Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

I'm squid right?

1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Backinsaddle 
#1 ·
In 1994 I bought an F2. Almost zero experience riding. The mags said it was the fastest 600. Bs!
In '95, I bought a 1994 FZR1000 as my buddy told me it would spank all of the other bikes out. He was right. The bike would but I still got beat by my other buddy, Dave on his fzr 600 on the twisties.
I never had the balls that Dave did.
His 600 was built by a friend and dynoed at over 90hp! That was a lot back in those days.
Dave was putting together another bike to race someday. One night, he told my younger (and eager to race) friend, that he should just buy both of the bikes before he gets killed on one. He also stated that he was getting old at 27.
2 weeks later, Dave and I were supposed to ride to a nearby town. As I was about to leave, my girlfriend (now wife of 12 years) reminded me that I promised to help her clean the house.
I told Dave I couldn't go.
He was pissed and took off.
He died minutes later, a few blocks from where we were supposed to go.
Dave always yelled at our dumb asses for not wearing helmets. He always did.
The following year, on Dave's birthday, my older brother crashed in front of our house at 25 mph after doing fork seals and new tire. No helmet! Flight for life with shattered skull and 2 clots on the brain. My brother was like a dad to myself and little bro.
Lucky for us he came out of it ok!
I sold the bike the next year.
This spring, I bought a 94 fzr 1000 for some reason and was hooked again!
Got used to the power again and sick of working on it so, picked up an 05 r1.
I love the sick straight line acceleration and handling.
I won't pretend to be a racer or brag about being a badass. Just love riding.
I will be 40 in two weeks and have 2 beautiful young girls at home.
I ride for about 20 minutes at a time and giggle my ass of when I put it away.
If I'm a squid, that's ok.

See less See more
#7 ·
So basically because someone you know who wasn't wearing a helmet lived, and a guy you know who was wearing a helmet died you say helmets are dumb. You are an absolute moron. Get good life insurance is my advice because you cannot fix stupid.

Every wreck is different. Gear gives you a better chance of surviving a wreck. Some wrecks its your fault, some its not. I have never ever heard anyone wreck in gear and after that say they wish they weren't wearing it. You would think with a wife and kids you would want to stick around. Wearing gear gives you a better chance of making it home to family. It doesn't matter how many chances you take on the bike there is always going to be that one car who didn't look or didn't care if there was anyone there and just like that you are off the road or in a wall, or sliding along the pavement. You cannot control other cars.

Yes you are a squid. Its not something to be proud of, especially when you have a family, just get some good life insurance.

#10 ·
Good to hear buddy. We didn't think you wanted to leave on those terms.

Now, to answer your question, you only ride on very small sprints? Go to a track man!! It's more fun than anyone can imagine. Absolute addiction !

You don't ride long enough to be a squid haha!

#11 ·
Do some trackdays, then you can REALLY giggle your ass off after ALL DAY LONG 20 min sessions. And do it safely for the sake of your loved ones, short 20 min "blasts" on the street while fun, aren't the safest way to go about getting your kicks IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.