Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

My 2007+ r1 Build (here we go)

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Kangaroo 
#1 ·
It all started summer time last year. A good friend of mine had just purchased a 2005 fz6. I knew nothing of motorcycles at the time other than them having two wheels and a motor. He always talked about how fun it was to ride and how free he felt on the open road.
The beginning of September, 2011, two of our close friends and I decided to take the motorcycle safety course. We each had a different motorcycle in mind, and once we found the "deal of a lifetime" we quickly made the plunge. My The friend of mine who was the first to purchase a bike got a 2007 candy apple red r6. To his and our dismay, it was stolen that same night. :(
( A side note to the amount of "unlucky" that my friend had gained; he had an "emergency" fund saved up and decided to purchase another bike with that money. He landed a heavily modded Kawasaki 650r. One night we went out riding to a locally famous road known for it's sharp 90* turns. The surface was a very rocky asphalt and started to form tire pits. On one turn he hit a patch of the rocks and low-sided. The front of the bike was destroyed, and he got a pretty bad road rash on his lower back.)
After witnessing that accident, I couldn't ride for 3 months from the fear of something like that happening to me.
My other friend purchased a 2006 gsxr600 a week later, which he quickly put 11k miles on in a mere 8 months. I was graced with a 2006 ZZR600 that quite literally fell into my lap. Let's just say I got it for almost half of the KBB. This bike had a few scratches on it, and had 16k miles.
I parking-dropped the bike a total of 3 times while owning it for the past year... One time having fuel dump all over my leg from the over-flow valve... She was a fun bike, but it was time to let her go. I Put 4500 miles on her in a year and a month.
Once I made up my mind, I decided to put the bike up for sale. For a week, I was getting low-ball offers of $500+ less than what I was asking, so I had enough. I decided to raise the price by $200 dollars. Not 2 hours later, someone texted me about the bike and offered me $100 less than my last posted price. I quickly accepted.
After selling the ZZR, I was left with the question of what bike I wanted next. I was fairly sure I wanted a 2008+ R6 but my friend with the fz6 quickly changed my mind with the simple statement "Your have been riding for a year already, why not get an R1?" At first I thought it was a pipe dream, until checking CL and finding out that the R1 really wasn't out of my reach financially as I assumed.
One 2007 candy apple red R1 caught my eye. In the photos it looked immaculate. The price was right, especially the fact that it only had 1450 miles. After a week of worrying and title transfers, I brought her home with me.
Queue the pictographs:

See less See more
#2 ·

First watch after purchase.

Ditto

Ditto 2

Fender Eliminator and flush mounts installed

Ditto3 Bike looks skinny without the huge stock turn signals...

Pazzo Racing shorty levers installed

So far I have put 1600 miles on this bike since the purchase on Sept 7. She is a blast and I hope to have many more years of fun with her.

#6 ·
Alright, instead of starting a new thread, I'll just post my question here. I am replacing my stock exhaust with a full Akrapovic. I have it all in, but am wondering about something. When I attach the headers to the head, are the pipes supposed to be able to slide in and out of the head attachment? I have the bolts tightened to factory specs and the pipes are sliding out. I assume I have to use the springs to keep them in?

#13 ·
Awesome bike. You got the best color;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

#14 ·
cool ride but i agree the build is just starting so keep it up and keep the pics coming

#15 ·
i just got in an accident. Luckily for me I landed on the car that I hit, so possibly just slight wrist strain. Bike will need a new rear seat frame as well as new rear sets, front right headlight, mirrors, and front fairing. Thank God the damage isn't more severe than it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.