Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

FlashTune ECU Flashing Interface

2M views 13K replies 451 participants last post by  Tad158 
#1 ·
I got the type 1 ECU flashing interface from Flashtune today.

Here are the tuneable features for the 07-08 R1:
-Fuel table bias (ECU uses a MAP vs RPM and a TPS vs RPM table for fueling, the bias adjusts how much each table contributes to the final value used to control the injectors.)
-TPS vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-MAP vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-TPS vs RPM Ignition map (per gear)
-Engine braking
-YCCT APS vs RPM throttle maps (not directly edittable, can choose between two preset maps: stock and "race")
-Fan temps (stock or 205*F on, 195*F off)
-Immobilizer Operation (Normal or Bypassed)
-Yes, you can import .djm PCIII maps into the software, the software then scales the fuel maps for flashing the ECU just like the PCIII does.

Flashtune does claim to be actively expanding the software to allow for other adjustments as well.

I flashed my ECU with the "race" YCCT map and used the 6th gear ignition map for all gears. My bike does now idle around 1900 RPMs. After looking at the "race" YCCT map closer I believe it may be to blame. Aside from the high idle everything worked great. I went out for a quick ride and was able to power up 2nd gear sit-down wheelies, I tried hard before but it never happened. The bike does feel like it has a little extra pep.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the YCCT maps and the 1st and 6th gear ignition maps.

Attachments

See less See more
#4,705 · (Edited)
Awesome, glad they fixed the speedometer bug. If anyone gets a chance to test this, please report back! I'll be flashing mine with the latest update today, but I won't be hitting 150+. Sorry to all other members for clogging the thread with that banter. On a side note, Bazzaz arrives today. I'll have it installed and a map set up by the end of the weekend, I'll be sure to report back.

#4,706 ·
Maybe you and Marider could join forces on a detailed how-to on the the Bazzaz installation:thumbup

#4,709 ·
Ahh, that looks good :thumbup

#4,708 ·
Question fellas.....wasn't sure where to put this....my plan is get it flashed to get rid of restrictions, change fans, speedo healer, turn off o2 sensor....keep the stock map. Then put on a PCV and get a custom tune....then take off the PCV and get it flashed again importing the custom map. Do I/should I keep the o2 sensor? I was going to turn it off in the flash...if I do turn it off, do I just keep it connected and installed? I would think it wouldn't matter since its off. Also, how much gas mileage can I expect to lose? This will be a double duty and I plan on a lot of miles next year....thanks in advance! (oh, it's an 11)...

#4,721 ·
Question fellas.....wasn't sure where to put this....my plan is get it flashed to get rid of restrictions, change fans, speedo healer, turn off o2 sensor....keep the stock map. Then put on a PCV and get a custom tune....then take off the PCV and get it flashed again importing the custom map. Do I/should I keep the o2 sensor? I was going to turn it off in the flash...if I do turn it off, do I just keep it connected and installed? I would think it wouldn't matter since its off. Also, how much gas mileage can I expect to lose? This will be a double duty and I plan on a lot of miles next year....thanks in advance! (oh, it's an 11)...
Ugh! I don't wanna deal with 20mpg.... So, how to I tune it then? Flash, disable o2', PCV instal (no o2 optimizer), custom tune, flash again, turn on o2, import custom map, un-install PCV? What does the Pcv o2 optimizer do?
All I am saying is present both options because he was clearly concerned about mileage....I am only worried about giving people good unbiased info here. That is all....:argue over....I am just trying to get/give people all the info....;)

#4,711 ·
I would argue the opposite. If you ride the bike on a highway AT ALL...you want at most 75% bias. Track only is fine for TPS map. If you are worried about fuel mileage on the street go with 50%.

Just ask R1NStang why he put his O2 sensor back in....~20 MPG going down the highway or ~33MPG

#4,712 ·
Ugh! I don't wanna deal with 20mpg.... So, how to I tune it then? Flash, disable o2', PCV instal (no o2 optimizer), custom tune, flash again, turn on o2, import custom map, un-install PCV? What does the Pcv o2 optimizer do?

#4,714 ·
Sorry for small off-topic but if someone want to develop Bazzaz fuel map for US model I have ZFi TC + Z-AFM units for sale. They are still in US (selling 'cause I bought another set here in EU and don't need both of them).

PS: after my last dyno map my mileage improved a lot, now it shows 26-28 mpg + (before it was 21mpg).

#4,716 ·
So you're getting 28 without the o2 sensor? I can live with that. I'm only getting 32 now stock

#4,715 ·
Could you shoot me the map to look at?
Bike is in storage so no riding atm but want to stay in the loop during my involuntary cager period :machinegu....:bulsh:

#4,717 · (Edited)
Marshdrummer, your steps above are correct. That is basically what R1NStang did (minus the dyno tune) and he enjoys the result. I run the PeenV2 map and still get 32 running down the highway, flogging it on track or in the twisties is a different story.

AKDMA, for street riding if you are worried about getting the most performance out of your bike below 9% TPS....:dundun:....I am pretty sure the bike only make like 30 HP or less down there to go down the highway....is it really a concern at that point?:dunno

GreenStreak runs solidly in the A group with the bias set to 75%. It should also be said that if you re read my post, I said that on the track disabling the O2 sensor is the way to go and what I do, but is clearly not at all necessary. But seriously if you don't have an AT, why disable the OEM O2 sensor?

#4,718 ·
In my case, it would be 100% necessary because I've removed the o2 sensor in favor of my Bazzaz wideband. I prefer to go by mapping 100% as opposed to the o2 sensor, been running it like that since I got the interface, works great. I don't commute, I don't care about anything related to MPG or economy.

#4,719 ·
Agreed, but in the case of what Marshdrummer is asking questions about, he seems to, and was going to remove the PCV in the end. So for HIS case, why would you apply YOUR case/desires to him. I am just saying to be conscious to the other person's question before responding to what your setup is. Remember HIS performance equation my also include MPG....especially the way he phrased his original question...

MPG matters to me too, because there are lots of straight roads between me and the twistes, why waste good gas getting to the fun stuff:dundun:

#4,720 ·
I was just going on the fact that he's a racer, so clearly performance is a concern. I'm offering my opinion based on my riding style, as are you. Neither is wrong. I'd rather have the consistent throttle that map based fueling provides over the inconsistent fueling the o2 sensor offers, even at low throttle position. Again, that's just my .02. Take it or leave it.

#4,722 ·
Sorry to start a disagreement! I appreciate the feedback though...its very useful! So here's a left field question - would the interface let me run a track map - no o2 sensor in a mode, then a more street friendly map with the o2 sensor in b mode?

#4,725 ·
No worries man, i think highly of tad, just a couple of perspectives to consider.
I appreciate it! Just trying to get all my ducks in a row so I do everything once - and correctly...

#4,724 ·
Tad - re-reading your post, you say you turn off the o2 for the track....but if it's set at 75% bias, that would only kick the o2 sensor in below 4k, correct? The only time I'm at 4k at the track is on pit in/out lol...he highway, that's a different story!

#4,726 ·
:stpd::riding

GreenStreak runs solidly in the A group with the bias set to 75%.
That is a :fact......

I do it because I can and for no other reason:dunno. I usually tinker around with some other parameters as well. So why the heck not, it only takes 8 minuets to flash it. Heck at my last track weekend I flashed my ECU three times, just to fiddle with things....and two other people's ECUs...it is just fun.:sing:

#4,731 ·
Chatham:
Is your map available for download?

#4,745 ·
Chatham
How in the world you get that fuel consumption!? Haahah im getting only 13 km/L street. At the track About 8 km/L

Hit 260 kph on front straight without speedo correction. 256 on back straight.
2:31 lap time (with traffic unfortunately & I dont overtake aggressively)

Will try to load videos.

I had the red engine light come on twice. Just came on then off. During hard braking and downshifting. Any idea?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#4,749 ·
Hey 13km/l is like 7.6 ltrs per 100 ks.. that's close to mine, of course if i give it more than just mixed riding my average goes up to 7.6-7.8 but still in the 7's with mixd....hard riding, different story it uses in the 8's .

the red engine oil lite is a level sensor not a pressure sensor, even it the owners manual it states under hard riding you may see it come on.

check your oil level and see if you can top it up just a small ammount.

#4,754 ·
Was running Metzeler K3s. SBR Trackdays organises such events (almost monthly) and it runs about 235 SGD for 2 half day sessions. You get 80 minutes of ride time per session. 3 groups, 20 mins each session rotated across the groups. 4 hrs (half day) total.

I crashed on 2nd turn of 1st day. Will be posting that up. Still no idea how it happened. The GYTR No-cut sliders worked great. not even a scuff on my signal lights / clutch lever hahahaha. And the rear GB racing swingarm spool also did its job.

Will be dloading my data and working with Chatham on the maps.

#4,756 ·
I've got two things to bring up:

First is that I think some sort of two-step rev limiter would be an awesome next feature. It could be controlled by the clutch switch (not sure if that signal goes to the ECU) or perhaps the limiter would simply be active while the bike is not "in gear". "In gear" being defined as engaged in a gear with no/minimal clutch slip. I guess I'd like to see what Flashtune could come up with, but I would be against any sort of button or switch that would require additional use of the hands.

Secondly, I think we really need to agree on a terminology regarding maps. Because currently, and as Flashtune defines it, a "map" contains "maps" and that is somewhat confusing. There is a YCCT map, idle map, fuel maps, quickshifter maps and ignition maps all within what Flashtune calls a map. I think we need to refer to the "Flashtune map" as an ECU image or something like that. All other maps must be referred to as their type, for example "ignition map" or "TPS vs RPM (Alpha-N) fuel map". Perhaps we should try to get Flashtune to change the terminology in their software.

Tad, you seem to be in contact with the Flashtune guys pretty frequently. Perhaps you can be an "ambassador" for us.

#4,759 ·
Sorry guys I have been on travel this week, so I have been a little slower to respond.

First point, send them an email, I think this thread has fallen off their radar for some reason. I will also request the feature. We can take the squeaky wheel approach. At some level the same goes for the second. I will add that terminaology to the FAQ (give me a few days as I am still pretty busy at work and home this week and next), and I support this convention, though you know what they say about old habits.

To be honest, I just send F-T emails, and they respond to them. Some times it takes a few days, but they usually get answered.

does anyone know how we disable the o2 sensor now that the crossover point is not adjustable on the newer updates

and is there anyway to disable the velocity stacks if you put fixed stacks on??
What do you mean you can not change the load bias setting? :confused:...You do know that they changed it from a slider to a drop down box just above the speed adjustment?

One way to do it is to simply change it to an RPM that is above the rev limter, aka an RPM that the engine will never get to?

Does this help you VC?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.