Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

I'm bummed... I gotta sell my R1

3K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  thnakdone 
#1 ·
Well I'm sad to report I have to sell my bike 1999 yamaha r1 it's beautiful, just won't start turns n turns but no start had several savvy guys look over it but sadly no one can't figure it, but all basics have been checked.

So I was wondering how much do you guys think I should sell it for.???

#3 ·
Ill have to ask him if he checked I'm sure he did. But really can't afford to buy parts for guess work on it if you know what I mean, tight budget, I just wish I knew what was causing it. Seriously sux

#6 ·
Youre gonna eat a shvt snadwich $ wise selling a bike that doesnt turn over. Be methodical and cover your bases and it will start:fact

#8 ·
Is there gas in the bike??? but really like shark said isolate the problem... fuel, spark, or compression..... and I would also recommend finding out the problem to know whether it is worth fixing and/or how much too sell it for

#9 ·
make sure its not a vacuum problem. throw that bitch on reserve with plenty of gas and get her running damnit

#12 · (Edited)
What they said. Isolate the problem.

Fuel first!
Make sure fuel is flowing. If you can, open up the air box and put your hand over the intakes for a couple turn overs to suck fuel into/out of the carbs(choke issue if this fixes it). If it still doesn't start, it should smell heavily of gas(it should flood the engine, having wet plugs and smelling like gas if there isn't any spark.). A carb driven motor is typically more likely to have a fuel issue than a spark issue.

If the above is true, it's an electrical issue and patience with a bit of know how should be able to fix that. Plugs, wires, connections, THE BATTERY, relays, and solenoids are the only culprits of this issue. It will be somewhere between the battery, ignition switch and/or plugs.

With knowing what it is doing and isn't doing, we can narrow it down more and hopefully help you fix it.

Good luck!

#13 ·
I'm in eastern washington state. Well my guy, I'm sure has checked most of the above situations plus he said that he had three other guys look at it an there stumped..): I know this above my knowledge on wiring I can't figure it out.

It ran perfectly fine all last season no probs, keep in the garage n on battery tender. I dont understand this at all it's so frustrating

#15 ·
New plugs. New fuel. Douche the thing in seafoam, It will start. Carb'd bikes and sleds get gunked up and are tempermental:fact

#17 ·
What's seafoam??? I'm in tri cities, WA

I just don't have the cash to buy a sh);$ ton o parts to narrow down the issue, and I know shop rates are wallet grabbers.

Jet cleaning how's that?

#18 ·
Pull the tank, drain your float bowls, loosen the screws on the carb boots, remove entire carb bank and flip it upside down. Pull float bowls, remove your pilot and main jets and clean them with carb cleaner. No reason to pull the throttle cables and make sure you put an old rag over the intake ports so you don't lose any screw in unwanted places

Mark
99 R1

ps After cleaning you pilot jets, it's a good idea to blow compressed air through them to make sure they're open.

#21 ·
don't sell it !

That's your baby that you're talking about !

How's it sound when it cranks ? A constant strong or kind of a stuttered ?
That's a free way to sorta check compression if you can't buy the tool.

I'd say eliminate possible problems one by one, first being the easiest is fuel, I'd pull the tank, drain it and put some fresh fuel with some sea foam in it.

Also pulling the carbs and cleaning them out would be a close second.

Maybe some fresh plugs while you're at it.

#24 ·
I would call a few shops and see what they charge, if the can solve the problem and what they charge if they can't. It's worth looking into, as it will probably be more expensive to buy a bike.

#25 ·
So he's saying this I have power coming in but not out of the coils and only two of them??

I just dont have the cash right now to keep buying parts to chase down a problem aaahhh I'm so torn rigt now

#26 ·
get a cheap ignition tester... LINKAGE to check that.....

My sisters Honda had a similar problem. Ended up being floats stuck all the way up in the fuel bowl so no fuel would come in. Fixed that and 4 new plug, runs great.

#27 ·
Keep the bike.
If you don't have the money now, that's cool.
The bikes not going anywhere (unless you sell it).
Time is on your side. A little here and there, and she will be running like a dream.
Stick with it, you have a wealth of knowledge here at your finger tips. If there's someone on here that can give you a hand, take them up on it.
There's nothing worse than selling your bike, to find out the next owner spends 2 hrs finding the problem and fixing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.