Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

FlashTune ECU Flashing Interface

2M views 13K replies 451 participants last post by  Tad158 
#1 ·
I got the type 1 ECU flashing interface from Flashtune today.

Here are the tuneable features for the 07-08 R1:
-Fuel table bias (ECU uses a MAP vs RPM and a TPS vs RPM table for fueling, the bias adjusts how much each table contributes to the final value used to control the injectors.)
-TPS vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-MAP vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-TPS vs RPM Ignition map (per gear)
-Engine braking
-YCCT APS vs RPM throttle maps (not directly edittable, can choose between two preset maps: stock and "race")
-Fan temps (stock or 205*F on, 195*F off)
-Immobilizer Operation (Normal or Bypassed)
-Yes, you can import .djm PCIII maps into the software, the software then scales the fuel maps for flashing the ECU just like the PCIII does.

Flashtune does claim to be actively expanding the software to allow for other adjustments as well.

I flashed my ECU with the "race" YCCT map and used the 6th gear ignition map for all gears. My bike does now idle around 1900 RPMs. After looking at the "race" YCCT map closer I believe it may be to blame. Aside from the high idle everything worked great. I went out for a quick ride and was able to power up 2nd gear sit-down wheelies, I tried hard before but it never happened. The bike does feel like it has a little extra pep.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the YCCT maps and the 1st and 6th gear ignition maps.

Attachments

See less See more
#4,672 ·
I've given the wall mount adapter for testing and conversion to 240 volts. Earlier I used a transformer to convert from 240 to 110 volts. If the wall mount is bad I'll connect directly to battery. If that fails I'll try the voodoo tricks and if that fails I'll have to send it back just hoping it hasn't fried my ecu.

#4,673 ·
My bet is that due to the 240V conversion, it is not providing the proper voltage. If it has the error 2 before it does anything the ECU is fine in my experience, because it can nont make a connection to the ECU to do anything to it. Your issue is likely a power issue.

Take a volt meter and measure the voltage coming out of the power supply, it should be 12V.

#4,674 ·
Phewww that's a relief. I tested the regulator, it was putting out 110 volts as required I haveto test the wall mount tomorrow. I'll check what it's putting out. If my ecu is fine and interface is fine I'll just chuck the wall mount away and use the bike battery. Can't go wrong with that at all.

#4,675 · (Edited)
First Impressions after flash

Well I finally took the plunge and flashed my (EU) 08...
I did try a map sent to me from a kind forum member some time ago that was dyno'd for a modified bike - mine's fairly stock so was worse to ride than stock.
Next - I started with the stock 07-08 map.
As I have some aftermarket slip-ons, I applied the DJ 520 fuel map and linked to all cylinders.
Then copied the ignition map from the 07-08 91+ Flash-tune map and pasted the values over the stock table - hoping this would be an improvement over stock.
Race YCC-T and engine braking sliders on zero.
I had bought the FT quick shifter (when I bought the interface) and have had it fitted for a while - waiting eagerly to try it after the flash.

First Impressions after a couple of rides;
Firstly, the QS function rocks! my first time to try it on a bike and I'm in love!
When cruising through the hills it felt quite smooth with a bit better throttle control. (~4000 - 9000 RPM)
Taking off - the increased idle of 1200 RPM was good - but once underway and rolling on - there was definitely no wheel lifting in every gear type sensation... these bikes are fast anyway! but no real improvement over stock, I felt a loss in performance if anything :(

What I've found after some thought;
I realised tonight that the ignition map was not over-layed on every gear - you can use 'CTRL-Q' after applying in first gear and it will over-write all other gears.

So I thought I'd start again...
The stock fuel map is supposed to be pretty good for a stock bike - with no race mods.
I'll now try - Stock 07-08 map, leave the stock fuel map to start (I will try the DJ520 after to compare now I have the ignition map sorted) and have over-layed the 91+ ignition map - now in every gear, Race YCC-T and engine braking sliders on zero. Fuel map bias set to 'stock'.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Will report back when I've ridden some more :hellobye
It's good to be in control!

#4,678 ·
Did you use the speedo correction feature, if yes I think thats the problem.

#4,680 ·
Well I sent them an email reporting it, if someone else has not reported it. I hopefully gave them enough info. Draggin, shoot them an email to complain, sort of the squeaky wheel approach...:dunno

#4,682 ·
peens map question

so I looked at the ycct throttle values on peens smooth map and I have a question has any one tried to match 1 to 1 throttle ratios ie 100 % with 100 in all of the colums from 1000 revs to 14000 and 94% with 94 values all the way etc

just wondering if ay one has tried this and what the results were

wouldnt this mean you get a more accurate throttle map?

#4,686 ·
I just bought and shut up :)

So guys, running. Peen's v2 map. What will lower octane fuel do to my motor considering the ignition timing has been altered?

First thoughts, in A mode the bike feels very civilised until 5-6k rpm, after that it goes ballistic. Dunno if that's due to the ycct changes or fuel map or ignition.

#4,688 ·
Nice, maybe we'll have alternate Bazzaz fuel map for FT or at least your impressions how it's working :) I'm still trimming my PCV map driving around the city, mostly up to 8k rpm and 40-60% throttle..

#4,690 ·
You dont need the bazzaz to achieve a "proper" fuel map, that can be obtained with the current FT interface you have. As far as a "magical" AFR number to use, to make optimal power through the powerband, the AFR is going to vary with RPM. You cant expect to tune the whole fuel map to certain AFR and expect to have a perfect map. If thats what you are seeking then I suggest you find a good tuner with a proper dyno and get ready to invest some money in dyno time. All an AT is going to do is get your AFR's in the ballpark. There will be a "proper" fuel map out for the '12(or whatever you ride) if you wait.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

#4,692 · (Edited)
The only people in this thread with good dyno charts are running auto tune. I'll take my chances.
Not totally true. Did you seen N4speed's latest dyno chart? That was not auto-tuned, it was dyno tuned and it runs like a f**king BEAST! An AT isnt going to get you the "perfect" map that you are seeking.

It's damn sure better than any ft map available and i can compensate for ram air, etc.
The money you are going to spend on the bazzaz and AFM, you could take to a good dyno tuner and have the perfect map you are seeking and make maximum reliable HP. A good dyno is set up to simulate the "ram air" effect which honestly the ram air on the road compared to a well set up dyno isnt that big of a factor as you think it is. Do some research and find a good local tuner. There are a few FT maps out that will give better results than you are going to get using just your AT. Just doesnt make sense to go spend roughly another $500 on a bazzaz and AFM when you already spent $350 on the FT and can achieve the same results with what you already have.

#4,694 ·
just tried my second map, peen's '12 91+ PCV 007 Rev 1.

at first seemed better at 4-6k compared to Chatham's so i went for good long and hard ride. 20mins into it i wanted to turn back and take that crap off. not impressed at all.

engine ran like, s'''t, noisy, rpms would get up quickly but no extra hp feel. not smooth at all.

Chatham your map still rocks for '12 eu 98 octane, smooth consistent and very strong 7k upwards wow

#4,697 ·
I bought DJ o2 sensor eliminator today (didn't came with PCV) to check the difference in AT trims with it being installed. I'm going to remove my PCV+AT and install Bazzaz in Spring (ZFi TC + Z-AFM is waiting boxed) although I don't see many Bazzaz users with flashtuned ECU sharing experience here. Meantime I'd like to see your real dyno charts and numbers not only "butt impressions" and "will do" wishes!

:beer

#4,701 ·
Enough!

Oilfield, AKDMA - are you guys done?
Enough with the :sissy: already

I, like most others on this forum, really want to read something about people's experiences with playing with FT... and the DJ stuff.

We can all be friends here!

The FT software gives us the option to load DJ maps - so of course the AT is going to be good... for the bike it's made on... just like a custom dyno tune will be good for the bike it's done on.

And those using the DJ AT will only alter fueling without the timing map adjustments that a full dyno tune will allow a FT user to incorporate.

I don't think anyone can claim they will get 100% out of their bike by playing with FT - but most seem to get some improvement over stock - and hey - if you're not racing, what's the big deal?

I doubt many (not all) here can ride their bike's to their full potential anyway... or maybe that's just me. :dunno

#4,703 ·
I've got to the 168th page of this thread; by the time I get to the end I may have lost my sanity so can anyone help me out please?

I'm running peen's v2 map. What other map can I try N4Speed's? WHat fuel maps are these maps based on, for which exhaust?

Our climate is hot and humid, similar to Australia. Octane rating is 97 RON but can't be sure of it so 91-93 RON is a safe estimate.

I'm running a low mount single racefit 3/4 system exhaust.

Our Octane rating is not the best so I'd rather play it safe with the ignition timings. How do I copy the entire ignition table from the stock map to some other map and will it affect how the bike runs using other maps?

#4,704 ·
For anyone who's interested, new FT version is available now: 1.5.3.0. These are teh changes:
- 06-07 R6 Error 50 bug fixed
- Blend values input text box fixed
- EXUP disable bug fix for r6 models
- ETV engine braking method adjusted
- 2012 R6 Race Ycct maps adjusted
- 2012 R6 Speedo GI bug fixed
- Speedo Calibration fixed for high speeds 150+mph

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.