Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

07 Rear Caliper Replacement

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  deecarp1 
#1 ·
Hello,

I accidentally broke the seal on my rear caliper while removing the tire. The shop told me they would charge me $120 to have the rear caliper rebuilt. I was wondering if i buy a used caliper for $50 do I still need to rebuild the used one or I can just put the brake pads on it and start using it?

Thank you

#3 ·
Hello,

I accidentally broke the seal on my rear caliper while removing the tire. The shop told me they would charge me $120 to have the rear caliper rebuilt. I was wondering if i buy a used caliper for $50 do I still need to rebuild the used one or I can just put the brake pads on it and start using it?

Thank you
Like skunk said - its easy to rebuild yourself.

To answer your question - if you buy a used rear it is probably good to go as most come off of crashed bikes and are salvaged parts. You should be able to do a quick swap out (if it comes with pads in make sure you clean your discs before using different pads).

#5 ·
Dont rebuilt a OEM stock part :bs

if you dont have the money for upgrade get a use one. Like "deecarp1" is offering. Just make sure he sends you pix and he guarantees u that the parts is in 100% working condition. :yesnod

#6 ·
Dont rebuilt a OEM stock part :bs
I disagree. There is nothing wrong with the OEM calipers and rebuilding one is a good way to ensure it's in proper working order during the life of the bike. Why spend $50, or more, for a used caliper when you don't know it's condition? It might be slightly bent, warped, corroded on the inside, etc. If you buy used, you should take the opportunity to rebuild it to ensure you have a properly functioning part.

The OEM calipers are easy to rebuild if you have some mechanical abilities. The rear caliper kit is around $50 or less:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2007/R1 - YZFR1WC/REAR BRAKE CALIPER/parts.html

Item #4 on that page. It's $51.08 MSRP, $38.25 they are selling it at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.