Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Ironhorz's 12 50th GP Anniversary Build

96K views 508 replies 75 participants last post by  Ironhorz 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, this story starts the same way Redgecko's did when he bought his 50th accept I went into the shop to pick up a lettering kit to update the registration on my boat so we could put it in the water...

Long story short, I'm talking to the salesman who helped me out with my sticker kit and bikes come up. I look to my left and see a anniversary edition R6, commented how nice it was, and jokingly told him I'd be in trouble if you had an anniversary edition R1 in here. Well, on the way out the door, I looked to the left again and see this:

So I did one of these :bow:scared , told him I HAD to leave, and then ran for the door; it was to late...the seed was already planted. I could NOT stop thinking about the bike all weekend long, and ended up going back to the shop the following Wednesday and put a deposit down. I did some more thinking and decided it was time to go in and pick it up.

I must say I feel very fortunate to be in the position to pick one of these up and put it in the garage. Here's a few picks I've got:

I still haven't had the chance to install the parts I have listed in this thread I originally bought for the 05, so I've decided to put them on my 12:

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327871

Only problem I'm not sure what I'll do about is the fact the 12 has a speed sensor on the front wheel so I'm not sure how I'll mount the sensor to my new forks, anyone out there have any suggestions?

I've also ordered more stuff and am waiting on it to show:

- new hot bodies windscreen
- new integrated tail light (installed this morning)
- fender eliminator
- steel braided lines front & rear
- 15 tooth front sprocket (already have a 43 on the Carrozzeria V-Track wheels I bought from SSPilot and a new gold chain waiting to go on)
- flushmounts (am going to order a set of Watsens to replace the hot bodies I ordered)
- swingarm spools

*I'm going to order rear sets today, but I'm really stuck between Rizoma's, Vortex, and Gilles. Any suggestions? I put Vortex on my 05, and was happy with them, but would like something a little nicer as far as looks and design.

I still need to order quite a bit, but I think I'm off to a good start right now. :thumbup

- solo cowl
- exhaust
- levers
- lifters
- filter
- etc, etc, etc...

Thanks for looking guys!

UPDATE

FedEx showed up right as I was walking out, brought my fender eliminator, flush mounts, and spools:

UPDATE: 4 Aug 12

I'm still working on getting my hands on a good condition used Akrapovic exhaust, but in the mean time I've had a few additional goodies show up and get them put on:

Sato no-cut sliders

Lightech adjusters with Gilles ti axle nut :thumbup

Updated shots

I've only got about 400 miles on the bike so far, but have plans to get the following put on when I take it in for the 600 mile service:

- Carrozzeria wheels -- I've heard breaking loose the factory rotor nuts are a beotch :nforc: and I have to get the traction control sensor ring off of the factory wheel and install it on the new wheel.

- Brembo front master cylinder
- stell braided front/rear lines
- front 520 sprocket and new chain to match new rear sprocket
- clip ons -- might give this a shot myself, I'd imagine it's pretty easy and as simple as pulling the top triple off, and then removing/installing new ones...

Still waiting on/working on:
- waiting on my solo cowl from Yamaha Canada
- waiting for the word to send money for the Rizoma rearsets I'm picking up from burn-z. Soo stoked for these! :flex:

- sourcing 108mm caliper mounts for my Ohlins, as the set that came with it were 100mm -- I bought them used and the guy selling them opted for the 100mm setup for some "custom project" he was working on. :dunno
- harris perch/brembo clutch lever combo
* I know there's more I'm forgetting, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

I'd like to do most of this myself, but I don't have the right tools. Long term goal is to get a good set so I can pretty much all of the work. For now, I'll let the stealership take care of it for me.

Thanks again for looking! :thumbup

UPDATE: 11 Aug 12

Well, I had a few more goodies come in and just finished putting them on:

Akrapovic slip-ons:

M-4 mid pipe:

Harris cluth perch with Brembo lever:

I'm stoked with the way it's coming along so far. My wife keeps looking at me like I've got three heads everytime a package comes in, but it's all good... :hammer::flex:

I've got plans to get the following put on when I take it in for the 600 mile service. Yeah I know, I should've already had 600 mies on it, just haven't had a chance to ride much lately. :crash:

- Carrozzeria wheels -- I've heard breaking loose the factory rotor nuts are a beotch :nforc: and I have to get the traction control sensor ring off of the factory wheel and install it on the new wheel.
- Brembo front master cylinder
- Spiegler steel braided front/rear lines
- front 520 sprocket and new chain to match new rear sprocket
- clip ons -- was going to do this myself, but I don't have a socket/wrench big enough to do it so I'll either try to borrow one from a friend, or just have the stealership do it for me. :crash

Still waiting on/working on:

- waiting on my solo cowl from Yamaha Canada
- waiting for the word to send money for the Rizoma rearsets I'm picking up from burn-z. Soo stoked for these! :flex:
- sourcing 108mm caliper mounts for my Ohlins, as the set that came with it were 100mm -- think SSPilot has helped me source a set. :boobies
- sourcing Cox radiator guard
- sourcing ECUnleashed
- sourcing Graves velocity stacks
- sourcing Graves smog block off plates
- sourcing Graves clutch kit
- sourcing Woodcraft covers
- sourcing Harris flush fitting fuel cap
- sourcing Ohlins TTX rear shock
- sourcing various ti mounting hardware -- brakes, forks, etc...
- sourcing Samco hose kit with Samco clamps
- sourcing various various carbon fiber bits
- sourcing full size belly pan

* I know more I'm forgetting, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks again for looking! :thumbup

See less See more
Reactions: APO2112
#303 ·
:lol Thanks my man!! :thumbup Every time I start to get a bit comfortable with where the bike is, you go out and get a new tasty bit, so I'm sure this will continue for some time. :yesnod

#309 ·
I use this thread as a way of testing myself in the "art of restrain"
That is the best compliment I can come up with man....:)
Wait I got one more.... a guys version of "Confessions of a shopaholic"
Mad props my friend

#312 ·
Dash is awesome! Haven't had a chance to do the setup again, I'll try to get to it this weekend. The hardest part will be calculating the true 30mph while on the road during the setup.

#317 ·
brotha i hate those digital dash let me know if the revs are on the money like i said mine's the engine revs faster than the instrument shows like i hit rev limiter and the dash says im like at 11k i really hate it but let me know how it goes with that one everytime i let off the gas the gears go crazy also let me know how it goes im trying to find a way out of this AIMs peace of shit

#318 · (Edited)
I haven't noticed any problems with mine brotha. I went out in the garage and made a quick video for you to see. If there seems to be any lag in it, I did not notice it in person. :thumbup As far as my gears are concerned, I do not have that issue now that I got it out on the road to calibrate it versus trying to calibrate it on the rear stand. I guess the key to correctly doing it was doing so while the motor was under load on the road, versus no load on the stand. Never thought about the fact the calibration points would be different when comparing the two ways I just mentioned... LOL My gear display was previously all over the place like you mentioned, after a recalibration on the road, the gears are spot on.

#322 ·
Not that I'm aware of at this time... I would LOVE it even more if it did though! :yesnod

UPDATE: Dash Calibrated

Got the dash all calibrated and haven't had any issues with it since other than it'll display 3rd for a second when coasting into my neighborhood in 1st about 20mph with the clutch pulled in; as soon as I release the clutch 1st pops right back up. It picks up shifts immediately, displays the correct gear, etc... I'm VERY happy with it and am glad I got my hands on one. Thanks again for the hookup Chris! :thumbup

#321 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Power Supply Hooked Up

Well, all this reading about wiring in power supplies for phones, GPS, etc... on the bikes got me motivated.

First, I bought an iPhone 5 RAM mount through eBay:

Then, I split one of the white Blekin cigarette USB chargers open and soldered a power wire and ground wire to it with eyelets on the end for the battery connections. I isolated the unit with electrical tape to ensure I wouldn't have any issues with it coming into contact with anything once I put it behind the tank.

I picked up another USB to Lightning connector cord for my phone, and snaked that between the frame and tank down the right side of the bike and left about 6-8" of it hanging out the front of the tank for when I need it.

I always thought having GPS while riding would be very convenient, I'm really excited to try it out now! Hell, I might even have to pick up a set of bluetooth speakers with a mic in the event I get a call while I'm out on the bike. :fact :lol

Almost forgot this, I couldn't figure out a good way to mount my TL dash programming button, and ran across an older thread today that showed me how I wanted to do it. I think it looks MUCH better out of sight, and is more comfortable to use now as well:

#326 ·
Thanks for the compliment brotha, I've got the stock US one that was FT flashed and had one of the maps floating around in the FT thread loaded on it.

#327 · (Edited)
UPDATED: Ohlins TTX Shock Installed

Well, my bestest buddy in the big square brown truck with UPS on the side showed up today and left me one of these:

Opened it up, and this is what was smiling at me from inside:

Went straight out to the garage and got started on it as I really wanted to get it installed. I wasn't sure of the best way to get the bike up in the air, so I decided to put it on the front stand, then the rear, and then place jack stands under the pegs:

The install was super simple to be totally honest. Just busted out a 22mm wrench and unbolted the shock from the top, and then unbolted a few of the bolts on the link and pulled the shock out the top. Simply installed the new one in reverse order:

Does anyone have the baseline shock settings so I can start from there Question for those that have the shock already, I maxed out the height adjustment on the bottom of the shock, is that the only place I can adjust it at? I'm speaking about the blue and silver nuts on the bottom of shock you can see in the picture of shock sitting in the box...

Didn't have time tonight to get the bike out on the road for a spin, so I'll get it out tomorrow and see how she feels.

Thanks for looking and any input you can provide! :thumbup

#328 ·
Very nice addition, looks good too. Did you measure rear ride height before and after install ?

#330 ·
Thanks brotha! :thumbup As for the measurements, no, I went Full Retard there... :lol I got so damned excited I just literally started tearing into it. Didn't even think about it until afterwards. I can tell it's slightly taller, but I'd still like to do either an adjustable link or some shims to get a bit more out of it.

Lookin good brotha!!! :boobies :yesnod I'll go down to the garage tonight and get some specs for ya... But I don't don't the recommended settings :dunno
I appreciate it my man! :thumbup I did find the manual online so it's currently sitting at the factory specs.

#331 ·
Baseline settings? Call ohlins lol. It is dependent on your shock, they have different set ups for different times the shock is made. That's what ohlins told me.

I called them and gave them a batch number off my shock and they gave me the settings. I wanna say it was 10 rebound 14 compression, but it might have also been 10R 10C, I can't remember

#333 ·
I remember now, I called ohlins and they gave me Brian @http://www.fastbikeindustries.com

This guy is awesome and definitely knows his stuff
Appreciate the info brotha! :thumbup I already found 10 & 12 and will start there and work until I get it sorted. :yesnod

#334 ·
The OEM settings for compression and rebound work fine for twisty riding. You go to the track and start pushing you'll want to change both.

I didn't see if your forks are flush in the triples but I'd start there with the TTX ride height max'd out. Go ride and test to see what you think.

I've got an adjustable link and am still tinkering with settings. I've done +4mm, +6mm, +16mm, and I'm waiting for the weather to cooperate to try +10mm.

#336 · (Edited)
well def. post up once you've got a setting you're happy with, and let us know what length you've got on that linkage... there's a couple of us who're wanting to have one made... i've seen it tossed around that +6.5mm on the tail is idea... but i have no other info available... my buddy can easily machine a new dog bone... :sneaky

it sounds like the TTX shock is a little taller than stock though so this may not help much... it would be nice to get an idea of where the tail actually sits
in order to make the beast drop ear into corners...

It's the clear Motodynamic sequential LED for the 2009-2013: Motodynamic Tail Light

FYI, the sequential part didn't work correctly until I installed the Watsens because of the integrated resistor, it would just flick off and on very quickly... The sequential signal function will work correctly with the stock front turn signals, or if you add a resistor to a set of other aftermarket flushmounts.
aww... you's kiddin' moi.... i like my fast watsens, i dont use a resistor.. slow is so ghey.... lol.... that kinda sucks :(

#340 ·
looking good homie.. going to high turns into a problem i put the graves suspension link and now its like riding a tank on tipy toes can be annoying unless ur racing for streets its annoying... hey homie i will be selling some used graves stacks upper and bottom at good price ;)

#341 ·
I'm interested, but I don't think I'll be able to do it anytime soon man... PM me whatcha got and we'll see what's up. :thumbup

#342 · (Edited)
UPDATE: MDI Carbon Fiber

Well, got home and found another little goodie patiently waiting on my porch. Checked out the label, and immediately had a smile on my face. :lol I've ordered all of my MDI carbon parts through https://www.mdicarbonfiber.com/ and have had nothing but great customer service and experience! I highly recommend them for a great product at a great price!! :thumbup

#343 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Lacomoto Carbon Bellypan

Well, this one has been in the works for sometime now. This was one of the first things I really wanted to replace when I picked up the bike... I was waiting for MDI to release one, but seems like they never really went anywhere with it, so I jumped on the chance to pick one up from SuperbikeUnlimited. Worst part was the wait, but I'll tell you what, the wait was well worth it! :thumbup Customer service was just like MDI -- great and I really feel like I got a truly outstanding part for a good price!! :fact I plan on picking up some Yamaha and Yamalube stickers like the OEM lowers have to set it off, unless anyone has any better ideas. :hellobye I know I want something on there because I'm not a big fan of the big ass pan with nothing on it. :lol

I was snapping a few shots of the new MDI carbon exhaust shield and noticed a large box on the porch. I asked the wife what she ordered because it was from Home Depot, she said nothing, and I said what the hell ever... Well, I walked up to it to move it, and noticed it said Bellypan on it; took a minute to click, but I realized it was my bellypan I've been waiting on! :yesnod

#348 ·
ok man you have to stop, its just too much goodness on one bike :lol, stunning as always man. such clean and tasteful choices in mods.

edit- i will say i think you have the perfect amount of CF now, anymore may be a bit over kill.
:lol Thanks guys, I do appreciate it! :thumbup

Ironhorz I actually think it looks better with the stock bellypan or lack of.
I think you need to see it with the OEM stickers on it... It looks like a sea of carbon in pics but trust, once the logos go on there it will all fall into place perfectly :fact

Shawn, loving your bike more and more every time I see it :fact glad you picked up that heat shield it looks :boobies

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

I agree, the big chunk of carbon looks off, but like my man said, it'll look much better once the stickers I just ordered come in and I get them on there.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate the kind words as well as input, that's what I'm digging about this place! :thumbup

#347 ·
I think you need to see it with the OEM stickers on it... It looks like a sea of carbon in pics but trust, once the logos go on there it will all fall into place perfectly :fact

Shawn, loving your bike more and more every time I see it :fact glad you picked up that heat shield it looks :boobies

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.