · (Edited)
Here's a little taste of an update.

These are pictures of the two swingarms cut and aligned just before going off to get welded up.

#36 ·
This beast is going to be sick!!!!

Sent from L.A.

#39 ·
Next on the list is making the battery box into the subframe(since Ducati wanted to be complicated and put their batteries on the front of the bike) and make a new seat pan/seat.

I knocked out the exhaust bracket last night too, I'll try to post some pictures tonight of the completed look with the tail section.

#42 ·
#45 ·
Well, my welder has been delayed due to some family problems (I can't blame him, he's got his priorities). So the build has been somewhat on hold. But I've been toying with fabing up the battery tray and lower tank mount, that 1098 tail is itty bitty to try to fit ANYTHING in. :shake

#46 ·
Awesome project, I love the Duc tail. It looks quite fat and suits the size and shape of the R1 tank. The swingarm isn't to my taste, but I appreciate the effort and vision. Good luck man. :thumbup

#47 · (Edited)
I appreciate it. Those were my thoughts about the tail too. I thought the Duc tail would suit the beefy front end of the R1 well.

And I saw where Nick Anglada had built an R1 with a Greggs single-sided with a Ducati hub. I liked the idea, but the swingarm he had was tubular and it didn't go will with the mass of the frame. So I decided to give the Duc swingarm a shot.

Update: Still waiting on the swingarm to get finished, so I figured I would disassemble the engine. I'm going to do a full engine flush and I got a new top end to put in it. Hopefully I'll get it all back together this week or next and crank it up for the first time. :ncont:

#49 · (Edited)
Yea thats where we keep our stock pile of wild game (deer, bear, duck, etc) Luckily, we have another one in the house that we keep some in, so it's rare to have to go in that one.

agreed :saw::saw::dollar:dollar:drunk::drunk:
I've actually only got $5200 invested in EVERYTHING(including the price of the bike).

I still have to get the Carrozzeria's and the tires, and paint, but thats only $2000-$2200 more. And I have about $1000 worth of spare parts to sell or just keep. So I'll be able to walk away from this build with it completely built for about $6500 (if I decide to sell those spare parts)

#50 · (Edited)
Well I figured out two things today while working on the R1 today...

1. What little bit of oil was left in the bike looked like this...

2. I need to back off from the trough a little because when I bent over in the shop, this happened...

But it's ok because...

1. The oil in the oil pump and oil filter was clean and clear which shows that the bike was never turned over after the accident.

2. No one was around to hear or see the rippage. :butt

#54 · (Edited)
How long is a good question. Best answer, today was a day closer to the end than yesterday. :hammer:

I'm HOPING to have it finished by the end of February. (and thats counting in WORK, vacation time(if I can ever get some), holiday time, etc)

Wow, that looks like caramel
Yea I bought it with the understanding that it had NEVER been attempted to crank after the wreck, so needless to say it worried the s*** out of me when I saw the soup in the pan. I was praying harddd when I pulled the oil filter, then oil pump off that the oil in those looked good. Luckily, it was spotless.

#53 · (Edited)
Great job so far. The amount of things you must have learned is priceless. My friend builds bikes from salvage frames and ebay parts and creates custom sport bike hybrids mixing parts from different year makes & models. He is a local racer in So FL and usually comes in top spots in CCS when he races. He built a crashed out 848 with scrap parts hours before the race and beat out guys with perfect paint and every performance upgrade money could buy. I mean he nearly lapped people with stock pipes. Brought home some big trophies that day and his bike didn't even have paint on it. It was primer. Now it looks bad ass. That is passion.

#57 ·
FNG/"resume"/bump

bumpity BAMP.

FNG here. aaaand i'm the guy who will be making sparks and building the motor on big man's bike.

honored and feelin priveleged as hell to be a part of the build.

as far as a bit on me, ex electrical engineer specializing in controls and automation, now welder, fabricator and machinist for a local shop here in wilmington, Nc mainly catering to GE Nuclear. co-owned a bike shop and BMW speed shop in maryland for 5 years, and specialized in turbo applications and application engineering.. had a ton of fun doing it.

in the spring and fall, i hit the road for steam turbine service, which brings me to another part of this story..

sadly, i hit the road for kentucky april 1st and will be there 5 weeks. i will be balls deep in the bike directly on my return to Nc, however, so prepare for pic overload. keep the lotion handy because yous are gonna fap to this shit when it's done.

a lil hint of the weld magic and a personal project..

roll cage welding for the boss's 76 bronco

oyster crane, all 316 stainless. 1000lb capacity

aaand here is a recent stunter repair.. did another baller status frame repair to a 636, but i don't know wtmf happened to the pics.

.500" 6061

aaaaand a lil hint of some of my own shit brewing.. turbo/ EFI ZX7R.
parts list includes wossner gas-ported pistons, carillo H beams, magical head work, APE adj cam gears, megasquirt MS3x EFI, modified F4i TBs and.. well, a ton of other shit. ohh and the best part, a heavily ported/polished TB22 garrett, flowrate at redline come out to about 403 CFM at 90%VE, and on that turbo, lands dead-denter of the peak efficiency island at 13.6psi and a PR of about 2.0 ish. should be fun.. going for 250-300hp, and building for about 400ish.

heavily modded F4i TBs.. ported .180" and polished like a mufukka.

but ya.. thats my sort of resume for yas.. being i am some random tool who just shows up out of nowhere and bumps a thread and i am a complete and utter nobody here.. lol

so.. now ya know. i am lookin forward to the build!! otta be pretty fuggin sexy. i keep tryin to talk him into boost as well here and there.. lol

#58 ·
bumpity BAMP.

FNG here. aaaand i'm the guy who will be making sparks and building the motor on big man's bike.

honored and feelin priveleged as hell to be a part of the build.

as far as a bit on me, ex electrical engineer specializing in controls and automation, now welder, fabricator and machinist for a local shop here in wilmington, Nc mainly catering to GE Nuclear. co-owned a bike shop and BMW speed shop in maryland for 5 years, and specialized in turbo applications and application engineering.. had a ton of fun doing it.

in the spring and fall, i hit the road for steam turbine service, which brings me to another part of this story..

sadly, i hit the road for kentucky april 1st and will be there 5 weeks. i will be balls deep in the bike directly on my return to Nc, however, so prepare for pic overload. keep the lotion handy because yous are gonna fap to this shit when it's done.

a lil hint of the weld magic and a personal project..
What's up brotha??? Glad you gave yourself the proper introduction. And for everyone here on the forum, I second EVERYTHING he just said. Dude does CRAZYYY work.

But let me hop off of here, I'm packing her up and heading your way soon man!

#60 ·
I APPROVE OF THIS MESSAGE!!!! Hell yes, welcome aboard and I'm very excited to see what you've got in store with all of your projects good Sir! :thumbup

#61 ·
:bow
thank ya sir!! wish i wasn't in the middle of 95,000 other things. i JUST moved.. hell i haven't been in this house 24 hours yet, so between moving, a cluster**** of a motor build i "inherited" from a local shop that closed down ( where many things were lost or damaged and i had to figure out how to fix) another dirtbike build from out of state, leaving for kentucky in a week and just being run ragged with things.. i'd love nothing more than to get on it today and kill some of this anticipation we all have! lol i think i can at least get it tacked together before i hit the road, at least. that is my goal.

as stated, i don't have any yamaha bikes. only yamaha thing i own is an acoustic guitar.. had a 112L electric but it got stolen may years ago ( replacing that is a 1570 ibanez and an epiphone special II.. i loves me some shred metal) i def look forward to tickling the throttle on homey's bike because the crossplane motors make me wet.

i tech for Team Pro-Motion, and the last time i was at the track there was a lil group of guys on 09+ R1s and.. well, that was probably the best sounding track weekend EVER. lol next to my carbon fiber days in LeMans when i worked on racecars, the R1s make any track experience that much more panty-moistening. def plan on snagging an 09ish motor, tossing some boost on it and shoving it in a suzkui samurai or somethin. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.