Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

SuperStreet Bike Magazine Nov 2012 Feature: "50th Red & White Anniversary Scheme"

17K views 139 replies 50 participants last post by  1OGR1 
#1 · (Edited)
SuperStreet Bike Magazine Nov 2012 Feature: "50th Red & White Anniversary Scheme"

I was featured in the November 2012 issue of SuperStreet Bike Magazine. I attached my article of my 2004 Yamaha R1 LE at the bottom. Please let me know what you guys think:moto: Here's a link to my SSB Mag article: http://www.superstreetbike.com/features/1211_sbkp_2004_yamaha_r1/

-Engine-
*2006 Yamaha R1 LE Graves Motorsports Supersport Race Spec Engine (185 hp & 87 lbs Torque to the Rear Wheel)
*Akrapovic Evo2 Full Titanium Exhaust System
*BMC Race Air Filter
*BMW OEM Antifreeze Engine Coolant
*DID GOLD ERV3 520 Chain
*Driven Front 16 Tooth Sprocket
*Drive Systems Superlite 47 Tooth Rear Sprocket
*Factory Pro Velocity Stacks
*Graves EXUP Valve Eliminator Adaptor
*Graves Oil Pump
*Graves Smog Block Off Plates
*Graves Valve Grinding & Resurfacing of Heads
*Graves Water Pump
*H20 Performance Oversized Race Radiator
*Motul 300V Competition Synthetic Oil
*Samco Silicone Hose Radiator Kit
*STM Slipper Clutch
*YEC Base Gaskets
*YEC Head Gaskets
*YEC Valve Springs

-Electronics-
*AIM Sports GPS Module
*AIM Sports Pista Digital Dash with Full Data Acquisition
*AvioRace 2 Button Billet Stop/Start Switch
*Dynojet Ignition Module
*Dynojet Power Commander
*Shorai 1.5 lbs Lithium Battery
*Speedohealer v4
*XT Racing Potentiometer Sensor with SLS130 Quick Release Kit & Custom 54mm Fork Bracket
*YEC ECU

-Suspension-
*2006 Yamaha R1 Swingarm Powder Coated Matte Black
*17’ OZ Racing Cattiva Forged Magnesium Matte Black Front Wheel with Dunlop Superbike Slick N-Tec UK 120/70
*17’ OZ Racing Cattiva Forged Magnesium Matte Black Rear Wheel with Dunlop Superbike Slick N-Tec USA 190/55
*Ohlins FGRT 810 Forks with SBK Internals
*Ohlins YA-343 Rear Shock With Graves Spec Valving
*Ohlins SD-027 Steering Damper with Harris Performance Fork Damper Bracket

-Brakes-
*ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid DOT 4
*BrakeTech Front 320mm x 6.5mm Axis/Iron SBK-Spec Full-Floating Narrow Band Rotors
*BrakeTech Rear AXIS 220mm x 5mm Full Floating Rotor
*Brembo Front Brake Reservoir Relocator Kit
*Brembo Front Clear Brake Reservoir Tubing
*Brembo CNC 108mm GP4-RR 32/36 Monoblock Front Calipers with Nickel Cadmium Finish
*Brembo HP Rear Caliper
*Ferodo SinterGrip XRAC Racing Brake Pads (with Array Cooling)
*Brembo (Model: x98.A7.C1) GP Billet LTD Race Radial Pump 19x18 Rossi/Hayden Front Brake Master Cylinder
*Galfer Rear Custom Superbike Brake Line
*HRC Rear Brake Reservoir Kit
*Spiegler Custom 3 Line Type 950 Fitting Brake Lines
*Spiegler Dry Brake Sockets with Banjo Fittings
*Spiegler Quick Disconnect Dry Brake Plugs

-Controls-
*Attack Performance Upper & Lower Triple Tree Clamps with Custom Ignition Bracket
*Brembo Clutch Half Lever
*Brembo HPK Clutch Cable Perch
*Brembo GP Master Cylinder Half Lever
*Brembo GP Remote Adjuster with Graves Motorsports Bracket
*Renthal Adjustable Clipons
*Sato Racing Adjustable Rearsets with GP Shift

-Body & Paint-
*3M Paint Protective Film by Elite Auto Films
*Catalyst Composites Race Bodywork
*CleverWolf Racing Carbon Rear Hugger
*Custom Painted “50th Anniversary of Grand Prix Racing in Red & White” by MotoGloss
*Decals by Ace Custom Graphics & Fatlace
*Graves Gloss Black Fairing Stay
*GTYR Carbon Exhaust Heat Shield
*Puig Clear Double Bubble Windscreen

-Accessories-
*Accosato Quick Release Gas Cap
*Driven Preload Gold Fork Adjustors
*Driven Hand Grips
*Gilles Chain Adjusters
*Gilles GP Lifts
*Graves Left Engine Crankcase Cover
*Graves Quick Release Fairing Stay Race Fit
*Graves Rear Brake Return Spring
*H20 Performance Custom Oversized Radiator Guard
*HRC Overflow Radiator Bottle with Brembo Clear Reservoir Tubing
*Intuitive Frame Sliders
*Moose .028 Safety Wires
*MotionPro 1/4 Quick Throttle
*ProBolt Titanium Sump Oil Drain Plug Bolt
*ProBolt Titanium Rear Axle Nut
*ProBolt Titanium Swingarm Adjusters
*ProBolt Titanium Unsprung Race Bolt Kit with Predrilled Heads
*Racebolts Titanium Front & Rear Axles
*Racebolts ¼ Turn D-Ring Fasteners
*R&G Clutch and Shifter Sliders
*R&G Swingarm Sliders
*RhinoMoto Fork Sliders
*RhinoMoto Rear Axle Sliders
*Rizoma Oil Cap
*Rizoma Pro Guard System Hand/Lever Protectors
*StompGrip Clear Four Piece Tank Kit
*StompGrip Clear Tank Protector
*StompGrip Clear UniTankTop
*Woodcraft Left & Right Engine Case Covers
*Valter Moto AR50 Aluminum Pro Racing Rear Prong Paddock Stand
*Yoyodyne Rear Titanium Race Caliper Bolts with Predrilled Heads

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
:bow Fvckin sick, dude. But you already knew that! :lol

#5 ·
IIRC, Chris' bike (burn-z) was the first to be featured in SSB from the forum that wasn't stretched or drag inspired.

Congrats to the OP on the feature. :thumbup

#8 ·
I saw that last week when the issue came out. I figured I'd wait for you to post it up. Congrats Jovan. Your build is without a doubt one of my all time favorites and it just keeps getting better. I remember the guy that won this years SSB Yamaha build contest when he came here begging for votes (had a Honda VFR single sided swinger and not much else) and ended up getting banned because we didn't give him the feedback he was expecting. I told him his bike wasn't even in the same league as yours and he got all pissy.

#10 ·
This should've been the TRUE winner of the SSB build-off. Great job brother again and congrats on the feature :bow

I remember the guy that won this years SSB Yamaha build contest when he came here begging for votes (had a Honda VFR single sided swinger and not much else) and ended up getting banned because we didn't give him the feedback he was expecting. I told him his bike wasn't even in the same league as yours and he got all pissy.
I was thinking the same thing, but held my tongue when he came on here :lol

#40 ·
Thanks Burn-Z:D
I really had a hard time trying to decide what to do. The truth is most of the mods I have are a complete waste for me to ride around town. Making it a straight up track bike will allow me to learn more about chassis setup and development.
Now, my focus will be track only. It is a waste to have this bike on the street at this point. To be honest, my high end aftermarket parts will never realize their ability and multiply the odds of damaging them in an accident or crash...
As far as the SSB show goes, the guy with the VFR single sided swingarm did take 1st place under the Amateur category. I was just surprised because the only mods he had was a few carbon bits, wheels, and the VFR swingarm. And you're absolutely right, he's not in my league at all. Total retail value of aftermarket parts I have on my bike is about $55,000. That's nothing close to what that guy spent on his bike. It didn't have any trick parts neither a paint job too. It is what it is... I just noticed when I was at MotoGP Laguna Seca that most people don't know any detailed parts on a motorcycle. The only thing that attracts people are the crazy paint jobs and the chrome. I figured since its MotoGP people would love a fully tricked out racebikes with all the goodies. I thought my bike would place 1st and stand out under the amateur class since I was the only tricked out racebike there but I guess I was wrong:dunno

#41 ·
Hey Jovan, I'm with you 1000%. I thought the same thing too and I didn't even get invited to show my bike. At least we got the last laugh when Sean from SSB called and said they wanted to feature the bikes. Steve will be there some day too if he makes up his mind and finishes his build. I'm right there with you on riding it on the street too. It holds no appeal anymore and is a waste imo but to each his own. I'm almost finished with mine again after my crash in July but it'll be ready for Barber next week. Thanks for the inspiration. I'll keep working on it til it gets closer to yours. They just keep evolving...forever???? :thumbup

Crappy pic I took tonight after I got it home again.

#49 ·
Hey Jovan, I'm with you 1000%. I thought the same thing too and I didn't even get invited to show my bike. At least we got the last laugh when Sean from SSB called and said they wanted to feature the bikes. Steve will be there some day too if he makes up his mind and finishes his build. I'm right there with you on riding it on the street too. It holds no appeal anymore and is a waste imo but to each his own. I'm almost finished with mine again after my crash in July but it'll be ready for Barber next week. Thanks for the inspiration. I'll keep working on it til it gets closer to yours. They just keep evolving...forever???? :thumbup
And to think you were going to be content with riding the street before introduced you to ZARS. :lol

Between all of the really nice bikes on here, there's definitely a good list of parts can get ideas on. While I'm not willing to put as much money into building a supersport bike, I do admire and appreciate all the work that goes into them. :thumbup

#9 ·
Very nice indeed!
Mike

#52 ·
Thanks for the nice compliment DouglasyzfR1:cool:
SSB didn't want a half naked chick to model next to my R1 because they wanted to show the whole entire bike with all the detailed parts I added to it:corn

#19 ·
Beautiful build 10GR1 ! ! Bike came out insane. Congrats on the Feature..

#58 ·
Thanks "mvera" for the kind words:tocoo: I was shocked that I made the feature in SSB magazine knowing that I didn't take 1st at MotoGP Laguna Seca this year but I am very honored that I was selected based on my long expensive list of upgrades:fact I know I definitely put a lot of work & :dollar into my build which took me 7 1/2 years:beer

#24 ·
wick3d build :thumbup

#85 ·
Thanks so much for the kind words, I really appreciate it. To be honest, I never thought building my R1 could be this much fun. I'm glad I can be such an inspiration to you and other fellow members on this forum:rock:riding:thumbup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.