Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

brighter lights

5K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Skygrasper 
#1 ·
i have an 06 r1, i have stock head lights and want to make them brighter. can i get bulbs with more "candle power" without haveing to go with hid's?

#2 ·
Why don't you want to go HID? These projectors were made for them.

You're pretty limited, as far as lumen range is concerned, with standard halogen bulbs. Some go with higher wattage bulbs than what is rated for the stock wires, but that can lead to issues. It also doesn't really increase light output to any great degree over the standard wattage.

HIDs are relatively cheap, and depending on the brand, stupidly cheap. The DDM range falls under stupidly cheap, and many have run them for years without a hitch. You can also choose to pay a little more for parts with a bit better construction, but still fall under what I would consider cheap, especially considering the amount of light they throw out. If you frequently ride at night, they should be a must.

The installation of them takes about 15-20 minutes, maybe more for a first-timer deciding on where to place the wiring and ballasts.

#5 ·
I have stock highs and my low hid's went out. I slapped stock bulbs while my new hid's arrive but i wasnt happy or comfortable at all with the lighting before. can I run all 4 as low and high beam? I like the halos and am planning on ordering some this winter.

#22 ·
How do you guys find having hid's as high beams I have avoided this due to warm up time and am looking at running some led bars I have run a new line for the low beams with a relay and switch so I have the old low beam lines that I can run a signal to another relay and a signal from the high beam switch anyone out there with a similar setup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.