Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

09 R1 Turbo Kit

24K views 47 replies 28 participants last post by  Hoove 
#1 ·
I'm looking around to see if anyone has a turbo kit out for my 09 R1. I have done turbo kits on Mustangs, as well as tuning them on my dyno. I am getting my bike/atv dynojet dyno in about 3 weeks, so I would like to use this for a project bike! Any suggestions

#2 ·
send bike and $20k to Velocity Racing. they will fix u up with top notch system. but no ONE has off shelf bolt on stuff for this bike. mcxpress made one for 98-99 but nothing complete since then. unless ur gonna fab it all urself.

#7 ·
It makes no sense to turbo charge the bike, but that's not important, i for one would love to see a vid of the completed bike and would also love to see a pictorial of the work involved.

I guess it is just a bikey thing:dunno

#8 ·
Im sorry, I should have thought about the post before I wrote it. All points are well taken.

My reasoning for it would be the fact that I like the look/size of the R1. I rode a busa and a zx14, and didn't care for the size of it. I'm not sure if I would ever hit the track with the bike. I do take it to the dragstrip occasionally. I usually hit the normal back roads for a little bit of fun, and I realize that it will lack in the twisties with a turbo, but would be super fun in the straights

Im addicted to boost. I built a turbo 347 foxbody that runs 30+psi of boost that put down 700hp. I own an 03 cobra with a ported blower and a small shot of spray that put down 570hp, and 699tq. I would love to have a boosted bike!

I havent done much work on the bike yet to know about a custom turbo kit. I am ASSuming that it would be the same as a car kit I made, but a smaller setup.

Am I gonna need an upgraded fuel pump?
bigger injectors?
Will I be able to go wild enough with my dealer software for a custom tune through a pcv?

That was part of the reasoning for the kit.

Keep the comments and suggestions coming!!! Thanks guys:thumbup

#11 ·
The big question is, how much are you willing to spend to turbocharge your '09?

Another question is, what kind of power are you hoping for after spending that kind of money?

And last would be, is the stock motor capable of holding those numbers reliably or are you going to have to build it up?

#15 ·
Hey guys, Thanks for all the replies and responses. I gave in to the dark side this weekend and picked up a used busa. I plan on keeping the R1, and I can do some tasteful mods to it that would still be twistie friendly.

The busa I can turn into a turbo monster, and not feel bad about it. I think this will be the best of both worlds for the time being.

Comments??

#19 ·
Ever do this? I'm looking into what options I'd have for what years and I'd like to go with an 04+ with newer the better then turbo it. Looking into pricing and options.

#20 ·
I would be willing to turbo my 09. and not for track days or drag races. just for the simple fact to say "I did". they are not impossible to ride..if they were no one would ever turbo a sportbike.
And i also think it would sound awesome to have the exhaust note of the R1 along with the sound of a turbo spooling up. haha.

#25 ·
read the r1 turbo database.its been going for years and there is loads of usefull info on setup .i am in the final stages of my home built 03 r1 turbo.the noises a turbo bike make are awesome and power wheelies at 6 thou in 4th are a scream. a turbo r1 can be made very twisty friendly ,ithe size of turbo gearing and compression all have an efect on radeability.

#36 ·
yeah i thought that too...a very generous dyno. but maybe they still had it calibrated for the stock weight of the R1...im sure as a streetfighter it was at least 50-75lbs less

#38 ·
didnt say it would actually give it more hp. just saying if the drum on the dyno is set up for 460lbs and the bike only weighs say 390..then the hp numbers it gives wouldnt be correct at all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.