Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Flash Tuning For Complete Dummies..

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Mad Matt 
#1 ·
Ok boy's im hoping that some of you guy's with a little patients and knowledge can help educate a 41 year old dummy like me. Being a bit of an old twat means turning my computer on is an achievement, when buying anything electrical and new means i have to get the kids to work it and program it.....

So i would be very grateful if we could start right from the beginning and work through all the available options and what does what.....

I have been reading via the search function but to be honest most of it might as well be in Chinese...

So first things first.

I know what an ECU is, its like the bikes brain instructing it to perform almost all its tasks. I know that we can program the ECU which in turn would change the settings to our preferences but thats where my knowledge ends...

I keep hearing the word "Interface" whats one of these??

What with this "trickle charging" ??

What needs charging???

Lets say i want to have my ECU flashed, what equipment do i need if im going to do it myself??

Can this be done on my own computer??

Any Brits here know where i can take my bike to have it flashed professionally??

These are the first round of questions i have, im sorry if they seem a little simple but please help where you can...

Thanks....

See less See more
#2 ·
hey Matt, the interface is bought from Flashtune, http://www.flash-tune.com/ , but I had no luck with it and then got no support from flashtune, so I can't really say buy it now.
It is for 07+ R1's only though.
Trickle charging is so you don't drain the battery to a point the interface fails and possibly corrupts the ECU, a simple car charger works fine.
What equipment do you need? the tools to get to your ECU, the ECU interface, laptop and a battery charger or 12v power source.
Yes you can use your own computer, it has its own specific software.

I hope this helps mate ;)

#4 ·
Thanks for your reply mate however it doesn't really answer my questions, you have told me where to get an interface from but not what an interface does??

Am i understanding that your saying the charger charges the interface? If so then i really do need to know what the interface is and what it does??

#3 ·
Hey Matt,

I have all the equipment needed, I'm based in Surrey, if you can get to me I will gladly Flash your bike for me if its a 09-11 model!

#6 ·
OK, think of the interface as just a cable that allows you to plug your computer into your ECU. The interface needs a power supply (I use a spare battery)
You basically buy the interface from flash tune, they give you the software, then you can go about making all the changes you need.

#8 ·
#10 ·
Btw Tad i have spent sometime reading your thread about Flash tuning which has been very helpful but its the very basics i was having a hard time with...

So this is where im up to:

The ecu is the bikes programable brain.
The interface is a lead needed to convert information from the ecu to your computer and the other way round.

Do i also need a special computer program for my computer??

#12 ·
I keep hearing the word "Interface" what’s one of these??....That’s sat by my computer 20 minutes away from your house.

What with this "trickle charging" ?? I don’t use one of these I plug a converter into my wall

What needs charging??? ….Nothing maybe your phone??

Let’s say i want to have my ECU flashed, what equipment do i need if I’m going to do it myself?? ….that’s back to your first point!

Can this be done on my own computer??.....yes if you buy an interface!

Any Brits here know where i can take my bike to have it flashed professionally??....i am always professional, never curse or swear when flashing….other than that I couldn’t find one!

These are the first round of questions i have, I’m sorry if they seem a little simple but please help where you can...Please keep them coming cause I can’t wait for some of the answers lol

I am hoping n4speed has some good testing of his new map this weekend and shares it with us…Great Guy thanks n4speed for awesome work!!:tocoo:

#13 ·
Lmfao, Steve my man, i just need to drop in for a brew and all these questions will be answered...

Did you do n4speeds flash tune mate??

Ok so in about 8 weeks in going to change exhausts, tail tidy, send the bike to Dream Machine for new colours, (swan yellow), then off to Steve's for flash tuning....

Im a little uncertain though about having the immobiliser disconnected so need to give that some thought.

#14 ·
I just need to drop in for a brew and all these questions will be answered...Kettle is on…yanks will be Googling kettle lol

Did you do n4speeds flash tune mate??..Running it now and at one point thought I hit warp speed!

Ok so in about 8 weeks in going to change exhausts, tail tidy, send the bike to Dream Machine for new colours, (swan yellow), then off to Steve's for flash tuning....Ready and waiting…..bit busy at the moment ripping mine to bits and putting goodies on but will break off for a bit lol

Im a little uncertain though about having the immobiliser disconnected so need to give that some thought..... I get that after what just happened but as far as I know there is no way round it?

#15 ·
afaik, Ecunleashed allows you to maintain your immobiliser function.. uS canucks have the same one and Nels recently confirmed there should be no issue with this..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.