Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Awesome AMA SBK Build - Not an R1

5K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Mad Matt 
#1 · (Edited)
Check this out over on ZX-10R.net, an AMA SBK build by EDR Performance in Portland, OR. First the break-in dyno with OEM cams, pistons, crank and airbox.

EDR says that once it's properly broken-in and in race trim with no other changes it will make over 210 rwhp. Read the whole build: http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=111279

The thing that kills me is the owner of the bike totalled up what he had in the build and it is just about what I have into my R1 with no internal engine mods. I love my R1 and all, but damn I am loving that ZX-10R... Heresy I'm sure here, so flame on!

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
I'm pretty damn happy to live about 15 minutes from EDR. Not only do they build amazing race machines, but they're great for even just basic maintenance. You can even ride in unannounced and they will drop what they're doing to change a tire for you while you wait. They all clearly have a passion for bikes, and are enthusiastic to chat about whatever awesome machine they're currently building. I've had them do any work I need a shop to do on my bike and I have not been disappointed whatsoever.

#13 ·
There is another guy who really knows his way around a Crossplane R1, Ricky Corey. He's an AMA racer (#77) and engine builder I met on the Graves forum when I was researching the "cross-flow" radiator mod. Check out his website: http://rickycoreyracing.com/. Here's his Crossplane Superbike Build Dyno chart:

Best part - here's the engine building pricing direct from him website:
>>
Yamaha R1:
a. 2009-2011 R1 AFM Production Complete Engine Build - $1500 labor + parts & machining
b. 2009-2011 R1 AFM Production Top End Engine Build - $700 labor + parts & machining
c. 2009-2011 R1 AMA Superbike Complete Engine Build - $1550 labor + parts & machining
d. 2009-2011 R1 AMA Superbike Top End Engine Build - $750 labor + parts & machining

RCR Performance also offers custom engine builds including overbores and many other Unlimited Class modifications. (Please contact us for a quote)
Also offered by RCR Performance, (Amateur and Professional) Road Racing Sponsorship Discounts. (Please contact us for more info)
Labor costs are for engines removed from chassis by customer. (Additional charges to remove and replace engine in chassis)
Yamaha OEM parts are billed to customer at dealer cost + 12%. (Parts provided by San Jose Yamaha Racing)
<<

Here's a video of him riding his Crossplane racebike that he built - I'd say he certainly knows how to ride!:

I've contacted him about building a streetable, reliable 170-175 rwhp Crossplane motor. I'm hoping it's not too bad, and if it is, I'm going to be liquidating some other toys to get my bike to where it should be.

#14 ·
wow. thanks for the info.! thats pretty damn good prices..

too bad he's so far away... i dont know how i feel about trucking
my engine down.. but then i've got easy access to EDR... so i
think i'm good to go.. :thumbup

thats one crazy crossplane though.!! wow.. impressive!

#17 ·
Thanks guys..the ZX10 has been a good but long year...we had only 1 set back but due to contracts cant really discuss..but in the end getting 205rwhp was not too hard...as others said stock cams/pistons/rods due to ama rules but a LOT of time in the head and tuning..the chassis was a lot of work but thanks to my uk buds we got the thing to work on the spec tires....

Now we have 4 new R1's in shop for builds..should be fun..everything from trackday to full sbk so something for everyone..man i miss my 09 R1 at times... my personal bike only makes 49lbs/ft of tq... ;)

#18 ·
btw Ricky Corey is a great guy..his R1 is FAST however please dont compare his R1 to our ZX10..his R1 i'd guess has about 10 times the $$$ in it...a LOTTT of $$$... but hey he rode it amazing still in the AFM series. Plus he had more than a few engine failures on the bike..but again when we push the limits and put under full race use...things happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.