Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Bike has been dying randomly while coming down to idle

7K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  forestR1 
#1 ·
I've got a few things done and I know it needs a tune but was wanting to make sure a tune would fix this. I have BMC filter, akra y pipe, and race baffled stock cans.

What it's doing is this. When I am driving and pull the clutch in most of the time the revs drop and it idles just fine. Then it goes through spurts where it won't catch itself and it dies. I can let the clutch out and it will start up but as soon as I pull the clutch in it will die again if I don't keep the revs up. I can hit the start button and usually it will run fine after I start it that way but sometimes it's the same as the clutch. It just dies if I don't keep some throttle in it. Seems to do it more often when it cold outside but will still do it warm as well. What is odd is when it doesn't do it, it idles fine. Right around 1200 rpm or so and sometimes as low as 900-1000 when it's acting up.

I'm not very tune savy, but I know it can make a huge differance. Do these symptoms sound tune related and how many others have had this issue after doing these mods with no tune?

Thanks and I'm keeping my eye out for a good deal on a PC or even a flashtune interface. I know it needs it, just wanted to get some people's opinion on the matter that actually know.

See less See more
#3 ·
Most likely a Tune issue, with the exhaust you have, definitely need to get it flashed to compensate.

#4 · (Edited)
Well got a PCIII USB coming my way. Pretty excited about that. Wish I could afford the flashtune interface cable but we put an offer on a house yesterday and they accepted today! I don't really need all that fancy stuff right now. Just want the damn thing to stop dying at intersections lol it's awesome when you pull up and it dies 3-4 times before the light turns green.

#7 ·
Mine is doing the same. I just changed my spark plugs amd it was running fine. Juat when I pulled on the throttle on the road it spurted and it died. At first it gave me an error 19 on thr dashboard...replaces the kickstand switch and it worked but then died. That's when I changed the sparkplugs and it worked..but then died after a long ridem don't know whats sup.

#12 · (Edited)
Throttle body's out of sync? I've got a set of gauges I need to hook up to it.

Do u do any work on your own bike? What was the last thing u did to it? Do u have an alarm on your bike? Have u replaced ur sparks?
What caused this seems to be the cat delete. I changed the plugs and it helped. Has only died once since the plugs. No alarm.

#14 · (Edited)
===SOLUTION====
and good news, its free and takes about 10 min

I had this EXACT problem, drove me nutts for months. it was a fairly common occourance and it was like the bike flicked a switch between "fine" and "stall /idle bad until the ignition is reset"
had the bike in the shop for months and they couldnt work it out.
I eventually found a solution burried on this forum.
Even better somone has now posted a video of the fix on Youtube!
http://youtu.be/oMAKX4Ca9I4
or just look up 2007 r1 stalling fix.

aparently there is an adjustment yamaha make to the throttle bodies to help pass polution scrutineering when the bikes arrive in certain countries (Australia in my case) and usually it doesnt cause any problems but on some bikes it plays up. you just need to reverse this.

And so you're aware this problem didnt exist from the beginning, for me it developed after about 10,000km

Its a simple adjustment, when i first did it the fix worked a little too well and at the time and rather than stall and idle low it would actually idle a touch higher than usual, so i backed the adjustment off a little, and the bike has been fine for the last 2 years. As it would turn out the "switch" was alterations made by the O2 sensor program to the way the engine wanted to work.

I hope this helps you and anyone else who has this problem!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.