Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

YEC ecu flash VS ...??

7K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  pecions 
#1 ·
Since Mauro passed away, and the other guy doesnt seem to reply my emails i wanted to ask a few things so i will check my options

I have an 09 R1 Us spec

Who else flashes the stock ecu with YEC maps?

What else is there that is tried and trued? STOCK ecu flash or replacement (same harness)

how much?

From where?

Pros and cons?

Thanks

#4 · (Edited)
The YEC flash allows the speed readout on the stock clocks/instrument cluster. The YEC flash also allows all clocks/instrument cluster functions that are present when the stock ecu is fitted.

The official YEC ecu replaces the speed readout on the clocks/instrument cluster with engine temp readout. Using this ecu, one needs either GPS or aftermarket clocks/instrument cluster to give speed readout.

You could send a PM to cr2011r1, he has 2 YEC flashed ecu and I think one of them is for sale.

#7 ·
I will save z06 from having to make the comment. There is no such thing as a YEC flash. You caneither replace the ECU with a YEC ECU, or reflash the ECU with an after market ECU image. Flashing options include Flash-Tune, Jet-Tuning ECUnleashed, or the Ebay guy that everybody incorrectly calls the YEC reflash which it is decidedly not.

If you want info about the Flash-Tune interface read the FAQ found in my signature.

#8 ·
i will save z06 from having to make the comment. There is no such thing as a yec flash. You caneither replace the ecu with a yec ecu, or reflash the ecu with an after market ecu image. Flashing options include flash-tune, jet-tuning ecunleashed, or the ebay guy that everybody incorrectly calls the yec reflash which it is decidedly not.

If you want info about the flash-tune interface read the faq found in my signature.
wow

#10 · (Edited)
Then yes R.I.P. indeed. The point is there is nothing that is a legitimate YEC flash, Yamaha has nothing to do with that. It was/is just a ECU image that he wrote with those features, in a manner similar to what F-T is working on...I would also point out that he did not claim YEC flash on his page, but listed it as a race ECU reflash. People here coined it YEC reflash...I could dig up the thread...

#11 ·
There was a time when guys became embroiled in a p!ssing contest about the various flashes or rather the different reprogrammed ecu. Thankfully those days are over and I for one am not going to rehash that type of crap. Those that were openminded chose to shed light on the subject of flashed ecu and one individual springs to mind....ffaspector.

FFaspector, the brains behind JetTune and ECU Unleashed wrote a brilliant thread called ECU Flash Clarification....here's the link:

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325436

#12 ·
That does not have the most up to date info on Flash-Tune. Check out the FAQ, or the interface help thread for the most up to date info on F-T.

#15 ·
Yes that is sad, condolences to the family.

#17 ·
Well here in the US it is only 7pm where I am. So I just got home from work...:hammer:

Anyway most recent additions are AIS disabling and speedometer corrections.

#19 ·
I don't work for F-T, just answering questions helping people out. There are a number of us working on generating good maps for 09-11 and 12+ in the interface help thread. So far we have gotten some nice maps for 09-11 with a 3/4 system. Nice smooth and strong power delivery.

#20 ·
Flashtune R&D Dept. never sleeps ! (they're having too much fun on thier R1's !)

#22 ·
Tad is definitely the best non paid "worker" Flashtune has. :fact

#23 ·
hahahahaha

#25 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
I work with the same engeneer Mauro the "ebay guy" did and now I'm in charge for US.

I don't know if you already know that after YEC reflash, you can chose to have the oem display mode or the YEC one, whithout speed and with temeperature oversized.
The other big advantage for EU models is to maintain the oem wiring harness, so lights, horn and fans still work.
For R1 11-12 the conversion includes the activation of YEC traction control. If installed on a 09-10, it needs the YEC dash and the front-wheel sensor to work.
Apart from R1 and R6, also others ecus can be modified... suzuki, honda, BMW and Kawasaki altought in theses cases, it is necesary to open fisically the ecu to change some component and reprogramm the processors. Yamaha instead doesn't need ECU to be opened and everything is made by software.

#26 ·
Hi guys,
I work with the same engeneer Mauro did and now I'm in charge for US.
I'm still working on the new web page with english information, but for those who knows spanish, you can have a look on the old page here: http://www.ifitec.es
We can also upgrade old version of YEC and stock ECU into newer, like R1 07 into 08 or R6 06 into 08-12 for having more functions like 2 maps, engine brake control etc..
Cheers
If you're trying to sell your product here you might want to think about getting a vendors membership here or you'll be shut down pretty quickly. :fact

#31 ·
Yes! I wasn't very clear, sorry.
The matter is that TC can not be activated in a 09-10 stock ecu.
TC is available for 09-10 R1 models only purchasing a genuine YEC ecu, or flashing a 11-12 ecu.
Besides, 09-10 R1 don't have speed sensor, (sold as yec part) and oem display needs to be changed for the newer one (sold as YEC too) in order to get access to TC modes.

#35 ·
Sure, you're right. The TC has been included in 2012, not in 2011. Sorry., I made confusion :chair:.
The 11 bike is the same that 09. Anyway, all I explained is for 09-10-11 models.
R1 2012 has already speed sensors, and do not need anything else than flashing the ecu or purchase a genuine YEC.
Te 09-11 need yec harness, a 2012 ecu (genuine or flashed), speed sensor and the new dash.
Now this is free of errors! (hope so!!!)

#36 ·
just saying if you want to go against some well respected people in terms of the genuine YEC..then you should probably not have an ameture telling you which model years are which.

BTW...why do you guys market yours as YEC when you have no association to Yamaha? Why not call it something unique like flashtune did (which they claim to do what a YEC can as well).

#37 ·
That is a hard blow! It was just a mistake!!!
Anyway, I don't want to go against anyone, I just say what is possible to do.
I think Mauro ("the ebay guy") sold some ecus here, so I thought many people already should know it works. It is not a novelty.
The only novelty is me here. The rest is the same than before..

About marketing as YEC, I've just talken about "flashed ecu". It would be false to say they are genuine parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.