Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

engine power cuts with no throttle response

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  frogsak1 
#1 ·
So today on my way home from work, my engine power basically cuts off and i get no throttle response. the check engine light came on and i can't remember if my engine turned off because i switched the bike off immediately and coasted to a stop. i turned the bike completely off and then switched the key back on and tried to start it and it came back on so i continued to ride home.

this didn't happen once but TWICE. luckily i was close to home so i was able to make it home. i checked the oil level glass so far and the oil looks normal and the bike felt good while i was able to ride it home.

I just recently installed gb racing case savers on both sides and i don't think you can go wrong anywhere in there besides tightening too much.

what do you guys think it can be?

my mods so far are the flashtune, yoshi 3/4 system, kn air filter. i'm scared...:scared:

#7 ·
just checked, they're tight
check your grounds.

I had an issue with my 03 zx6r 636 back in 2010 where my bike cut out on me on the interstate. the bike would start back up after i cut the power off and restarted the bike. come to find out, one of my Throttle sensors on my throttle body was bad which would throw the code to be a bad ECU. changed out the whole throttle body assembly with new sensors, and no more issues.
i will. where are they again? lol

Do you have a power commander?

-Jamie M.
no sir i do not.

You have flashed the bike...Check the ECU connectors. Make sure they are plugged in securely.
I just checked that as well and also made sure its plugged in extra securely.

thanks for the ideas so far people. i really appreciate it. anymore? i plan on reflashing it back to stock and riding it like that to see if the problem occurs again...

#3 ·
check your grounds.

I had an issue with my 03 zx6r 636 back in 2010 where my bike cut out on me on the interstate. the bike would start back up after i cut the power off and restarted the bike. come to find out, one of my Throttle sensors on my throttle body was bad which would throw the code to be a bad ECU. changed out the whole throttle body assembly with new sensors, and no more issues.

#6 ·
:iamwithst....People have had issues breaking the TPS wire...

#5 ·
You have flashed the bike...Check the ECU connectors. Make sure they are plugged in securely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.