Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

If you are hungover, stay away from your bike!!

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  slowz32 
#1 ·
I attended my work xmas party on Friday night & had way to much to drink. The only job I had planned for Saturday was to fit my rear wheel after having the tire changed earlier in the week. I also greased up my shock linkages & torqued everything up while I had the wheel out of the way. Anyway, to make a long story short, a spacer fell out of the wheel in my car and I never noticed when I was putting it back on. I went for a quick ride to test out my new tire when I had finished & after about 2 or 3 miles of riding, the bearing collapsed due to the pressure. Luckily, despite a quiet scary tank slapper, I didn't go down & learned a valuable lesson to say the least.

Sent from my LT15i using Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 ·
The bearing pretty much shattered. The force from the axle nut without the spacer must have caused it to fail. The wheel slipped to the side and the brake disc bolts even rubbed off the caliper bracket. I haven't had a proper look yet but it's kind of scary that I was able to fit the wheel without the spacer. Everything seemed fine and there was no play in the wheel to indicate anything was wrong before I brought it for a ride. It's a mistake I wont be making twice thats for sure!:yesnod

#10 ·
Ok so I had a good look at the damage earlier. I need a new wheel bearing, oil seal, spacer & cap. How do I get out the bearing on the brake disc side? It's a blind hole so I can't drive it out from the back!

#11 ·
Oh boy, it does bring back old memories. You lot might think I am mad but I gave up drinking 10 years ago just so that it doesnt get in the way of my riding. I only drink during Christmas :yesnod and you wont find me anywhere near the bike for a week ;)

I am genulinely gald that you were ok matey. Ride safe brothers

#13 ·
I don't have a bearing puller. I'm sure I could get one but the inner race has separated from the rest of the bearing so all that's left on the hub is the outer race. Would a bearing puller still be able to get a grip on that do you think?

#23 ·
I couldn't agree more! I was just afraid the rollers would fall out of the roller bearing so I left the spacers there to keep it together. Everything will be removed and placed on the spindle in the correct order next time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.