Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Headwork Winter Project

2M views 21K replies 174 participants last post by  Jan Okal 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey there guys, thought some of you might find this interesting…

I’m doing some headwork on my 2003 R1 over winter. I own a bike shop in the UK and it’s getting up to the quiet period for me and I have been planning to do this for a long time.
Because I own a bike shop I obviously have access to the workshop, tools and resources to do work like this and it got me thinking, what I can do to my engine to make it the way I want with the minimum amount of money spent. I’m on quite a tight budget (owning a bike shop hasn’t made me the millionaire I hoped it would but I wouldn’t change it for the world!). I have a list of things I plan to do which I’ll go into in a bit.

Firstly, I’d like to say thanks to a few people on here who’ve helped me out already with the info/specs I was missing and given me some great advice as to going about things. They know who they are. Also, thanks to the people who make this great source of information possible, the guys who run this forum. :beer

For future readers, please check out this thread also as it contains some very useful info on tools I use and additional information from other users.

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185329 Thanks to BSR-1 for starting that thread.

See less See more
#20,441 ·
Flashtune is just a device that allows you to modify and then flash the ECU ROM. Currently, you can adjust the YCC-T map and base ignition maps (one per gear) and the base fuel maps (one per cylinder in MAP vs RPM and TPS vs RPM)(for 07-08 R1, but you get the idea). The MAP vs RPM map is used only below ~14% TPS allegedly (for 07-08 R1). There are also other features such as a quickshifter, V-stack switch-over adjustment, rev limit adjustment, idle adjustment, EXUP delete...

Of course the only way to know what to adjust is to tune on a dyno or through some data logging. It just depends on your tuning criteria. Some guys are convinced they can tune the fuel and ignition maps by feel alone (high load).
You can use a wide band and the highway, personally I wouldn't, but some people do..

#20,442 ·
Some guys are convinced they can tune the fuel and ignition maps by feel alone (high load).
:2bitchsla
Some people jump in front of trains but i wouldn't recommend that either:fact

#20,443 ·
Interface

You can use a wide band and the highway, personally I wouldn't, but some people do..
The interface does have basemaps to start with. It dont just sit you out there blind though.

#20,444 ·
The interface does have basemaps to start with. It dont just sit you out there blind though.
Yes, the but modifying those base maps without the proper instrumentation is tuning blind. No offense, but in the context you used 'basemaps' in I doubt you really understand how maps are used in the ECU. I recommend some research into.

Sent from my DROID4 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#20,445 ·
Yes, the but modifying those base maps without the proper instrumentation is tuning blind. No offense, but in the context you used 'basemaps' in I doubt you really understand how maps are used in the ECU. I recommend some research into.

Sent from my DROID4 using Motorcycle.com Free App
This is the problem with giving the public access to ecu's. Its no different to selling them jet kits. I've had people come in and say "yes my friend tuned my bike for me at the track". "Oh how did he do that". "He adjusted the idle screw whilst blipping it, its really crisp now". :boom That's like looking at a cracking tit job and the camera pulls back and its some 70 year old:yuk:

As you said no offense to anyone having a play but its either right or its wrong. There is no middle ground. Generic maps are at best useable but nowhere near optimum. The data going in is only as good as the person entering it too!

#20,446 ·
Basemap

This is the problem with giving the public access to ecu's. Its no different to selling them jet kits. I've had people come in and say "yes my friend tuned my bike for me at the track". "Oh how did he do that". "He adjusted the idle screw whilst blipping it, its really crisp now". :boom That's like looking at a cracking tit job and the camera pulls back and its some 70 year old:yuk:

As you said no offense to anyone having a play but its either right or its wrong. There is no middle ground. Generic maps are at best useable but nowhere near optimum. The data going in is only as good as the person entering it too!
I understand that when you buy a exhaust that they also send you a map which would probably considered as a "basemap" so your bike wont run like total crap until you can get to a tuner. I my self do not have an interface but i do have my ecu flashed and yes i have tuned my bike with the flashing.But i would like the capabilities to advance or retard timing which the interface gives you that capabilitie.

On another note the autotune is a alternative way of tuning for everyday riding instead of a dyno run everytime you go to the track or a LCD screen where you can adjust for the weather among other devices that display air and fuel mixture.

#20,447 ·
I understand that when you buy a exhaust that they also send you a map which would probably considered as a "basemap" so your bike wont run like total crap until you can get to a tuner. I my self do not have an interface but i do have my ecu flashed and yes i have tuned my bike with the flashing.But i would like the capabilities to advance or retard timing which the interface gives you that capabilitie.

On another note the autotune is a alternative way of tuning for everyday riding instead of a dyno run everytime you go to the track or a LCD screen where you can adjust for the weather among other devices that display air and fuel mixture.
Yuuuuup:boobies:boobies
The base map is just a start. I often see some of the US powercommander maps being really poor when run on UK bikes as our fuel is quite a lot different to theirs. Probably not a worry for americans running our maps though as they are all gay and can't ride so never run high rpm anyways.

#20,448 ·
The base map is just a start. I often see some of the US powercommander maps being really poor when run on UK bikes as our fuel is quite a lot different to theirs. Probably not a worry for americans running our maps though as they are all gay and can't ride so never run high rpm anyways.
Least our women don't have hairy armpits

#20,450 ·
Lol

Lol thats funny. I am a drag racer so my RPM stay above 12000 but your right I don't know how to ride on a road racing track.lol! I'm definitely not gay though.

#20,454 ·
I bought a yec generator for my 08 r1 recently. Once I had it, I started to think about how a standard rotor could possible be modified to the same or even better for the road guy somewhere in between. I have been looking at 2 different ways of doing this both will mean machining the magnets. Just wondering has anyone ever tried this or heard of being done?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.