Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Winter Project Underway!!!

7K views 81 replies 15 participants last post by  BanginR1 
#1 ·
Ok, well here we go, finally decided to get started. Well for those who may know me an for those who don't, quick refresher. 08 threw a rod earlier this year. Ok easy enough now time is here to get started. This past weekend to the plastics off to begin disassemble. Ok well to my surprise I have to big ass holes in the motor. 1 on the lower case an 1 on the upper case. Well I will be dropping the motor a opening it up to assess the damage. I have a few pics nothing fancy but you get an idea. She's naked right now but my plan is to get her bk looking like a Stallion again!""Last pic is before break down. Any info advice to speed this up would be beneficial to me. Thanks Forum everyone on here is riding the baddest bike on the planet.(I love Opinions)

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would buy a newer/used motor and drop it in there. I dont think it would be worth it to try and re-build this one. By the time you find new cases(if you can just buy the cases) and replace the piston, connecting rod and anything else that was damaged I would think you could buy a working motor for much less.

I would check out the valves on the top of the motor and maybe have it ported for when you drop a new motor in. I am sure you could pick up 5+ HP or more especially with a custom tune. Since the valves on the 07/08 seem to be a weak point, maybe someone like Graves has an upgraded valve kit you can drop in.

#5 ·
Thanks fellas, well to reply to you Iceman, I have got all parts needed for the rebuild. I couldnt pass up the price on the both cases, crank, pistons w/connecting rods, head, harness etc... Some stuff I have no need for. So I am gonna go for it. It will be a slow process. I have another bike to ride so no worries on that part. I agree another motor would be alot faster.

#7 ·
Hey OP, if you're at all interested, a good friend of mine is a certified welder and would weld up that case for you if you wanted it as a spare. He has done my frame welding and is about to do some seriousss swingarm welding for me. A#1 work.

#8 ·
Well had some valve issues with it. So I took it to a mechanic which was recommended by a friend. He then replaced all valves, springs an shims and adjusted them. Well maybe a month later starting running alil rough. So I then took it back to him. Cranked it up rev it a couple of times then boom oil started spilling out. So here I am with good intentions to make something happen.

#9 ·
So basically your shoddy mechanic muffed up your engine when in all actuality, he was supposed to fix it, and now you're having to fix it...?

#36 ·
:lol

OP i saw this too late, I was going to say change the plugs, and also, easy way to get the motor under the bike is with a skateboard. :secret:
fresh gas and fuel cleaner will be a good start, seafoam works great for cleaning everything.

#15 · (Edited)
Trust me buy a new motor man, same thing happened to me in August, but I must say it was fun, I bought parts of motors and put them together replaced pistons, rings, head, and put everything together and now she is a beast not not trying to steal your thread but here was my project, wish you the best and have fun make it what you want it to be since you gotta drop the motor!! Subbed :) Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Rim
Auto part Fuel line Automotive fuel system Engine Automotive engine part
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Spoke Recumbent bicycle
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Automotive exterior
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle Tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motorcycle fairing

Attachments

#16 ·
Trust me buy a new motor man, same thing happened to me in August, but I must say it was fun, I bought parts of motors and put them together replaced pistons, rings, head, and put everything together and now she is a beast not not trying to steal your thread but here was my project, wish you the best and have fun make it what you want it to be since you gotta drop the motor!! Subbed :) View attachment 477744 View attachment 477745 View attachment 477746 View attachment 477747 View attachment 477748 View attachment 477749 View attachment 477750 View attachment 477752
OP already has all motor parts to rebuild. :sing:

Nice build though man. I believe I saw your pics in the "Pics of your bike" section.

#20 ·
Trust me up on pondered over and over about getting a new motor and drop it in there. But then again you don't know what you getting with that motor neither. Well I figured this way I know exactly what I have in the motor. Thanks to everyone with there info an opinions. 'Tek Daddy' appreciate the photos, hell that just made things for me seem much easier. Actually seeing pics of someone who's been thru it already. I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I plan on making it a beast too!!!!

#24 · (Edited)
So i've decided too buy a motor, which should be here tomorrow. So I will be dropping the old 1 out an parting out. So if anyone needs a spare motor parts let me know.....i dont plan on parting out......so if you are serious let me know.....i'll do my best to get pics, etc...I'll try to answer any ?s in a timely manner. Thanks

#25 ·
My motor threw a rod, at the time I was doing over 150, I freaked thinking it was going to lock up. It didn't thank god. Bought a spare track motor, the swap out was simple and straight forward.

#26 · (Edited)
Whats going on BlackShadow, yea I had everything to rebuild. Then a friend of mine came across a motor for sale on Craigslist that the deal was awesome. I still plan on building a spare motor. Just not in a hurry. I did a motor swap in my 01 with the 02-03 fi motor that was easy......dont miss the carbs at all.....

#27 ·
Whats going on BlackShadow, yea I had everything to rebuild. Then a friend of mine came across a motor for sale on Craigslist that the deal was awesome. I still plan on building a spare motor. Just not in a hurry. I did a motor swap in my 01 with the 02-03 fi motor that was easy......dont miss the carbs at all.....

I did everything myself with some simple tools. The sucky part was dropping the motor with a pointy oil pan, balancing on a car jack stand. My year old son was trying to help and crank the stand down while I balanced the motor on the stand. We had about it about half down til he gave up and wanted to go play, then it got interesting.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Motorcycle.com App

#28 · (Edited)
Update with pics with the project.....Decided to just buy a motor. Thumb down(bad motor) Thumb up(good motor)!!! Still plan on rebuilding the spare since I have 95% of everything to rebuild. Just wanted to show a few pics of the process an its near completion..

Attachments

#30 ·
What's going on Forum? Any ideas of what I could do to my motor prior to mounting? What type of plugs, oil etc.... I got an idea of those 2 things I would like to use....Just wanna gather some info...Thanks

#31 ·
Plugs are a good idea pending how the old ones are. Type is pretty basic, do a search on plugs on here will help. Smog block offs would be recommended since it is easy to get at. Other than that of course you can get crazy and port and polish, different valves and cam. Change old oil when motor is mounted.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#32 · (Edited)
Okay so I got the motor in it cranked up after maybe 4 or 5 starts. Idled great, let it run for a few moments to warm up. Then the red flag popped up.....reved the engine an the valves are tapping an its very noticeable. Not sure how long the motor had set up prior to my purchase.....

So Now I am looking for suggestion ideas to possibly clear the situation up.... it almost seems as if the valves are possibly stuck, any suggestions.........

I then looked at the sight glass and noticed that the oil look alil milky kind of..... I was thinking that was possibly cause of the old oil that probably could have still been stuck up in the engine somewhere.......So of course will changeto oil again..HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.