Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Need some opinions.

689 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  cdurrah 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, not exactly new to the forum (I look around, ALOT), or to R1's at that, but this is probably one of my first big posts..(so it's probably not going to be very pretty)

But I'll give you a bit of background information on the bike that I'm going to be asking you about.

I bought this 2004 R1 about a year ago, had about 25,XXX or so miles on it? Maybe closer to 27,XXX? I’m not exactly sure, but I rode it over my leave time when I got to be back home for awhile and I have brought it to about 29,XXX.

However it IS a salvaged title, but I’ve never had any problems with it whatsoever, runs like a charm. It does have some scratches on the fairings though (girlfriend knocked it over on accident), but nothing too serious at all (@ more than 10 feet away or going more than 10 MPH you can’t notice them at all) Granted it needs a tune up, so I’m going to get a tune up when I get back home to it in about 3 weeks, fluids, plugs and all that (not valves or anything).

I bought some new parts for it also

-new mirrors that have integrated turn signals in them
-integrated tail light
-YZF grips
-carbon fiber seat
-carbon fiber hugger and chain protector? (if that’s what it’s called).
-shorty clutch levers
-New baffle kit for stock exhaust

(None of these parts are in the pictures since I’m not able to be with the bike, currently stationed somewhere else) Other than that it’s pretty much bone stock, aside from the HIDs up front.

These are all parts that I plan on putting on the bike when I get home along with the tune up.

My big predicament is whether to
1. Keep this bike and just ride it till it dies…
2. Mod it to hell and see what happens….. (what the hell could I do to it that won't dig too much of a hole in my pocket, I'm in the army.... HAHAHAH)
3. SELL IT (how much could I get for it?) and go with my dream and get a S1000RR or 1098/1199. (I know I know, but I just love those two bikes to death)

So if you guys could give me an input on that it’d be greatly appreciated.

PS. Hometown is Inland Empire, California. So the bike is there, and I'd be selling it there.

Please and thank you!

Be safe out there, and have fun on your bikes for me!

See less See more
#2 ·
:hellobye

Thanks for your service. :thumbup

Personally, I would just keep it, put the mods that you have ready for it now on and call it good for a while. It's end of season here in the US, so I'm guessing you're in the same predicament. If it's SoCal or FL, might be different and year round riding so you might not get hit as bad on resale as you would now.

#5 ·
More questions if you don't mind...

Well with that said, how many miles would it be wise to do work on the valves/clutch/air filter/full tune up or whatever its called....obviously I'm not a mechanic at all, just plan on taking it to the shop to do it, I don't have the time to do it all myself.

Try to enjoy the leave I have with my family as much as I can, never really get to see them.

I tried to call the guy I bought the bike from to ask about some things but he never got back to me...

Thanks for your reply.

#6 ·
I think it differs a little from model to model, so I cant tell you, but your manual should tell you what the service intervals are, and what checks should be done at each interval.

I have an 01 with over twice your milage, and its still going strong, although I have decided to pull it down to do a tidy up - it wasnt needed, Im just doing it

#8 ·
Keep it. The key is replacing parts that will dramatically alter the personality of the bike. I blew the engine on my 06...I was debating selling it for something new like the KTM RC8 or the s1000rr. I ride as much as I can to work and on the weekends; but honestly I just couldnt justify spending that kind of money in a recession. So i decided to replace the engine and mod it with all the things I had held off on trying to be conservative. With a new exhaust, brakes, HID's, levers, sprocket, rearsets, and wheels its totally different bike. and for a fraction of the cost of buying a new one and doing the same mods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.