Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

How do you slow down? Downshift first or brake?

14K views 63 replies 33 participants last post by  2k4r1ryder 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering which is better when trying to slow down to take a corner on a race track?

Downshift first then brake or the other way around?

If downshift first, how much stress does the clutch and gearbox can take?

Thanks.

Cheers!

#48 ·
Yes I understand that. But braking really with 1 cheek off, bike upright, weight off the hands, just seems really hard. I have to still bring both knees to the tank to achieve the above.

The MotoGP guys don't. Just outside knee on tank and the other is already angled out or the leg is dangling.

So wondering if anyone does it or can advise how it's done.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#52 ·
Just practice it of you feel it's that important I guess. A lot of them guys ride dirt bikes as well, so it helps. Personally I've hung off like that leg out while braking for fun or a photo shot with the old lady, but it's not necessary at all.

I wouldn't stress it

#53 ·
Pridmore method - setup, roll off the throttle, down shift to corner exit gear, brake with the front while using the clutch as a brake (engine braking) to stabilize / slide the bike, start with 100% braking in a straight line, taper to 10% at apex, THROTTLE!!!

#54 ·
couple questions....why are you down shifting before braking? Let me give you an example.....

Road Atlanta on the back straight can EASILY hit 5th and depending on your gearing possibly 6th. T10 exit is a 2nd gear for most (1st gear by Pridmore per my understanding from Burnz). Why are you shifting down 3-4 gears before braking....that would take quite a bit more time to let engine braking get you to where you CAN shift down rather than getting on the brakes and downshifting at the same time (or even brake 1st for the majority of it). I'm probably not understanding what you are actually trying to say :dunno

2nd, what is magical about the apex to be braking to that and then throttle? Throttle from my understanding, reading, etc should be applied as soon as you are at whatever lean angle you require for your speed/line choice. Many times you can be back on the throttle before the apex which will give you a better drive on exit.

:corn

#60 ·
I'm not looking to hang my leg out. Just trying to figure out wtf are they using to brace the body under the immense braking forces. I can do it with butt cheek off but both knees on the tank. Feels very crossed up tho.

They are braking with butt cheek off and inside knee out. Not necessarily dangling the whole inside leg.

Cos the idea is to hang off before the corner. But that's when you are braking and that's what I am trying to figure out.

#61 ·
You get a majority of the breaking done on the center of the tire if you can. Maximizes traction while no cornering forces are on the tire. You can keep braking into the corner, but with less force while you start turning in. The lessened braking allows you to setup your body position for the corner. It's a serious course in multitasking, so it takes a while. Sooner or later you don't even think about it, it happens naturally.

#62 ·
I'm already trail braking. I have no issue with taking point. But rather what muscles to use to brace body. Theoretically, the weight is supposed to be off the arms. So have to use the knees and lower body to grip the bike while braking. But also, supposed to get body in position for turn before the turn. So this is what I can't get. Butt cheek off and weight off hands. How?!

#64 ·
You should watch a few YouTube videos on proper downshifting and a great book to read is twist if the wrist !
Now as far as only using motor breaking which is what I always did it turns out not such a great idea even thow I prefer it here why - brake pads are always cheaper than engine work ! The proper way to down shift is - break -clutch - down shift - match revs by blipping all in a smooth fluid motion - that's the correct way now Geting it right is the pain in the ass ! I've been working more on my counter steering - figured if I can hold a Bette line threw the turn I can maintain a higher speed

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.