Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

FlashTune ECU Flashing Interface

2M views 13K replies 451 participants last post by  Tad158 
#1 ·
I got the type 1 ECU flashing interface from Flashtune today.

Here are the tuneable features for the 07-08 R1:
-Fuel table bias (ECU uses a MAP vs RPM and a TPS vs RPM table for fueling, the bias adjusts how much each table contributes to the final value used to control the injectors.)
-TPS vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-MAP vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-TPS vs RPM Ignition map (per gear)
-Engine braking
-YCCT APS vs RPM throttle maps (not directly edittable, can choose between two preset maps: stock and "race")
-Fan temps (stock or 205*F on, 195*F off)
-Immobilizer Operation (Normal or Bypassed)
-Yes, you can import .djm PCIII maps into the software, the software then scales the fuel maps for flashing the ECU just like the PCIII does.

Flashtune does claim to be actively expanding the software to allow for other adjustments as well.

I flashed my ECU with the "race" YCCT map and used the 6th gear ignition map for all gears. My bike does now idle around 1900 RPMs. After looking at the "race" YCCT map closer I believe it may be to blame. Aside from the high idle everything worked great. I went out for a quick ride and was able to power up 2nd gear sit-down wheelies, I tried hard before but it never happened. The bike does feel like it has a little extra pep.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the YCCT maps and the 1st and 6th gear ignition maps.

Attachments

See less See more
#4,546 ·
So then what is your background?

#4,549 ·
I am suffering cuts...which is why I am suspecting my QS sensor...:confused:

#4,551 ·
I'm not into this secretive stuff. This is a public forum, not a super secret testing facility. I chose to post my experience with the map to potentially help anyone else with that map avoid an issue. Feedback is good, what's the difference where it goes, as long as it's considered? Tad - Check all of the wiring on your QS setup, maybe something isn't making a constant connection. I'm sure you've considered that, but just an idea. Our sensors are different, mine's an NO, but it seems to be working fine, I don't hear of them failing often.

#4,555 · (Edited)
Well you tend to have a very negative response to things most of the time and that might be the reason now one wants to share info. I dont not claim to be perfect,but the way you post your stuff is in a very negative manner. Its one thing to say " i have a strange surge at this rpm and this throttle" or even just a general area so maybe i can look at it, but you put its surges and eveyone else on the boards get worried that there going to crash or something that is just bad. The only thing i can read by your posts is that its a bad map dont use it.

also i dont even know what map you are running. I sent out 2 different maps to try for people. One with sliders at 28 80 and the other 0..

So for being a secret you and i talked on the phone about this. I dont want a bunch or people testing maps it make for a bad idea in my opinion. there are alot of people that cant handle these bikes in stock for let alone unlocked.

so if you dont want to run the map i did or even test them thats fine,but dont sit back and say its a secret when you know why i do it this way.

#4,552 ·
Yea sorry Evo, I still haven't tracked it down yet. I hadn't expended a bad until last week, but then the problem didn't go away when I switched to the Peen map, which made me suspect the QS sensor. Just haven't had the time our weather to test it yet.

#4,556 ·
Hi..

This is the last dyno result on the last saturday.. big improvement from my previous map.

This is the result of my and R1Evolution work. I have tested for about 500km, and i have no problem with it.. i made some changes but i dident have the time to test it to restore a little more power on the top end..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

so.. here it it..

#4,562 ·
I have heard of the springs failing in them and vibrations causing activations. I cannot replicate the problem on a test stand in the garage I can only do it while riding...:rant

#4,564 ·
Done that for the fourth time already. Sadly ask that I have left to do is disable it and see what happens. Then try a diffrent sensor.

#4,566 ·
Fair enough. As always, I'm genuinely happy to help in any way that I can. I would never say something inaccurate or do something malicious on these boards, I like this place and want people to know my words can be counted on as accurate. There are a lot of good minds working as a unit on this and I have no doubt we'll be lightyears ahead by next season. Thanks to everyone involved in development.

#4,568 · (Edited)
Dear we have first part of our fuel trims from AT for the Marider/Lax FT map. Is somebody interesting to put it into the R1evo FT map (fuel is base on Marider/Lax map) ? At this moment it is optimized only from/to 1-45% of throttle (AFR 13.2). It is not possible to run the bike in current weather conditions and more like 50% of the (physical throttle opening).

Marider is going tomorrow on our dyno to produces rest of the fuel map with AT.

#4,569 ·
Dear we have first part of our fuel trims from AT for the Marider/Lax FT map. Is somebody interesting to put it into R1evo FT map (it is base on Marider/Lax map) ? At this moment it is only optimized from/to 1-45% of throttle (AFR 13.2). It is not possible to run this bike in this weather conditions more like 50% of the (physical throttle).

Marider is going tomorrow on our dyno to produces rest of the fuel map with AT.
im always up for more information. if you want to share it thats fine LAX.

in the end we all want the same thing a good reliable road going bike.

OH and power doesn't hurt also

#4,571 ·
OK guys, tomorrow I have set the dyno for a whole day for myself only and got almost brand new tire (Pilot Pure 2ct) at the rear wheel so stay tuned.. ;)

#4,578 ·
You can choose choose to apply the PC map to the current fuel map, not the stock map. It is an option you choose when you import the map.

#4,581 ·
All it would have to do is log what the change needs to be (just like what R1Evo is doing). Then you can apply the change. Granted it would not be a closed loop adjustment, but it would be better than nothing...It can be something simple...at least in my mind...

#4,582 ·
Yes, but where would it store the log? And how would you access the log? The only way the FT software writes to flash ROM is by first wiping the ROM memory and then writing. Obviously that sort of operation would not work for storing log data. It would be nice if two input/output pins on the ECU could be used for serial communication and then have an external device simply log ECU information sent through the serial lines. Of course, doing it this way you might as well use an external data logger in the first place. I built a suitable logger out of an Arduino board and an SD card shield. I am currently logging TPS, RPM, Speed sensor, MAP, AIT and AFR at 20Hz but it's capable of logging at over 50Hz. Total cost was under $100. Of course, I am also using an already existing wideband setup (Innovate Motorsports LC-1). I also made a program for my computer that will load up a map file and log file and generate a trimmed fuel map based on a target AFR map. So I guess I really don't need FT to make an AT feature anyhow :rock.

#4,583 · (Edited)
Who says you need to log in to the ECU you can log it into something like a SD card or something simple....Then use the F-T software to interpret the log file and then generate the new maps and ECU image....then you can flash it....It would only need to log gear, TPS, RPM, and the wide band O2 sensor.....Doesn't sound too complicated...

NM, I just re read your post and that is basically what you said. But yes, it is possible to do simply...

#4,599 ·
Who says you need to log in to the ECU you can log it into something like a SD card or something simple....Then use the F-T software to interpret the log file and then generate the new maps and ECU image....then you can flash it....It would only need to log gear, TPS, RPM, and the wide band O2 sensor.....Doesn't sound too complicated...
Check out the ZT-2 and the Blackbox logger. I use it as described above.

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/Products.htm

#4,585 ·
#4,590 ·
I made like 10 roller runs today /next 25 miles on a clock/ and I'm trying to fill up the map overwriting it again and again with my bike in mode A, 6th gear from 1500rpm to 14500rpm, trims are set to +/-20% but I have a question - the "% Throttle" you see on the right in the 1.0.6.4 PCV software main screen shows % opening of throttle (I mean how much you twist your right hand) or % how much YCC-T opens the butterflies? I couldn't end the work with fuel mapping today as my buddy had to go for a wedding so I left my bike in a workshop and will continue the job on Monday and maybe Tuesday. Then I will dyno R1 for top numbers..

#4,591 ·
As long as you have tapped into the TPS and not the APS, you will get what the throttle bodies are doing, not what your wrist is doing.

#4,592 ·
OK, roger that! Yes, PCV is wired to TPS so it shows YCC-T position. Will check also throttle calibration min & max sensor voltage values and eventually set them up properly, just to be sure it makes 100% accurate map.

#4,600 ·
If you wired PCV as per PCV manual you will see the % of the baffles actually opening not the twist of the throttle control handle.

To calibrate PCV for Flashtune - use diagnostic mode d01. Calibrate according to d01 that with engine not running and ignition on.

When the bike is running you will be at about 2% throttle on PCV. This is what you need if you plan to apply the throttle maps via flashtune later.

If you calibrate pcv 0% to the point when the bike is running, then this will provide inconsistency on low throttle openings when you apply the pcv map via flashtune.

#4,603 · (Edited)
Hi Elwin,
I wonder about PCV+AT calibration and do not understand something I would be very grateful for help. For example If we setup in PCV soft. 0.7V as min Voltage(engine idle) and 4.2V for WOT do we need still check d01 ? What for we need calibrate throttle position in do1 mode (diagnostic/TPS)? does it mean that when PCV is wired to ECU it can changes std. TPS reading for ECU throttling position and for this we using calibration mode do1?

I need calification

1. I understand that whatever PCV is connected or not, the throttle position in diag code should be 15 for (ignition on and idling engine) and it is 0% indication of throttle position and 0.7V in PCV soft. .
BUT base on your prev. comments and how I understood it the throttle opening % indication on idling should be visible as 2% in PCV sof. yes?

2. About diagmode. It is not possible to open the throttle on 100% in d01 diag mode because of Throtle by Wirre system and max what we can achieved is 20% code 57 ( i need calcification). It means for me that we can't calibrate throttle position in diag. mode using hand/throttle or I'm wrong.

#4,593 ·
:thumbup

#4,597 ·
Based on watching the instant fuel mileage gauge on the dash, it at least cuts fuel. But I bet it cuts both because there is no silly back fire.. I will send Chris at F-T an email and find out.

#4,611 ·
:thumbup for good info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.