Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Headwork Winter Project

2M views 21K replies 174 participants last post by  Jan Okal 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey there guys, thought some of you might find this interesting…

I’m doing some headwork on my 2003 R1 over winter. I own a bike shop in the UK and it’s getting up to the quiet period for me and I have been planning to do this for a long time.
Because I own a bike shop I obviously have access to the workshop, tools and resources to do work like this and it got me thinking, what I can do to my engine to make it the way I want with the minimum amount of money spent. I’m on quite a tight budget (owning a bike shop hasn’t made me the millionaire I hoped it would but I wouldn’t change it for the world!). I have a list of things I plan to do which I’ll go into in a bit.

Firstly, I’d like to say thanks to a few people on here who’ve helped me out already with the info/specs I was missing and given me some great advice as to going about things. They know who they are. Also, thanks to the people who make this great source of information possible, the guys who run this forum. :beer

For future readers, please check out this thread also as it contains some very useful info on tools I use and additional information from other users.

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185329 Thanks to BSR-1 for starting that thread.

See less See more
#20,423 ·
I had the ecu flashed and listed my mods. Flash tune is supposed to add fuel accordingly. Whether they did or not I don't know because it hasn't been dyno tuned or anything, but I trust they did
I'd get a PC-V and a custom map but that's just me.
It may or may not solve your heat issue but your bike will run WAY better!

#20,424 ·
3/4 Leo SBK and bmc filter. Pretty much it

Yea i have fans in the pits and kill the bike before it overheats, but my higher priority problem is the coolant filling the over flow during track riding. I am afraid it is going to spit coolant out of the overflow tube and soak the rear tire

:thumbup

#20,425 ·
A pcv shouldn't do anything more than what he already has. The flash tune does the same thing but doesn't physically add any wires/modules/boxes...ect..plus it will do things a PCV can't do. So adding one wouldn't exactly help with fueling as you're implying. It's kind of a neat system they have with it

#20,427 ·
I personally have not messed with it first hand. So I don't wanna be that guy passing out info w/out using it personally. But I believe you can operate it very similar to a PCV/bazzaz by changing the tables. You can enter a map, leave it open/closed loop, ect... But again, that's the info I've gathered from reading a bit and listening to other that have had the opportunity to play with it

#20,428 ·
I personally have not messed with it first hand. So I don't wanna be that guy passing out info w/out using it personally. But I believe you can operate it very similar to a PCV/bazzaz by changing the tables. You can enter a map, leave it open/closed loop, ect... But again, that's the info I've gathered from reading a bit and listening to other that have had the opportunity to play with it
This is correct.

It has a tuning interface like a power commander or bazzaz, it's just better with more options

#20,429 ·
This is correct.

It has a tuning interface like a power commander or bazzaz, it's just better with more options
But the question was:
Is flashtune a closed loop system or a generic map?

Maybe I'm confused but it seems like it doesn't have a lambda sensor or any other means to check fueling and make adjustments, right? It's just someone's guess as to what you need.

#20,431 ·
It's the ecu
I know it's the ECU......it's been, "flashed"...... my question is, How does it know to adjust fueling? Was it put on a dyno and properly tuned or did somebody just load a generic map into it in his garage?

I'm trying to help here but it's like we're talking two different languages.

If the fueling is too lean it can cause it to run hot. You've added more than stock air. How does anyone know if the, "flash" is adding the correct amount of fuel to compensate?

#20,433 ·
The flash tune has an interface where I can adjust the amount of fuel. It also still uses the stock o2 sensor
Maybe I'm just uninformed, it may be fine.
Sorry if I came across as a dick, I just didn't think you were getting my point.

Last Ideas:
You could wire in a fan switch so that you can run the fan whenever you need to.

Have you tried engine ice or the other brand, (don't remember the name)? Are those allowed on racetracks?
Or pure water?
Pure water has a higher thermal transfer rate than coolant. The coolant has anti corrosion additives, long term use of pure water will cause rust but for just track use it would be fine.

#20,435 ·
The flash tune has an interface where I can adjust the amount of fuel. It also still uses the stock o2 sensor
But how do you know what and where to adjust? How was the mapping setup? The stock O2 sensor is not a wideband sensor so cannot be used for loaded higher rpm mapping at all its just a idle trimming device and a very crude one.

#20,440 ·
But how do you know what and where to adjust? How was the mapping setup? The stock O2 sensor is not a wideband sensor so cannot be used for loaded higher rpm mapping at all its just a idle trimming device and a very crude one.
Flashtune is just a device that allows you to modify and then flash the ECU ROM. Currently, you can adjust the YCC-T map and base ignition maps (one per gear) and the base fuel maps (one per cylinder in MAP vs RPM and TPS vs RPM)(for 07-08 R1, but you get the idea). The MAP vs RPM map is used only below ~14% TPS allegedly (for 07-08 R1). There are also other features such as a quickshifter, V-stack switch-over adjustment, rev limit adjustment, idle adjustment, EXUP delete...

Of course the only way to know what to adjust is to tune on a dyno or through some data logging. It just depends on your tuning criteria. Some guys are convinced they can tune the fuel and ignition maps by feel alone (high load).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.