Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1999 R1 Frame Polishing?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Benocehcap 
#1 ·
i have just bought a 1999 R1 and the frame has already been polished but it has a few little marks that wont wash out.

can anyone tell me if i have to we sand all over again or do i have to just polish for the marks to come out.

any advice would be helpful.

cheers
josh

#5 ·
It all depends on the type and depth of the marks. If they are light marks, then you could try some mothers aluminum polish. If they are deep (feel it with a finger nail) you may have to do some light sanding (1000 to 2000 grit) and follow that up with aluminum polish.... just be prepared to put some elbow grease into it... and to maintain it! LOL

#7 ·
Could be water marks or oxidation.... its hard to say without a pic. But if alum polish wont take it out, then try some wet sanding with 1500 as you already stated. Post pics I really miss my 01 R1 If I could find who bought it, i'd really think about buying it back.

#8 ·
ill get a pic for you when i finish work.

my bike has been painted harliquin red, blue, green, purple and brown.

it looks pretty not with polished frame and wheels but i need to repolish everything and im going to do thee swing arm.

when i post them let me know what you think.

cheers
josh

#9 ·
when you polish aluminum, you are eating through the clear anodizing to bare aluminum. This will start forming a new oxidation layer which leaves something like dried milk stains. Once aluminum is polished, you'd need to clear anodize it again to retain the mirror finish.

#11 ·
just paint the fcking thing black please! Chrome is so yesterday :shake:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.