Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

00-R1 starting problem

9K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  jshow 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 R1 that just died on me. lights come on and engine cranks fine. It is not getting any spark to any of the plugs witch make me think its not the coils. The parts guy at the shop thinks that it is either the CDI box or stater. I heard roomer that it could be the rectifier/regulator. It was running fine and turned it off, when I tried to turn it back on it woudnt ignite. I finally got it to start and gave it a good rev and it died. It turns over strong but will not ignite and stay running. Any opinions?

#5 ·
Yep. Check the rectifier. It's right under the seat. About the size of a cigarette box. Look at your wires and make sure none are melter or corodded. I have this model and it is very common.

WES

The wife now rides my old 00 and I had the same deal, bike died, acted crazy, and the rectifier plug pins were melted, I did a repair, and it has been fine. Run a search you will find ways to test every aspect of your problem.

#3 ·
yeah sounds like the reg/rec. It stops regulating and you're pretty hosed. Some signs are burned out connectors on the r/r and a really hot and bulged battery.

let me know how it goes.

#4 ·
I took off the r/r and inspected the connector. This connector has three white wires that I believe go to the stater.?. and has one red and one black wire. The middle white wire looks burnt out.. I think im going to try to re-do the connector and if that does not work I will buy the r/r. I hope its not the stater or CDI box, $. Would anyone know how to test a stater coil or r/r without having another one on hand???

#7 ·
I believe the rectifier is less than $70, but you can easily fix the pind on the plug.

#8 ·
Yes. Very easy fix. What I did was cut the wire back about 4 inches into the harness. I then cut the section out of the plug that was melted. Went to Lowes, Auto store, etcccccc and bought some connectors to put on the new end. The wire is no longer connected to the main connector. I wanted to I could disconnect that wire while leaving the main harness connected.

I then put a fan on my rectifier so it never gets hot now. I was in traffic on the highway moving around 10 mph and the rectifier was cool to the touch.

It doesn't even take a big fan.

http://www.r1-forum.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=15023

WES

#9 · (Edited)
#14 ·
Best bet, chek the voltage. I changed out the stator, flywheel, and thought I was ok... till today. My rectifier may be ok, but the wires are totally corroded. I pushed my bike about a half mile back to my house, but in 100 F weather.

Went and bought a voltmeter and just wondering how to use this... Im a plumber, not a electrician! Where exactly do you check?

#15 ·
The connections from the plug to the rectifier MUST be the first thing you guys check! The first and easiest way to check voltage is from at the battery with the bike off, with the bike at idle, and with the bike at 5000 rpms.

#17 ·
Good, now ride out to my place and show me what Im doing wrong! LOL! I think it may be the same for me. gonna take it all apart tonight to seee what is wrong, and then also install a lil fan on the r/r too. new stator is here, and I can now see about getting the bolt to take off that damn flywheel.

#18 ·
I went to advanced auto and purchased a couple of bolts to take off the flywheel. i had to cut the tip of the bolt off with a hack saw and then put it on an impact gun to take it off. if you can also tap it with a rubber malet to losen the flywheel. it is a pain in the ass but i will come off. remember, there is oil in there so you might want to have a pan ready to catch it when you take off the cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.