Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

02 R1 HID kit question

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  dvibbert 
#1 ·
I searched alot of threads with no real answer, so I thought I would try. I bough a HID kit for my 02 R1. It is the low beam set-up. I want the lights to be kind of like my Kawasaki 636. One light is on when dim and both on when brights. Is it possible to only have one hid light hooked up to the dim wires and the other to be off. When I turn on bright lights they both will come on. (both dim). I would need to wire one light to the dim wires and the other to the bright wiring for the other hid bulb? Any opinions/thoughts?

#4 · (Edited)
Yes, it's easy to wire it up so only one light is on when on low beams and both light up on high beams.

If you have two ballasts, wire one ballast to the low beam wires, and wire the other ballast to the high beam wires. Done! On low beam only one side will be on, on high beam both will be on!

And FYI, we don't call em dim and brights around here, probably for the technical reason the highbeam and lowbeam are the same brightness ;)

-Jamie M.

#6 ·
I tried to hook one ballast to the lowbeam and the other to the opposite side highbeam. When I go from low beam (left light on only) to high beam (both should be on) the left goes of and the right comes on. Not what I wanted. Lowbeam one light on, high beam both on.

#7 ·
Hmmm, funky :) Sounds like you could use a relay then.

Standard 30amp/40amp automotive relay like so: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-RLS125-12-VCD-Automotive-Relay/dp/B0002KR9GG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352070159&sr=8-1&keywords=relay[/ame]

Would wire it like:

Pin 87 to positive battery terminal +12v (with 15amp in-line fuse).
Pin 87a to low beam positive wire.
Pin 30 to HID ballast positive wire (low beam side).
Pin 86 to high beam positive wire (in addition to the high beam HID positive wire).
Pin 85 to ground (either battery -, frame ground or black/ground headlight wire).

Make sure that the low beam HID ballast positive wire is ONLY connected to pin 30, no other wires.

Now, when you switch on high beam the low beam HID will switch to the battery for power, instead of the low beam wires which no longer have power.

-Jamie M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.