Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Feedback needed on '12 vs '08 R1.

11K views 147 replies 35 participants last post by  boilovepho 
#1 ·
I stopped into the dealer the other day just help me ease the addiction. Just had to see them in person. I could've walked out with a fresh bike, but didn't. It's winter, and I'm patient. Enough, small talk.

I began talking with the sales woman as she's aware of my situation, and I can get my bike anytime. I informed her of the mint condition '08 that I'm looking at, and she began telling me how the cross plane is so much better in every regard. Sales ploy? Possibly.

On black and white, the data suggest that the '08 has more power, more torque, and they are about equal in weight. With this information, can someone please enlighten me about these two. If a weekend veteran rider was to take both bikes on the track, an '12 R1 and an '08, which one would surface as the winner (clearly opinions will vary)?

#56 ·
Get the '12, engine has more low/mid making it easier to ride. Power comes on stronger yet smoother, definitely more managable than an '04-'08's mainly upper rpm power hit. Traction control is a major bonus, especially for a liter bike newb. Performance parts will be more accessible in the coming years for '09+ model yrs as well. If you get the '12 I'll flash it for you, once your'e use to it.

#94 · (Edited)
I have a 08 Y-Pipe, slip-on and flash-tune. When I rode one 09 and 11 r1 from my friends, the power comes on sooner and not as smooth. It's really going to depend on how you ride it on the street. I ride my 08 in the higher rpm and power is not an issue for me. On the highway with the same mods I'm pulling away from the 09+ no problem. On the dyno with just the over the counter maps I make the almost the same hp, I was 00.5 HP off. I was going to trade my 08 for a 12 but atfer riding their bikes for more then few times, I decided no. It's not a big enough upgrade for me. When my friends rode my bike they both agree the power comes on smoother and pull much harder to redline. They said they feel more confident in taking the corners on my bike. ( That might just be my tires ). All my experience comes from street riding. I'm not saying the 09 to 11 aren't great bikes but it's not enough upgrade from my 08.Plus they weigh a bit more.

Edit: Braking is the same on the 08 to 09+. I'm not sure why someone said the brakes were better on the 09+. I can't speak for suspension becuase 09 and the 11 weren't set up for my weigh. But the 09+ feels a bit softer.

#95 ·
I have a 08 Y-Pipe, slip-on and flash-tune. When I rode one 09 and 11 r1 from my friends, the power comes on sooner and not as smooth. It's really going to depend on how you ride it on the street. I ride my 08 in the higher rpm and power is not an issue for me. On the highway with the same mods I'm pulling away from the 09+ no problem. On the dyno with just the over the counter maps I make the almost the same hp, I was 00.5 HP off. I was going to trade my 08 for a 12 but atfer riding their bikes for more then few times, I decided no. It's not a big enough upgrade for me. When my friends rode my bike they both agree the power comes on smoother and pull much harder to redline. They said they feel more confident in taking the corners on my bike. ( That might just be my tires ). All my experience comes from street riding. I'm not saying the 09 to 11 aren't great bikes but it's not enough upgrade from my 08.Plus they weigh a bit more.
Just curious...what mode were you riding the 09 in....and was the ECU flashed or no?? What mods were on the 09 and 11??

#96 ·
I know for sure I was riding in A mode on the 11. Flash-tune, Leo Vince cf evo II and Y-pipe. 09 had Graves slip-on, ypipe and flash tune ( I'm pretty sure I was in A mode too ). We used the same dyno and date on the 11 and 08. It's funny because I convinced the 11 owner to buy it atfer many post on the 09 + and I told him I would get one too.

#97 ·
with it being tuned...I'm not sure why you say the power isn't smoother on the '09+ That's a fact that it is...do you have the dyno charts? Pre 09 will give you the "feel" of more power because they want to rip your arms off when you get into the power band with them.

As to the "pull away from them"....at what speeds do you start and what speeds are you "pulling away from them". 1) you admit to being on the street so I highly doubt you are pushing either bike, 2) different riders can be a skill/confidence thing.

The 09+ is a good track bike because it puts the power to the gound earlier so the drive out of the corners can be better. I've passed BMWs come out of a corner and noone will argue that they have a HP advantage :fact

Just some things to think about..

#98 ·
It was on the highway. 80 to 155 rolling I was in 4th gear and he was in 4 as well. I red line it and he red line it and then shift into 5th. This is a straight away.

#99 ·
I'm loving the info. As for me, I highly doubt that my first month of ownership that'll I'll be exiting corners fast, passing while @ WOT, and be able to get low enough to get my knee down. However, in the long run I will be there. Again, I've never ridden a 1000, so I'm sure all that power will be new to me.

From the reading and advice, I think I'll go with my original thought. If the shop doessn't sell the '08 by the time I go to buy, the '08 it is. If they do... well back to the basics. A new bike will be had.

#102 ·
She looks awesome. I have a few questions.

How many miles?
Does she come with YES warranty?
Any mods?

#109 · (Edited)
All those changes are to fine tune it and make it turn "optimally". Stock out of the box...they still do really well. Or maybe it's just me :dunno. Like I said earlier, I can't compare my 09 to an 08 or earlier. But it's gotten me pretty well into A group pace with a 20k mile worn out suspension that's only had a general set up on it. My .02 :dunno

Edited to add: while I've ridden other bikes, this is the first one I've owned. So either I've learned/adapted on a crap suspension and will do amazingly well once I put $$ into the suspension, or it really isn't as bad as you're thinking :lol

#110 ·
I agree with the above points. I'm fine tuning. I had no problem running completely stock suspension in intermediate on q2s at the track. A crossplane with fork springs and a 3mm shim above the shock clevis handles awesome. I am going to be doing wera this year and am trying to get the bike perfect. Believe me, they're good stock.

#112 ·
Gotta start somewhere. I've been to enough races to know I won't be the slowest.. I don't care if I come in last. I'm just doing it to have fun and get better. That was my first track day, I was in the upper middle of intermediate and my tires were definitely a limiting factor. I know what I need to improve and now that the bike is sprung for me and has race tires I think I'll be a little quicker. I'm not planning on making a career of it in any case, just want to have some fun.

#113 ·
Bad new, and good news.

First, the shop sold the R1 on Friday. There will be others however.

On a better note, if I was to get an '08 R1, my insurance would be the same as if I purchased a '12/'13 R6. Any who, it's still winter, and I can be patient. I'll save some money, keep paying bills, and make my move early in 2013. I'll stick around to keep reading and learning.

#116 ·
Lol, I ain't that patient. I WILL be riding a bike summer '13 (unless some act of God that prevents me from doing so). :fact

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.