Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Gilles Chain Adjusters

5K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  Benocehcap 
#1 ·
Just pick up a set of Gilles chain adjusters with the lifters for $160. Not too shabby I don't think... :dunno

What does everyone think of their Gilles adjusters? I have read quite a few positive reviews but there are some bad ones out there.

-Michael

#8 ·
Noice purchase dude!!

#9 ·
i got some on that sale aswell but didnt get the lifters yet. funds were tight

#15 ·
from what i remember, the Gillles method of adjustment is a PIA... takes 4ever to adjust...

i'll be getting a set of Lightech's in the future, or when $$ is available... :lol

#36 · (Edited)
:lhumper::lhumper:

so i'm not smoking the cheap stuff then!... yeh i couldnt remember what the issue was., thanks for posting.

:lhumper:

#21 ·
the lightechs are easier because you need no tools to adjust them. they also cost significatly more. the TCA style gilles like i showed you just loosed axle nut and turn each side with allen tool and retighten axle nut.

i wouldnt sit on these on a stand though. they do move around on their own when you have wheel removed.(its only that lil 8mm bolt that holds your whole bike up, i'll use the bobbins because thats what they are designed for) im good 240 and i sit on my bike with the boobins on the stand and feel comfortable doing so. would never do that off the adjusters

#24 ·
god i love getting good deals on top end parts. have less then 500 in both the gilles rearsets and adjusters and the rearsets retail for 580 ;) this forum is good to us!

#27 ·
Just picked up a set as well from MM(thanks Corey) haven't fitted them yet but they are the TCA items and look trick. They also seem straight forward to fit and not too different from stock but then again, I'm ok with the technical stuff when I have the tools!
Mike

#33 ·
Don't take this as Gospel PJ but the problem as I'm aware (and have seen) is that the 07> swinger is thicker at the rear where the adjusters actually clamp. This means that they don't necessarily sit square and can stop the adjusters sitting flat and effect the clamping ability of the axle. This is why (I believe) they ask you put back the OEM adjuster bolts to stop the wheel from moving forward should that in fact happen.
I have seen NO examples of >06 having a problem and when fitted correctly they sit perfectly flat and will not effect the axle clamping force.

Like I say this is not anything official.

There were of course some examples of dipshits spacing them out with washers and stuff on extended swingers and the like, but then they get what they deserve :lol

#38 ·
think again mate... i live in British Columbia, 'nough said :secret:

#41 ·
Been running the 1st model myself, never had a problem, and no, I don't use the OEM adjuster bolts, just the bolts that I got from Gilles (just like rorlow), which I Loctite'd. I'll go as far as saying that I don't even use the pieces that are suppose to clamp at the end of the swingarm, cause it was a PITA for me to put on. :lol

And for the ease of adjusting your chain, they pay for themselves. For the longest time I would run different wheels between the street and the track, but with my choice of street tires only going up to 190/50, it meant I always had to move the axle blocks to compensate between that and my 190/55 race DOTs. The Gilles adjusters make it such a breeze to just take an allen wrench (which every motorcyclist should have on hand anyway!) and adjust as needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.