Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

FlashTune ECU Flashing Interface

2M views 13K replies 451 participants last post by  Tad158 
#1 ·
I got the type 1 ECU flashing interface from Flashtune today.

Here are the tuneable features for the 07-08 R1:
-Fuel table bias (ECU uses a MAP vs RPM and a TPS vs RPM table for fueling, the bias adjusts how much each table contributes to the final value used to control the injectors.)
-TPS vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-MAP vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-TPS vs RPM Ignition map (per gear)
-Engine braking
-YCCT APS vs RPM throttle maps (not directly edittable, can choose between two preset maps: stock and "race")
-Fan temps (stock or 205*F on, 195*F off)
-Immobilizer Operation (Normal or Bypassed)
-Yes, you can import .djm PCIII maps into the software, the software then scales the fuel maps for flashing the ECU just like the PCIII does.

Flashtune does claim to be actively expanding the software to allow for other adjustments as well.

I flashed my ECU with the "race" YCCT map and used the 6th gear ignition map for all gears. My bike does now idle around 1900 RPMs. After looking at the "race" YCCT map closer I believe it may be to blame. Aside from the high idle everything worked great. I went out for a quick ride and was able to power up 2nd gear sit-down wheelies, I tried hard before but it never happened. The bike does feel like it has a little extra pep.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the YCCT maps and the 1st and 6th gear ignition maps.

Attachments

See less See more
#4,491 · (Edited)
Just updated FT..... I now see the YCC-T mapping is all changed to numbers with decimals. Opened my old tried and true maps and they are changed also. Has anyone flashed with this new updated version? Trying to make changes to values, then look at percentages to confirm and go back to value and they revert back to the original numbers? More bugs to deal with...great!

#4,492 ·
Just updated FT..... I now see the YCC-T mapping is all changed to numbers with decimals. Opened my old tried and true maps and they are changed also. Has anyone flashed with this new updated version? Trying to make changes to values, then look at percentages to confirm and go back to value and they revert back to the original numbers? More bugs to deal with...great!

found the revert version...thx FT.
im not sure my self anymore what to do... they change small stuff and it makes other changes. its like one good map then turns it to crap. I feel like if we make any changes we cant really be sure if there true changes because of the software reading the maps differently. i havent tried my self to flash the new version tho.

#4,494 ·
As far as I can tell it is calculated correctly. The decimal is there for fine adjustment.

#4,504 · (Edited)
OK, Autotune installed (took approx. 1,5h to do it), tomorrow I'll start accepting trims for updated hybrid ECU fuel map. Meantime I'm waiting for the same posibility with Bazzaz, then I'll sell the PCV+AT and go with Bzzzaz (it works with all 8 injectors so fuel map there is more accurate I think without buying next Dynojet SFM-5 unit, not to mention putting all those connectors beneath the airbox in a very limited space..)

n4speed: as for the HM PLUS quickshifter I use 85% sensivity and 60ms kill time, mode C, yesterday I set up my Gilles rearsets to road shift pattern again (my max speed was 286km/h but speedo ended at 224km/h, something has to be wrong with 88% speedo correction I used for ECU reflash last time ).

#4,505 ·
Lol..thanks for the info.. but i was ment to post the question to the vender asking the price..

btw, how much did you paid for?

#4,508 ·
As for the question R1evolution had in his PM regarding the recommendations for tuning:
1. Build linear proportional throttle for A mode and set bike to stat in A.
2. Tune for AFR, not for power curve. target AFR in the square 0-15% throttle up to 6000RPM - 13. Anywhere else - 12.7 to 12.8
3. Make sure the tuner actually heats up your engine well so the ols is hot, not just water.
4. When done with cylinders fix the ignition mapping there should be no dips above 7000rpm below 41 or raises above 43

#4,519 ·
Nice try. If only it were that simple.

Let me change my question a little bit. If a person is tuning their engine on a dyno, why would they tune for an AFR rather than power output? We don't need to get into the supposed effects of running lean causing the engine to "burn up". Rest assured, if you're running that lean you aren't going to be making best power so that's a moot point for this argument anyways.

#4,520 ·
Elwin - nice pic input :thumbup Here's detailed one:

I set target AFR in Autotune unit to 13, 13.1, 13.2 and after 2 days testing have first trims done. What I've read Dynojet says that for the best compromise of fuel mileage and throttle response, is to set the cruise range to 13.7-14.0 /I had 13.6 and 13.4 @ 3500-6250rpm area with 2-20% throttle but changed it to 13.2, remember - too lean is not good for the engine/. Anyway riding in 2C temp. is not a pleasure and it's not possible to whack the throttle fully open :riding - I need to spin R1 on a roller few times :boom

#4,521 · (Edited)
There is a different approach tuning fuel ratio based on one wideband sensor for combined exhaust, or doing it for the individual cylinders with 4 wideband sensors in each collector pipe.

When one sensor is used then you need to have some headroom for the case where one cylinder is running to lean and another too rich. The difference can be extremely high. So setting 13 may be cyl 1 is at 11 and cyl 4 is at 15. - so your tuner will think it is great, but bike will not make reasonable power.

Now when you cn adjust all 4 cylinders separately, then you can be much more precise, let's say +0.2 so you get 12.6 to 13.0 with average of 12.8 because all 4 are balanced - so power will be great.

Sure fuel consumption and CO is a price to pay but this is not a touring bike anyway :)

Sure if you want to make a touring bike out of it then set it leaner, I would not recommend going above 14.0

Elwin - nice pic input :thumbup Here's detailed one:

I set target AFR in Autotune unit to 13, 13.1, 13.2 and after 2 days testing have first trims done. What I've read Dynojet says that for the best compromise of fuel mileage and throttle response, is to set the cruise range to 13.7-14.0 /I had 13.6 and 13.4 @ 3500-6250rpm area with 2-20% throttle but changed it to 13.2, remember - too lean is not good for the engine/. Anyway riding in 2C temp. is not a pleasure and it's not possible to whack the throttle fully open :riding - I need to spin R1 on a roller few times :boom

Attachments

#4,526 ·
Elwin, it seems you only come here to fuel discussion !! i still diden't saw any graphic off your tunning, how much power did you get.. nothing to back up your claims and afirmations..

I really would like to see your's "numbers" !! and i'm not asking for your map or anything else..

I can also post comon sense information or do some more techinical information and post it. I'm here to learn and share information for the 09-12 R1.

but that's me...

#4,528 · (Edited)
I understand the thinking behind a seperate fuelmap for each cyl, but each bike would need to be tuned individually with a header and equipment to measure the a/f of each cyl. Each cyl of every bike will be different, using a cyl dependent map from one bike and using on another is asking for problems. Elwin you are correct that seperate cyl mapping is best,its been used in MotoGp for years. But others are correct in the fact that a "base map" for seperate cyl fueling could not be used as a "general map" for ALL bikes, one cyl thats rich on one bike could be lean on another. If cyl #1 was rich (on the bike the map was based) and cyl #1 was leaned out during tuning, and then the "base map" was used on a bike that had an already lean cyl #1 and was leaned out even further ,it would fry that cyl quickly.

#4,529 ·
It would be interesting to see if there are any "trends" in a/f ratios from a few R1's tested on each cyl (lean or rich on a certain cyl). Would also be interesting to see if getting the fuel injectors cleaned and balanced, would correct any differences that were seen during testing.

#4,530 ·
Yep, also the difference between a 09-11 and a 12+...

#4,532 ·
Hehehehe very funny ;). I like people with good sense of humour. Elwin if you really want to learn something about engines and especially combustion/turbulence interaction and many more about an internal flow structure give me sign I can give you small lecture.

At the beginning of your learning process I'm sending you some of my publications. And the most important is that if you do not understand what is in the text just ask....

start with this one: SAE2008-01-1739 "The Effect of Exhaust Throttling on HCCI - Alternative Way to Control EGR and In-Cylinder Flow"

and you can also find this: IMECE2004-60973 "NUMERICAL SIMULATION OF UNSTEADY- FLOW PROCESSES IN WAVE ROTORS "

and maybe this one: DOCTORAL THESIS: Ph.D. thesis "Modelling and diagnostic study of flow in an optical engine with negative valve overlapping for homogeneous charge compression ignition"

Well if you want more publications do not hesitate to contact with me ;) I can help you in your learning process.

#4,537 ·
Nothing better than a bunch of really smart guys arguing.....anyway, for the rest of us peons...I'm waiting for a solid, steady map for my 2011 R1 off the new FT revision that wont lose power and then kick in and throw me in the woods (ala AKDMA's claims). R1evo we've spoken and I'll ship my ECU out but I need to know that "glitch" has been fixed...anyone????

-Solo

#4,540 ·
I tested R1evo's map with the mysterious "glitch" quite extensively and never once experienced it. Not sure what was going on with AKDMA's bike but it never happened with mine and i was all over the RPM range at excessive speeds, so i totally trust it. Just my $.02.........

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

#4,538 ·
Solo - make a trip to Asheville. We can try a few things. I'm still using N4speed's map. I've tried a bunch of different combinations, the next is Lax's but it's just been too cold. Peen V2 and N4Speed's both worked well for me. A big improvement over stock in any case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.