Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

New '06... Wait. New '12 Mod Addicted Owner???

137K views 804 replies 92 participants last post by  APO2112 
#1 ·
Alright. If you read my original thread, "'06 mod addicted owner", You know a little of my background and my reasoning for buying an R1. She is a prestine, 2006 50th Anniversary around 10k miles (at that time) with a couple bits already installed. Reason for not gunning for a brand new bike was the theme, "reasonable" my wife implied as this was a replacement vehicle that will have little to no financial impact on our spending. Yeah right... Well, an opportunity came up to refi our Infinity with our credit union for an amazing rate, so we decided to cash in on it. The topic of the bike came up, and we looked at our financing options and decided we wanted to refi the bike for a ridiculously low rate as well. Our credit union told us that they wouldn't refi it unless I gave them a down payment on the new loan, reason being, the value of the bike was less than the amount currently financed. :shake Also, they told me this was the last year they could actually finance an '06, so looking for decent trade-in value in the future was going to get very slim very fast. I already didn't have piece of mind knowing if I wrecked this bike today, the insurance claim wouldn't cover my loan amount :no So, after a couple weeks of discussions and financial planning, believe it or not, I'm in a position to unload the '06 and pick up a new '12 :boobies

Now don't get me wrong, I fell in love with my R1. The '06 has the best of all worlds... Especially when you upgrade the suspension. Power, looks, flickability, all of the above... Just at too much of a financial risk for me at this moment. :(

Now, I'm naturally a tough negotiator, and after some additional coaching from my Uncle-in-law (he's the best number cruncher in my circle by far and also my favorite unlce :fact), I was ready to hit the market hard and see what I could get for the amount I'm willing to pay, which is nothing over MSRP O.T.D for starters...

I called a few dealers and did some light negotiations, even visited a few and got the '06 appraised for trade-in value. No one was willing to give me the numbers I wanted, so the search continued into Labor Day weekend.

Then I found a dealer in Azuza that promised me top dollar for my trade in before I walked into the building :flex:

I spotted a lovely Raven R1, though they had all the '12 models, for some reason the new Raven stuck out the most...

They called this "Indian Theme" :shake

'12 in Blue

'12 Raven

And me being a Honda boy previously, I had to look at other brands... Like Ducati and this Honda CBR 1000RR :dunno

Honda CBR1000RR Dash and Showa's

I sent those pictures to my wife's cell, and she immediately replied back and told me to get the black one. So the black one it is... :thumbup

The negotiations began. They initially came in with the MSRP of the bike, plus dealer prep, plus delievery fees, plus tax and DMV fees; basically take that number and add whatever was left on the last loan into this one. I immediately got that number down by price-matching with a local competitive Yamaha dealer that advertised their new R1's for a stupid low price. Then they wanted to appraise my bike, but before we could go outside and take a look at it, they tried to ask me how much I owe; that answer wasn't coming out until I got my numbers FIRST :gengar:

Long story short, they infact DID come back with the highest appraised value, but I knew I could get them up a little higher, but we'll see...

So we sit down for some hard number crunching. My #1 goal was to get them to buy the R1 for the highest amount possible, and whatever little money is left over to carry it into my new price... That being said, I know I'm going to take a hit, but the size of the hit is based on how much I can get them down... So myself and the sales manager (the sales rep has been pushed aside at this point) begin negotiating like two veteran mortgage brokers... About an hour goes by with back and forth... Each time the number is dropping... $19k OTD, $18,5 OTD, $17k OTD, $16,5 OTD... And now the numbers are finally starting to make sense :yesnod And after about another 30 minutes going back and for with the sales manager (even the owner got involved at one point to approve the numbers) and a couple times I was willing to walk away (even noting that this model is already a year old), we finally came to a number OTD I was more than happy with. They basically paid off my bad loan for free and gave me a killer deal on a '12 R1. Had them write up a sales contract and took that number to my credit union and viola! New 2012 Raven R1 for Mark. :riding

But now we have a slight problem... I need to take most the mods off my bike before turning it in as they give ZERO value to the bike appraisal!!!

So in a day's work starting around noon, I started putting these OEM parts back on the bike:

Aftermarket parts being removed and replaced with OEM:

-Ohlins Shock
-Rizoma Oil Cap
-SSR Gas Cap
-Rizoma Res & Bracket
-Rizoma Grips & Conical Ends
-Ohlins Damper
-Evotech Triple Nut
-D-Zus fasteners
-A&R Motorsports HID's
-Power Commander III USB

Aftermarket bits they are staying with the bike (since I either sold or don't have the OEM parts)

-Galfer Rotors Front & Back (I think I'm done with Galfer anyway)
-Puig DB Windscreen
-Graves Velocity Stacks
-K&N Filter
-Driven Block Off Plates (not worth replacing OEM AIS)
-Sato Racing Rearsets
-Vortex Top Triple (OEM yolk is trashed)
-Brembo MK2 MC
-OEM Solo Cowl

HID removal, D-Zus, gas cap, and oil cap

OEM Damper

OEM Brake res.

Power Commander, Ohlins Shock

So after about 8 hours of labor I have most of the OEM items replaced. All that is left is the Rizoma grips (to be replaced with Rethal's) and if I can find a front master before Friday I could keep the Brembo MK2. :sing:

Looks like some lucky guy is going to inherit all those goodies... :corn

I guess it's safe to say that I'm crossing over to the CROSSPLANE side :ncont::ncont::ncont:

PARTS ARE FOR SALE... OHLINS SHOCK AND POWER COMMANDER FOR NOW... SEE MY SIG!

See less See more
#247 ·
absolutely stellar!!... i'll have to hit you up for small q&a if i pick one up...

i'm loving this suckah though... wow... impressed..

#248 ·
Im at a lost for words. This is an amazing build so far. Definitely will continue to follow this one...

#253 ·
Thanks brotha! :thumbup

Gkfksnskiflglflckabggcofkdbxifnbskfvfn

I didn't know what else to say!! :lol Absolutely stunning brotha!!

Rear Ohlins... Need it
me too :lol
Flash... Need it
MDI belly pan... Need it
me too
Dash... Need it

Ohlins Forks... Need it
Carrozerria Wheels... Need'em
Race Fairings... Need it

:yesnod
Looks SWEET!!!
Thank you sir!

Those connectors look pretty cool. May have to pick some up for future projects.
You can find them on Amazon or posi-lock.com

seriously such a sick ass build man
Thanks brotha! How is the R6?

Thanks for all the great feedback guys :bow

Another package came in today...

Time for some weight loss...

8-cell vs. OEM

I was really hanging out for my new boots to show up, but I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow :(

#249 ·
Gkfksnskiflglflckabggcofkdbxifnbskfvfn

I didn't know what else to say!! :lol Absolutely stunning brotha!!

Rear Ohlins... Need it
Flash... Need it
MDI belly pan... Need it
Dash... Need it

:yesnod

#254 ·
Excellent batch of goodies Sir...!!!!! I guess I'm waiting like everyone else to see whats up next?

I'm thinking a 007-ish throttle grip that only twists when your hand grabs it...yes, I did see Skyfall. :pimp

#255 ·
Grrrr.... :shake

So I installed my new battery and then decided to make some changes to the TL setup... No can do. The 8-cell battery doesn't have enough juice to start the bike with the dash on (even with the HID's disconnected) So in order for me to recalibrate with the engine running, it must be done with the OEM battery :shake Now it's time to put the 8-cell back in and finally go for a ride :lol

#257 ·
First impressions? Well, today I rode for the first time and :ncont: I love it. Display is big, easy to read, and very informative. My temp sensor was putting out some weird numbers until the bike heated and cooled a few times; now it shows 205F when the fans kick on, which the fans are set to at 205 so I'm good there. I may need to re-calibrate to get my speed perfect... I know my commute is exactly 40.1 miles A to B, and this dash clocked about 44.9 miles, so I know there is some tweaking to be had there... I'm guessing it's displaying a faster speed than I am actually going :dunno It takes a second for the dash to figure out which gear I'm in sometimes, which is funny- Pull the clutch in and it doesn't know wtf is going on; assumes I'm in 2nd :lol

This thing is built solid BTW, it's not plastic, it has an aluminum case.

The fuel trip counter is pretty cool... You basically program how many miles you can get to the tank and it will display the low fuel light when there are 30 miles remaining. I guess this resolves fuel light issues we were trying to figure out in older threads... You'd be surprised how much you can program with one button on the TL :fact I mounted the button to my clutch perch bolt for now, but when my Harris/Brembo perch comes in I need to find another location for it... Ben fitted his to the switch gear, I may go that route :dunno

All in all, if I had the money lying around again for another TL, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat :yesnod It really cleans up the look of the cockpit- Makes my 2012 look like a 2012 :lol I was torn between this one and the HM Dash, but I'm glad I picked this one :fact

Posi-Taps made the install and troubleshooting a dream- I knew after calibrating the dash on my rear stand it would throw a check engine light due to the TCS... I took my windscreen off, plugged in my OEM dash, got rid of error code 69, unplugged and re-installed the windscreen. Done.

Yes, the dash makes me feel like I'm Jame Bond :crash

#263 ·
Your gonna love the Supertech R's man. I have the GP Tracks and they are so comfortable, i didn't even have to brake them in!
Mike

#265 ·
Jeez man! The pace at which this build is moving is incredible! The TL dash is awesome, I'm glad my trials helped you suss it. I had similar battery trouble... I ended up swapping the 8 cell Shorai for a 12 cell, which cranks up no problem, even while stuffing around with the dash. :thumbup

#266 ·
I realized as soon as i pressed the laptimer button and switched on the ignition that an 8-cell wasn't enough :lol I figured I could just 'blip' the ignition to jump into the TL setup with the engine running. Ghetto, but I figured I won't be jumping in the TL setup to make changes often once I get it setup perfectly. Does your model have the Fuel Trip countdown? It looks like they changed a few things with this new model :confused:

#267 ·
A nice little Monday mod to clean up the look...

Driven Mirror Block-Off Plates from MotoMummy

I believe I'll be going with Riders Discount for the CRG Mirrors; I know I'm going to run at least one to be legal. At any rate, this is not just a visual mod as I now have 600g weight loss on the front-end :flex :lol

More coming soon... Stay tuned :drevil:

#268 ·
Just a quick update since I've done a bit of winter detailing and a new set of rubber :flex:

My 80 mile commute on the 605 for three months :shake

Check out the center...

Fresh rubbers from SportbikeTrackGear.com

All mounted and balanced...

Back on the bike...

...And stopped by RaceTech to make some adjustments to the o' suspenders...

More parts coming soon... Just waiting on logistics... :sing:

#270 ·
I just read this entire thread in my office at work. All I can say is damn!!!:bow
This thing is sick! Definitely got some ideas and inspiration for my own. Looking forward to the ride this weekend. Just gotta head up to FlashTune tomorrow for some updates and check calibration after the accident. I'm gonna park mine well away from yours so mine doesn't look so plain :fact

#273 · (Edited)
UPDATE!!!

Got a package from these guys today... Only took eh? 2+ months? :lol

Lacomoto WSBK Hugger and CF Swingarm Covers...

I wanted all of my carbon fiber to match, so when I placed an order with Lacomoto I sent pics of my current carbon from MDI, along with the style and material details. The extra month delay was due to Lacomoto not having the particular carbon fiber material I requested in stock and had to wait for them to get it, build the parts, then ship to the US :dunno Needless to say, that sh!t was well worth the wait...

More pics to come... I had to pick it up on my lunch break as USPS tried to deliver it yesterday as if people don't have jobs during business hours :shake Quality is what we expect from Lacomoto, if not better... This sh!t is beautiful... Hugger came with mounting hardware... I haven't even unwrapped the CF swingarm covers yet- I'm just here sitting at work looking like:

Now it's time to figure out what I'm going to use to mount the covers... :drevil:

#274 ·
Ummmm, excuse me, all I would like to say at this point is HELL TO THE YES!

Someone, cough cough me, tried to pick up his reflashed ECU today, but couldn't make it to the Post Office in time... :rant No worries, I'll be there at 0900 like this :thumbup ready to pick that beast up. :yesnod

#275 ·
I'm glad you're local to me. One of my next mods is gonna be that TL dash and a shorai battery. Gonna need some help to get that thing installed though.

#278 ·
All set for BOTM for Feb !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.