Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Fuel management Q's for Euro bike.

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Trevmo 
#1 ·
I have seen TONS of threads on here about fuel management. Which one to buy, where to get it, this and that... I live in Germany and have a Euro spec bike. I am looking for some type of fuel management that will work with my bike. If I buy a Power Commander or Bazzaz from the US, will it work on my bike? I don't have tons of mods on the bike as far as power goes. I am not looking for anything crazy at the moment. I would just like to get something for the fuel management so the bike runs properly. Any suggestions or info would help.

#6 ·
We have EU R1's in Australia and plenty of people use Power Commanders. I would think if you can use a Power Commander, you can use a Bazzaz - they do the same thing.

I'm thinking about getting a Bazzaz myself. The only reason I would pick the Bazzaz over the Power Commander is that it modifies the signals to all 8 injectors, where as the Power Commander only does the primary 4 injectors. However this probably make next to no difference for a street bike. But they are about the same price, so i figure i might as well get more functionality with the Bazzaz.

From what I understand, the principal of these units is to intercept the ECU's injector pulse, modify it, then send it on to the injector. This allows you to increase or reduce the amount of fuel being injected at any point in time.

Both manufacturers offer generic maps you can download, but because every motor is different, you may want to get it dyno tuned as well.

If you've just got slip-ons you don't need an aftermarket fuel management system. I would only bother if you've gotten rid of the catalytic converter.

What do you mean by 'runs properly'. Does your bike not 'run properly' now?

#7 ·
I picked up the PCV for the bike. I didn't see the possibility of getting a Bazzaz for my year. I found where to download the custom maps for the bike. All I have on the bike is the K&N filter, Arrow slip-ons and de-cat pipe. The only reason I want the PCV is to make sure the bike runs smoothly. I have heard of bikes running like crap over time from switching exhausts or other things. Not too sure if it is true but better safe than sorry.

Would a bike really run like crap after installing exhaust, filter, y-pipe, etc... if you don't have any fuel management?

#8 ·
Would a bike really run like crap after installing exhaust, filter, y-pipe, etc... if you don't have any fuel management?
I've got a y-pipe on my 2012 R1, and i don't have a fuel management system, but i plan on getting one.

i noticed a slight lack in performance (maybe 3-5%), as well as the exhaust doing a lot of rumbling and the odd bang during deceleration.

The catalytic converter is basically a filter for the exhaust. It creates resistance. when it is removed, the engine can breath better, but it has not been tuned to run with this increased airflow. Therefore it will run lean (not enough fuel).

Like I said, I'm planning on getting a fuel management system, but it's mainly because I want a loud bike without losing performance. And I'm concerned about the health of the engine. Running lean for extended periods of time isn't a good thing.

#9 ·
I put on the y-pipe as well. It's kind of a pain in the arse here in Germany because they don't allow it for inspection. So, every 2 years I gotta take it off and put the stock cat back on. Also, if I get randomly stopped on the highway for having loud exhaust, I heard it was pretty steep penalties. About 80 Euro's in fines and 2 weeks to take it to inspection with everything "non EU certified" back on the bike. Also, if they deem the bike 'too loud' they can tell you that you can't ride it home and that you need to call a tow truck or get a trailer somehow. Bunch of BS if you ask me!

#10 ·
same problem we have here in Oz. :yuk:

#11 ·
Especially here in Melbourne.

I recommend using the following excuse (which is actually a very fair and real argument)

"Officer, you can fine me, tow the bike or do whatever you feel is necessary. But i can guarantee that i will return the bike back to how it is now. That's because i rather have an illegal bike, which is loud. That way, people can hear and see me coming, something that may potentially save my life one day. That's the most important thing and if that means having to pay a fine every now and again, then that's the cost of keeping me safe on the roads".

:riding

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.