Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

What have you done to your R1 this past week?

1M views 12K replies 922 participants last post by  JLUnlimited 
#1 ·
Share the fun stuff you did with your favorite mistress.

Last weekend, I finally got around to something that was nagging me for a while. When I went to make right hand turns, I couldn't put my weight on the outside peg and lean as much as I wanted to. Turns out the peg knurls were all gone from over 8 years of riding. :scared

I moved around the worn out pegs of my Gilles rearset, swapped left for right to get the knurls to bite into my boots. Forgot what a pita they are to get access to. :mad:

Also couple bolts were seized. Bought some extractor bits but that didn't work. :rant:

I heated the frame and that wouldn't bulge. :flame:
I took a mini grinder disk to my dremel and made a big phillips head and I still couldn't torque it out. So I got my biggest screwdriver and hammer. Finally, got the top bolt to go. :chair:

The 2nd one still wouldn't bulge. Went back to the dremel and ground off most of the bolt top. Then it finally came out. A simple 10 minute job took 2 hours of cursing. :crash

Replaced all 4 bolts with stainless bolts this time. In the end, took a short ride up in the nearby hills. And all is well. :riding:

See less See more
Reactions: jheywood
#903 ·
Hi Guys:

I think im gonna share with ya some past week work, well that how it goes...
It was time to ghange the engine oil so after i take the old oil out and went to screw the bolt i damege the threads of the crakcase cover ya big deal, the i went to the yamaha main dealer i bought a new cover and it comes with a new bolt with washer and gascket 13 bolts and a 1 dowle and about 3'' long copper dowle with 2 O rings.

So i start to remove the headers and then the cover, and install the new cover with the gascket and i some of bond just for safty reasen, i dont want any oil spills to the rear tyre while im driving, and i add the new oil Motul 300v 15-50 double ester, this is my first using motul oil for the engine, this oil motul it looks more quality than the yamalube 15-50 synthitic oil, till now i did not ride the bike when i do i will let you.

Also it was a chance to change the water hose the one that locait behind the headers, i install samco silicone hose.

Flush the old the radiator water, and pour a new 2 litre disteld water and red line water wetter.

Hope this will do...
thx

#905 ·
How do people wait so long to hang sweet kit?! I say to myself, ok I will instal tomorrow....before you know it its 1:00 AM and Im still in the garage tring to knock it out!!! Im not a big "winter modding" kinda guy.:lol i hang parts as i get them,:lol

Saki get them calipers powder coated to match the fork lowers, it changes the whole front end.:flex:

#907 ·
How do people wait so long to hang sweet kit?! I say to myself, ok I will instal tomorrow....before you know it its 1:00 AM and Im still in the garage tring to knock it out!!! Im not a big "winter modding" kinda guy.:lol i hang parts as i get them,:lol
I'm with you I can't ever wait to install parts. I track my packages a dozen times a day till they arrive and I'll leave work early to go put them on when I know they are sitting at my door!!!

#911 ·
I had to bring mine in from the cold. It's in the middle of my shop for now but has a room of it own for the long winter season.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

#916 ·
more of a what I did this month post
Finished my 2008 motor install
2008 forks and Calipers
Braced swingarm
Painted my Sato GP cans black
still deciding if I want to paint my lowers black or keep them white

Very nice indeed. I would probably leave the white or purchase a carbon lower and paint parts of it in white and fit a carbon front guard and it would flow nicely :boobies

#921 ·
Ya guys im back due to #903 post.

Well i have tried the Motul engine oil 15W50 Double Ester and i can tell ya its awesome oil.

1-Gear shift more easly.
2-Better clutch engage.
3-Smoother cluth.
4-Smoother engine.
5-Engine sound i think its crispier, well its!

Last 2 weeks ago with the old oil 15W50 yamalube the clutch ways giving me signs to be changed, with Motul i did not see these sings, maybe in the near future these sings will be back but for how long i have no idea!

Now I love Motul oils.

I'm still using the OEM oil filter, next time i would like to try the Amsoil oil filter with new clutch from Barnett, i hope.

Cheers

#933 ·
Thanks bro, just this ones atm
Looking GREAT brotha! :thumbup I really like what you've done with the bike. :yesnod

Like I said in my PM, the brake setup is out of this world! :flex:

#931 ·
After 4 years of sitting in storage and the last 8 months in my garage, I finally dusted off my 07 R1 and took her to the shop to be brought back to life!
:thumbup

#930 ·
end of season round of mods
-switched back to red pass. seat from the white one i had.
-gilles rear sets
-gilles chain adjusters (still looking for deal on the lifters if any venders see this)
-decepticons stickers