Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Beginner suspension items

3K views 52 replies 10 participants last post by  mmerelles 
#1 ·
So I've decided to make my 05 R1 my track bike. The bike is totally stock and has had the snot ran out of it, so needless to say, it NEEDS some freshening up. I will start by saying I don't want to have to sell body parts to be able to buy these suspension components...I know ohlins is great. However it isn't in the cards, nor do I think it should be for someone who hasn't set foot on a track before.

What I was thinking was a budget friendly (I understand most is expensive, like 800 bucks fork and 800 bucks rear shock.) suspension set up for my weight. I would get out on the track and figure out what I need but I don't want anything to make me more nervous or jittery than I already will be. I want to be able to know my suspension is good, for the most part, and be able to fine tune it.

I'm looking for Front forks. I'm assuming what I need is a cartridge kit?? Idk though. What are you guys using?

As far as rear shock, I've been looking at penske but I don't really know what I'm looking at. What do I need?

I weigh about 175 lbs before gear. Idk if that helps some of you guys or not but just thought I'd lay it all out there. I'm 6'4" also.

I like Racetech stuff because it seems to be budget friendly. I will probably buy the components and have a local in IN install them, and set them up for me. 35motorsports.. Idk if anyone has heard of them or not.

Thanks! sorry if this is all over the place, trying to learn and get setup but I'm already nervous. haha!

-Michael

See less See more
#2 ·
i dont know the answers to all you questions but heres the info i do know.

you want to do fork internals to save the money and to my knowledge you could send the stock shock out to be redone for you. so really your just looking at upgrading your own forks/shock is the first step in suspention tuning.

i wish i knew more but honestly i havent looked much into this area yet. still learning just like you.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Cartridges will replace the full internals of your forks. They are highly rebuildable (important for race folks), highly customizable (important for race folks) and priced lower than full forks.

Most people can get buy with new pistons (valves, also known as a piston kit) and springs that are proper for weight. They cost much less than cartridge kits.

#11 · (Edited)
Because you are a beginner moving into a racing suspension is a waste of money. The R1 stock suspensions are far better than your skills, it can match up to high pace racing intermedium level. And you are also in their stock weight springs range. Just replace the oil for a fresh one if you haven’t since brand new (it degradates after 3k), and get some assistance for damping tuning (sag, compresion, rebound).

Put a race body on it (you will save money in case you crash), steel brake lines, 520 gearing and you are ready to go for having a lot of fun.

If you still have some money, invest it on professional training, you will enjoy your bike so much then… do not waste your money on racing components you will not even appreciate any difference, trust me. Just my 2 cents.

#14 ·
All of the information so far has been great!

DanQ- That write up is excellent and in-depth enough for my stupid self, however I may just send you a PM if I get stuck while setting up my suspension.

My problem is, How much trust can be put into 7 year old suspension, that I know without a doubt hasn't been touched? I'm a huge "while I'm in there" kind of guy and don't really want to have to do things two or three times when it could've been done once and forgotten about. I DO NOT have money just burning a hole in my pocket, if there's a dollar to be saved, I'll be the one saving it. HOWEVER, the race track (from what I've read) isn't the place to skimp. I'd hate to have something go wrong, big or small, because I should have done this first or should have bought this. Whether or not that's inevitable is for the future to say....

I really thought I could save a headache in the future here while it's winter in Indiana and upgrade my parts now whenever the funds are available. For roughly 500-600 bucks front and rear for slight-moderate upgrades why wouldn't you? Especially for something that won't need to be upgraded for a long time if ever.

Just my opinion though. I know everyone else will have one, so let me hear it. Gonna work on DanQ's write up tomorrow and hopefully get things figured out a little bit.

#27 ·
just have to bring it up and we'll go through it.....Jason will help you get a baseline for your suspension....and go from there. If you have a good set of tools, I could run down your way sometime as well if you don't have a way to get your bike up here short of riding it.

#31 ·
Looks like you guys will get him in the right direction.

Meister37: I know the dead dinosaur fluid is probably beyond crap at this point, but see what the numbers say. If the springs are close, those forks will dial. If not, give me a shout. Wasn't looking to do anymore work this year so I can get a few sets of my own done, but if I can help I will.

#47 ·
It's all preference and wallet man.

Some people will swear by Ohlins, and get passed by guys with Racetech or stock stuff. You just have to decide what best fits your budget. It's all good stuff, it's all race proven and tested. You really can't go wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.