Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Slow/Quick Starting? Battery/Gas?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  kickarsmann 
#1 ·
If I have around 80 miles or higher on the trip odometer then I sometimes have a slow start, it's possible that the weather/temperature could have some involvement in this as well. I recently had trouble starting my 2010 R1, it took me a second try to get it to start. I always wait for that 'suction' sound or whatever that occurs after you put the key in and turn it to ON. Usually takes like 3 seconds. (I was told by a friend who delivered my bike when I bought it brand new to do this)

I seem to have rather quick starts, like 1-3 seconds when the Tanks is full of gas or I have less than 80 miles on my trip odometer (I reset after each fill-up, since I ran out of gas once!)

I am not sure about what the issue is?

Starting should be quick right? Like 1 -3 seconds?

If I ride the bike to and from work everyday and it's 5 miles, of which I can get most of it done on the highway at high speed am I doing harm to the bike? (I started on a ninja 250 and was told that I should ride 15 minutes at least once a week and at least 15 minutes if bringing it out of storage and then putting it back in)

Is the battery getting charged? Do I need to ride it longer?

Is there some sort of idiot's guide to the R1 as every bike is different and the carbed ninja 250 is totally a world apart from an R1.

I'm taking the slow starts as a sign that I am probably doing something wrong riding the bike, but I don't know...

any advice?

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#3 ·
Mine is a 2010 also, I notice that it seems to happen when the temperature outside is around 50 or lower... not sure if it's weather related or not... but it may be and it may just be the fuel injection is correcting the air/fuel mix or something... I am not sure

I have done some researching and I guess it's not good to hold the starter on for 5 seconds... try for 2-3 seconds max, wait a few seconds and try again...

I'm probably going to install a quick connect for a battery tender and start plugging it in to the tender all the time though.

#4 ·
Most likely the sh!t ethanol in our fuels, try turning key on then off a few times to cycle the fuel injection and fuelpump. I use Startron in my fuel and my '12 always fires right up, no extended cranking or trying to start, it just starts.

#5 ·
so you ride the bike for like five minutes ten times a week? poor motorcycle.

#7 ·
Well if I am busy and it rains on the weekend then yeah, I do a lot of short rides.. I try to ride around longer at least once a week though if I am not riding long... heard it's better on the spark plugs for the 'ninja 250'... not sure it matters on an R1... much larger displacement....

dunno.. I'm not an expert on that subject.. not even really an amateur or better lol....

#8 ·

What up Roco :hellobye

I agree, anything less than 5 miles is considered "severe service", although I think it prolly takes him a little more than 5 minutes to go 5 miles.

Every time you start an engine, water condenses inside the crankcase. If you drive/ride less than 5 miles, you are NOT getting the oil temperature up to normal, optimal operating temperature. If you don't get the oil temp, and the combustion chamber temps up to the optimal temperature, you don't burn the water out of your crankcase, and you don't burn the carbon deposits out of the combustion chamber. If you do this everyday, you will have what is known as "sludge" inside of your engine, although, I would think quite a few bikes will get wrecked before the sludge becomes a problem.

Try to take the long way to work if work is less than 5 miles from home, or get a beater car, and just ride once in a while.

#6 ·
My '11 does the same thing when it's cold (yeah, it gets down there in SoCal) so maybe that's it. In the summer heat, fires right up.

#11 ·
I'm no expert, but wouldn't starting his bike up for 5 min or so before he took off help out? Maybe rev it up some every now and then? That's what I do when it hits anything under 60 here.

#12 ·
Well when it's 85-115 degrees out I just start it and let it run a minute to get oil up in the engine and take it slow until about 160 degrees on the bike. I tend to warm it up longer when it's 50 or lower, the manual says to not ride it hard when it says LO... so I take it real easy.... no 0-80mph in 4-5 seconds. I am still looking for a remote starter alarm system so I can warm it up more without having to stand around and wait for it. But yeah I don't think letting the bike warm up more hurts it but running the bike is better overall I think especially for charging the battery as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.