Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

New '06... Wait. New '12 Mod Addicted Owner???

137K views 804 replies 92 participants last post by  APO2112 
#1 ·
Alright. If you read my original thread, "'06 mod addicted owner", You know a little of my background and my reasoning for buying an R1. She is a prestine, 2006 50th Anniversary around 10k miles (at that time) with a couple bits already installed. Reason for not gunning for a brand new bike was the theme, "reasonable" my wife implied as this was a replacement vehicle that will have little to no financial impact on our spending. Yeah right... Well, an opportunity came up to refi our Infinity with our credit union for an amazing rate, so we decided to cash in on it. The topic of the bike came up, and we looked at our financing options and decided we wanted to refi the bike for a ridiculously low rate as well. Our credit union told us that they wouldn't refi it unless I gave them a down payment on the new loan, reason being, the value of the bike was less than the amount currently financed. :shake Also, they told me this was the last year they could actually finance an '06, so looking for decent trade-in value in the future was going to get very slim very fast. I already didn't have piece of mind knowing if I wrecked this bike today, the insurance claim wouldn't cover my loan amount :no So, after a couple weeks of discussions and financial planning, believe it or not, I'm in a position to unload the '06 and pick up a new '12 :boobies

Now don't get me wrong, I fell in love with my R1. The '06 has the best of all worlds... Especially when you upgrade the suspension. Power, looks, flickability, all of the above... Just at too much of a financial risk for me at this moment. :(

Now, I'm naturally a tough negotiator, and after some additional coaching from my Uncle-in-law (he's the best number cruncher in my circle by far and also my favorite unlce :fact), I was ready to hit the market hard and see what I could get for the amount I'm willing to pay, which is nothing over MSRP O.T.D for starters...

I called a few dealers and did some light negotiations, even visited a few and got the '06 appraised for trade-in value. No one was willing to give me the numbers I wanted, so the search continued into Labor Day weekend.

Then I found a dealer in Azuza that promised me top dollar for my trade in before I walked into the building :flex:

I spotted a lovely Raven R1, though they had all the '12 models, for some reason the new Raven stuck out the most...

They called this "Indian Theme" :shake

'12 in Blue

'12 Raven

And me being a Honda boy previously, I had to look at other brands... Like Ducati and this Honda CBR 1000RR :dunno

Honda CBR1000RR Dash and Showa's

I sent those pictures to my wife's cell, and she immediately replied back and told me to get the black one. So the black one it is... :thumbup

The negotiations began. They initially came in with the MSRP of the bike, plus dealer prep, plus delievery fees, plus tax and DMV fees; basically take that number and add whatever was left on the last loan into this one. I immediately got that number down by price-matching with a local competitive Yamaha dealer that advertised their new R1's for a stupid low price. Then they wanted to appraise my bike, but before we could go outside and take a look at it, they tried to ask me how much I owe; that answer wasn't coming out until I got my numbers FIRST :gengar:

Long story short, they infact DID come back with the highest appraised value, but I knew I could get them up a little higher, but we'll see...

So we sit down for some hard number crunching. My #1 goal was to get them to buy the R1 for the highest amount possible, and whatever little money is left over to carry it into my new price... That being said, I know I'm going to take a hit, but the size of the hit is based on how much I can get them down... So myself and the sales manager (the sales rep has been pushed aside at this point) begin negotiating like two veteran mortgage brokers... About an hour goes by with back and forth... Each time the number is dropping... $19k OTD, $18,5 OTD, $17k OTD, $16,5 OTD... And now the numbers are finally starting to make sense :yesnod And after about another 30 minutes going back and for with the sales manager (even the owner got involved at one point to approve the numbers) and a couple times I was willing to walk away (even noting that this model is already a year old), we finally came to a number OTD I was more than happy with. They basically paid off my bad loan for free and gave me a killer deal on a '12 R1. Had them write up a sales contract and took that number to my credit union and viola! New 2012 Raven R1 for Mark. :riding

But now we have a slight problem... I need to take most the mods off my bike before turning it in as they give ZERO value to the bike appraisal!!!

So in a day's work starting around noon, I started putting these OEM parts back on the bike:

Aftermarket parts being removed and replaced with OEM:

-Ohlins Shock
-Rizoma Oil Cap
-SSR Gas Cap
-Rizoma Res & Bracket
-Rizoma Grips & Conical Ends
-Ohlins Damper
-Evotech Triple Nut
-D-Zus fasteners
-A&R Motorsports HID's
-Power Commander III USB

Aftermarket bits they are staying with the bike (since I either sold or don't have the OEM parts)

-Galfer Rotors Front & Back (I think I'm done with Galfer anyway)
-Puig DB Windscreen
-Graves Velocity Stacks
-K&N Filter
-Driven Block Off Plates (not worth replacing OEM AIS)
-Sato Racing Rearsets
-Vortex Top Triple (OEM yolk is trashed)
-Brembo MK2 MC
-OEM Solo Cowl

HID removal, D-Zus, gas cap, and oil cap

OEM Damper

OEM Brake res.

Power Commander, Ohlins Shock

So after about 8 hours of labor I have most of the OEM items replaced. All that is left is the Rizoma grips (to be replaced with Rethal's) and if I can find a front master before Friday I could keep the Brembo MK2. :sing:

Looks like some lucky guy is going to inherit all those goodies... :corn

I guess it's safe to say that I'm crossing over to the CROSSPLANE side :ncont::ncont::ncont:

PARTS ARE FOR SALE... OHLINS SHOCK AND POWER COMMANDER FOR NOW... SEE MY SIG!

See less See more
#200 · (Edited)
Quick update...

I've kinda been itching to wrench lately and the brake line came in today so...

Brembo rear & Lawst Caws Frame Plugs

Decided to shorten up the res too :sing:

Frame Plugs

Just got the email from Pro Bolt, so it looks like I'll be taking it all apart again to install the Ti stuff sooner than I thought :2bitchsla:

After looking at this setup up close and seeing what Ti was ordered, it looks like I'll be dropping another order to Pro Bolt as soon as I get some measurements :shake

#203 · (Edited)
Thanks for taking the time to check out my thread :bow Compliments like this keep me modding :fact :thumbup

Very nice brotha! :thumbup I don't know what it is about this ti stuff, but it leaves you wanting more when you take a step back to look at what you just installed... :lol :crash
It's all your fault :lol I know I'm going to be looking for things to replace for Ti once I get the measuring tool :fact Rearset hardware is first on the to-do list :D

I can see this new Ti addiction is going to add up really quick :crash

Still waiting on...

CRG SC2 Clutch Lever & Perch
GB Racing Engine Cover Kit
Pro Bolt USA Ti bolts
...and I MIGHT pull the trigger on something speacial next week :sing:

#202 ·
Very nice brotha! :thumbup I don't know what it is about this ti stuff, but it leaves you wanting more when you take a step back to look at what you just installed... :lol :crash

#211 ·
I hear ya. If I could find a really good detailer around here, I'd send the vehicles to them. I tried one the other day and they did a decent job, but it wasn't really a full blown detail, more like a very thorough clean on everything with a basic wax. :dunno

Toyo MT's. Very good choice. Those would've been my next set of tires on my F350, but it got sold. Now I have an F450 that I don't care to put 6 of those Toyo beasts on. haha

Here was my baby(not to thread jack, just paying my respects :( )...

Damnnn! That thing is a beast! I don't blame you, I wouldn't want to drop the money for six of these either! :lol :thumbup

#212 ·
igoldeneye,

The bike is looking amazing. I just realized all the CF that you have been adding. I also love the brembos you did. Did they come powder coated in black or did you have that done?

#213 ·
Thank you sir! :bow

The Brembo rear caliper came in black. They are also available in different colors. Since Carrozerria is a few minutes away from me, I just went down there and picked one up:

http://www.forged-wheel.com/fw/index.php

Kit comes with a longer Galfer SS brakeline, just need to choose your line and banjo colors.

Got a few other things I'm picking up from there also... :sneaky :sing: :lol

#216 ·
Looks great dude, Keep it up ! ! Modding is never ending. . .

#219 ·
A drop shipment came in today by way of Riders Discount...

Shoei X-Twelve and CW-1 Spectra Shield

And an A* balaclava to top it all off...

Ok so not exactly "mods" but very much needed as I needed to refresh a lot of my riding gear as of recent :dunno The REAL mods should be here next week- I think we all are waiting on our CRG SC2's :lol

#221 · (Edited)
#222 ·
I was going to get an SC2 also but decided to stick with the older model clutch perch, tge new one dint grow on me, cant wait to see them on a bike,the pics of them alone just dint do it for me....also my bike was waiting on one.:)

#226 ·
I hear ya... The new design doesn't look as attractive as the SS, but I'm betting the new look will match a Brembo RCS lever better... Which means I'll end up parting with my Pazzo's and getting a Brembo RCS shorty insteady of my Pazzo RCS shorty :dunno

Now I'm looking at carbon fiber clipon bars :shake

#225 ·
I must be getting too predictable... Block-offs should be here this week from MotoMummy :shake

I'm not a huge fan of bar-end mirrors, but I know I need to run at least one mirror to be street legal... Might just have one hanging off my left/right clipon :lol

#224 ·
^^^me too! That's why I had to bug him to see if he'd post something up and bam a few hrs later haha. Hey golden eye lets go to this huge meet tomorrow.
HEY GUYS! Last Krispy Kreme Meet before the end of the world!
The " end of the world" meet in Burbank is set to have well over 2,000 cars.**Tuesday November 6th, 2012
Meeting at Escondido Target at 5:30. Rollout at 6. Meeting with Murrieta at 6:30. Arrival at Burbank 8:30. (this is around my area where us down here will meet.)
Last meet, the Krispy Kreme meet was on LA breaking news! Spread the word.

#230 ·
Let me find it man, may take me a while as i only have my phone, all my shit is packed up since im moving....its sad to see my bike in the bavk of a moving truck.:( i almost dropped her off the ramp yesterday loading it up.:scared I had to take a break after that......a fall from over 4ft in the air would have been ugly.:shake

#237 ·
Ok so I've been away from this thread for about a week or so :lol Had to focus on some major Christmas shopping, a wedding anniversary, and a newborn sucking precious hours of sleep away from me- Along with working my arse off daily on a new contract :eek: BUT, deals have been made, checks have been cut, and parts are on the way :flex: This last week I've mainly focused on cleaning up the garage (mainly to make space for my oldest's xmas gift and give myself some real workspace) and better riding protection, as many people are going down this cold season and I'm at a stage in my life where I am able to afford the best protection, and should be wearing the best available :dunno It really started with the Shoei X-Twelve and watching all the recent MotoGP spills :lol Even JL99 took a spill on the last race of the year :shake And I'm really digging the A* Techspec R Boots and A* GP Tech gloves they wear so...

Alpinestars GP Tech Gloves

Craftsman Storage for me :D

Cadillac Escalade for mini me #1...

Should be in this week... :drevil:

A* Supertech R Boots
A* Chest Protector
Alien Motion 8-cell LiPo Battery
Translogic MD3 Dash :ncont:

I ended up doing a complete 180 on the CRG SC2 Clutch and Perch and decided to give Harris Performance a call and go with their Brembo RCS Clutch Lever and Perch :flex: Going to order Pro Bolt bits for that too (I have a MASSIVE Pro Bolt order in the works :lol)

Stay tuned my friends... :corn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.