Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2K views 40 replies 12 participants last post by  MeanOne 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Well as the title says I am new here and thought I would start off on the right foot. My name is Kyle. I am 25 years old and married with 2 kids (6yr old daughter and 3yr old son). I have been riding all my life. I started riding at the age of 3 on a KTM 50 with training wheels, I started racing at the age of 6 and continued racing motocross until 2005. When I turned 16 I was all about Suzuki so I got a GSXR 600. It was fun but as you can figured I wanted some thing bigger and better so I traded up to a 06 GSXR 1000. In 07 I joined the Navy so I passed on my bike to my dad. He turned around and traded up the a Busa.

Well my career in the Navy is ending and I am gonna be moving back to Colorado (currently reside in San Diego CA).

The Navy is giving me some nice money for leaving the military so I am gonna use that to get me a toy.

1 day sitting at my house I heard (what I thought was a V-8 racing around my house) well one day my wife got a look at this "race car" she informed me that it was a white crotch rocket. Since then it was my mission to figure out this amazing bike. I spotted the guy and waved him down to pull over. He informed me that it was a 2010 R1.

I now want one of these dream sounding machines!!! I have figured out that the cross plane crank R1 is from 09+ and I know I like the look and sound of the TOCE exhaust.

Where I need your expert minds is any thoughts on what is better in the 09+ years? Do you suggest a certain year out of these bikes?

I look forward to being part of this community.

See less See more
#5 ·
07-08 was pre cross plane crank though... I under stand that it's like a 45hp drop from 08-09. I have done the standard in line 4 bike. Believe me I loved the GSXR1000. The sound of these R1's is just amazing and I ready they also did all sorts of other upgrades with the 09 from 08.

#41 · (Edited)
07-08 was pre cross plane crank though... I under stand that it's like a 45hp drop from 08-09.
45 HP DROP? Not quite...

Nice bike how much did getting that bike flashed raise the HP? Curious question, do you always ride around with an empty can of cat food?
Lol. I like this guy.

I absolutely love the sound of my 09 and being an Aussie model it has full power no flash needed. Smooooth as :cool:

Wow! Beautiful bike! :thumbup

#9 ·
09-13 are a more refined rider friendly bike. Sorta like a bike with training wheels.

04-08 a more "intermediate skilled" riders bike. Not as rider friendly as the 09-13 but not bad either

98-03 the last of the unrefined beast. Imagine if you will the power of 4,000 bulls harnessed in the elegant frame of a 2 wheeled tornado from hell. In the hands of a skilled rider (Rossi, Hayes, Stoner, Myself) It is a weapon of unimaginable potential. However if your new to riding. You may want to stick with the crossplane

#11 ·
BTW Toce is one of the few exhausts not made for performance..you can get the sound out of other exhausts that are MUCH better and performance focused. Leo/Akra/Graves/etc

If you are a straight line rider the 09+ isn't going to be the bike for you...If you race on HP numbers, the 09+ isnt' going to be the bike for you....If you like the twisties or show up to a track and want to be faster than the next guy...the 09+ will do you just fine.

#23 ·
Well I am confused as to how TOCE isn't made for power as well? It free's up the exhaust flow and gets rid of the CAT correct. I like the info on the generations of all the R1 history. I have my mind made up on 09 and newer though. I am curious on if there is any big differences from 09 to 13 and if any of these years is better then the other?

#33 ·
thats one sexy beast... so how's the A map behave? Desire68's Canadian model R1 although not drastically limited in comparison to the US version, still required a flash to make her docile... it seems it suffered from the same symptoms, just as a US model would...

#35 ·
yah.. after reflash A mode is much crispier, smooth, lovely.. D mode or STD is mellow, smooth, but def. not the snappy A.. i ride on STD mode around town, but as soon as i'm on the freeway and out of town, its A mode.. you're right... fully loaded!.. unless its raining... lol

sounds like y'all got a much better deal then.. that is how it should come from the factory

#36 ·
Welcome hoagierollz , my '12 gained almost 8hp at peak flashed with Flashtune when fully stock and over 15hp with Graves full exhaust added (not even tuned yet). Any exhaust will give pretty good sound, TOCE's exhaust is "avant garde" in it's apperance IMO, most here would prefer a racing based system. For the money any Leo -Akra- Graves will give better quality and performance over TOCE, and better looks too IMO. Some '09 models had a CCT problem, if you are buying used I would suggest the newest you can afford. '11 models can still be found new for a nice price.

#38 ·
Thanks Kurt. I think after alot of the reading I have done I am wanting to steer away from the TOCE exhaust and looking like the under body graves would be better. My wife wouldn't like having her legs burnt plus it a should give a nice power gain. It's hard to under stand sound quality do to people's cameras all sounding different

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.