Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

bmw s1000r or ducati 1199 panigale

9K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  Farsighted770 
#1 ·
hey guys, keeping my 08 R1 for my drag bike, but gonna get one of these bikes for my weekend riding.... what do u guys think, all comments and opinions wanted..

#6 ·
Honestly I was sold on the BMW because of the performance numbers until I saw a 1199 in person. That bike is pretty in pictures but it is breathtaking in person. The performance on either of those bikes is so incredible that you're not going to be able to tap everything on the streets anyway, so I'd the the duc. If it was for the track I'd have the BMW but for the street, duc all the way.

#8 ·
tho only thing I dont like about the rc8 is the tail looks like its 2 feet above the wheel, it looks like ur passenger would shoot over ur shoulders if u braked hard.. it really is a tuf dec, i always loved teh duc's, termignoni pipes, open clutch, which they got rid off, 1st year, unless u get the 1198, there both beautiful and different that ur jap bikes, luckily i have a couple months to make up my mind...wish i could test both out for a day, it would def help...hahaha

#10 ·
In my opinion, the Panigale for looks, the 1000RR for everything else. Though, the 1000RR HP4 is one hell of a looker too, even with those silly headlights. The RC8 just does nothing for me.

Once they release the Panigale in black, I will more than likely get one.

#13 · (Edited)
The bmw 1000rr would probably be easier to manage maintenance wise. A buddy of mine own a ducati 1098 and it was a nightmare for maintenance. You need some deep pockets everytime you do service unless im just being cheap. I was looking at the bmw 1000rr's maintenance schedule and it was fairly easy like every other sportbike on the market which i admire that bmw made it easy for their first major production sport/superbike. with the major work at the 18k mile mark (which imo is pretty damn good)

As for the ducati's, i kinda cringed looking at their recommended service with some pretty decent engine maintenance every 4k (not including oil changes) and major service at 12k

As for which bike is better. Ive ridden the 1000rr and the older 1098 so assuming its similar to the 1199. The Ducati is ultra light for its size, and very nimble in cornering and a dream to ride in the twisties. uncomfortable for long rides though, Much different riding position. The 1000rr is the same as well, less forgiving than the ducati, this bike has some serious BALLS to it. but its a bike that is meant to be pushed to its limits and if you dont, it makes no sense owning one.

#14 ·
Panigale pros
-the most cooler
-lot of people attention

Panigale cons
-maintenance
-will toast your legs/ass seriously unless riding on full gear at a speed
-worst price/performance equation

So, if lookings is your first priority then panigale, otherwise else bmw is the best choice based on your alternatives.

#15 ·

thanks for the advise fellas, and just to let one of u know who mentioned it, i do have an r1, i run it at the track, i love the bike, just looking for another type of bike to enjoy also.... looks like it will be the bmw s1000rr hp4....cant wait to get it and mod it fo my tastes...:machinegu on slow drivers..get outta my way

#17 ·
the BMW is the better of the two bikes and it cost less than the panigale.

#19 ·
FUN is subjective. You will have a lot more fun riding a twin compared to an inline 4.

Panigale pros
-the most cooler
-lot of people attention

Panigale cons
-maintenance
-will toast your legs/ass seriously unless riding on full gear at a speed
-worst price/performance equation

So, if lookings is your first priority then panigale, otherwise else bmw is the best choice based on your alternatives.
what do you mean by maintenance as con ? It has to be services every 15k miles. You cant get better than that.
well maybe you can.

panigale has the best weight to power ratio.

#22 ·
I owned a Panigale......

I sold it after 3 months as it was one of the worst handling bikes I've ever owned.

I am also reliably informed (a friend within Ducati) that there will be major changes from 2014 to the chassis/ swing arm/shock ratio linkage.

I am so pleased I never sold my R1.

Even for its age, it is still a better handling bike.

#24 ·
:yesnod

thats a precise definition of the panigale had a deposit on one awhile back and after taking a demo home for acouple days decided to get my deposit back and keep my 1098r...loved the motor in the pani this one was remapped with termis..but the handeling was terrible even my pig 07 r1 handled better!....which is acually becoming full time track day bike upon completion .....

#27 ·
Hate to agree(kaw... Meh) but the man isnt wrong. There is a ton of performance for the money with the zx10r, Especially the newest models, Tons of brute force and the electronics are decent enough.

I will say I ultimately tipped my hat to the r1 vs the suzi and kaw I was looking at in favor of price vs USABLE power... By that I mean where it makes it's grunt and how it behaves as a street bike that's back-roaded pretty fiercely. I miss the comfort of my suzi sometimes but I'm okay with the trade off :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.