Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The secret of the 2012 side light

20K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  Ninj 
#1 ·
So i recently did the 2009 to 2012 conversion on my R1 and there was talk about not being able to change the side lights.

I said that's rubbish Yamaha wouldn't be so stupid as to seal a light inside a unit and not be able to change it if it fails.

So this post is for every one that was as curious as me to know what was behind the new 2012 side light for the R1 and why Yamaha thought it so important to seal it up.

I tried to heat it up, prise it off, twist it, pull it talk to it nothing worked :shake

So i cut it off and i was surprised at what i saw.

There is no bulb its a circuit board with two LED's one facing straight and the other facing down.

I have a idea to modify this side light to hold a bulb/LED for more light and im hoping it shines brighter and all the way down the strip. Those who have the 2012 front end will know what i mean. The light doesn't quite reach all the way down the strip.

Comments welcome

See less See more
#2 ·
So the "strip" is some sort of fiber optic light pipe?
I can't see why it doesn't light up the entire length.
They sealed the LED housing, because LED's theoretically have no where out mechanism if the current is properly limited to safe level.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

#21 · (Edited)
They sealed the LED housing, because LED's theoretically have no where out mechanism if the current is properly limited to safe level.
LEDs last forever and a day, and then some..!! they are very, very low current.! no point in making it serviceable... i dont think Yamaha ever intended for it to light the whole bar, looks to fade naturally..

. i still think they're fugly as all hell... but thats just me... :finger

#4 ·
So what color is the side light, white?
I changed the side bulbs on my '09 to PIAA ion yellow just to be different. I'm also running yellow H7's in the headlights during the day. It seems to make a difference in fewer cars cutting me off and generally noticing me more. Running with beams on high as well.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

#5 ·
I believe those are high intensity LEDs. You probably won't have much luck getting anything brighter unless you just put more.
Yes there pretty bright for only 2 LED's but you can always go brighter with more. I got some thing lined up i want to try and i will keep every one posted.

#6 ·
So what color is the side light, white?
There side light is white and the light travels about 2/3 the way down

Shot at 2012-07-27

#7 ·
#8 ·
I bet it would get too hot though. My dive light has those eLED's in it (I think 4) and runs off 4 C batteries and has a heatsink that protrudes through the middle of the lens to be water cooled. IT has a cap you have to keep on it so you don't burn yourself with it.

#11 ·
geez, i'm glad i've got an 09!... ahhahahhaa... :lol

#13 ·
Good luck with that...my fingers are way too fat to try and f with wires and lights that small. haha

Would be cool to get a few color changing LEDs in there and hook em up to a controller so you could change colors without modifying anything again.

#17 ·
damn glad i didnt pay 3k more for a led strip that doesnt light all the way up. missed the bullet on that ;)

#37 · (Edited)
Here is my mod, currently ordered another brighter set of T10 hope it will shine all the wayndown:
Warning: it is a permanent mod, you can never turn back to original stage.

1) remove all front faring and remove the headlight unit from the bike

2) remove both LED strip from the unit (only clips, unclip with care and gentle

3)remove original LED circuitboard from the light, the onlyway to remove is to cut it off and say goodbye to it, it is your choice how to do it, I use a solder to melt the surrounding plastic,
Note: only cut a diameter enought to take the circuit board out, becAuse i want to keep the remain to glue a washer on it.

4)sand the surface smoth and glue a 1.2" washer ontop this to hold/support the 2009 r1 cord assy that we will use.

5)now you can use the 2009 r1 T10 Holder (i order it from yamahaparthouse - cord assy - http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/500475b0f8700209bc798069/headlight

Cut the 09 cord assy connector off and weld the wire to the oringal 2012 connector,

6) here is what it will look after use a super white 5w T10 LED bulb , I still not satisfy with the brightness, will order a better SMD T10 led,

Here using a blue T10 bulb

7) reinstall the LED strip back to the headlight unit and to the bike

I am waiting to try this LED t10
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270981307999?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

#42 ·
old thread bump... i love the search feature :D

sooo do we have some updated pics of this at night? also how many lumen LED did you use? i see they range from 12-168... that's super bright,

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/194LED194-T10-LED-Bulb

and also what temp range would you say these are? i want them to match the HID's i wanna do 6000k... lemme know.

THANKS! :D

#43 · (Edited)
? did you keep the resistors that are wired in line with the 2012 + R1 side lights?
Led's naturally have very low resistances which is why I think they wired in two resistors in series for the side lights.

I was thinking if you convert to the 2009 connector, since the T10 bulb is a direct replacement for the incandescent bulb, that you could now remove the resistors in series with the side lights as they are no longer needed. Just a thought.

I am also going to try and build upon this mod by running two flexible LED strips down the backsides of the light tubes.

UPDATE: After much research.. You have to still keep the resistors. If you don't you run the risk of stuff dimming out when you turn them on. Also I don't think I will be able to run the led strip as is it pretty high and not as flat as I thought it was going to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.