Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Considering new R1...issues to be aware of?

3K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  BugJuice 
#1 ·
I have an 08 R1 and thinking about upgrading to a 2013. Any issues that I should be aware of before getting the new set of keys? How do you guys like the newer models? I didn't realize that when I bought my bike in 08, that yamaha was coming out with a brand new version the next year. Is there a major revamp on the horizon for 2014 models in that I should wait another year? Just trying to collect thoughts before I fork over $13k in cash. Thanks

#9 ·
i'm happy still with my 09,!.. :lol

#12 ·
Both have different very different personality. With the same mods the power is pretty much the same. You have to ride the bikes differently because of the power delivery. I like the both but like the 08 more. I would like to see a lighter and more powerful r1.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#14 ·
not sure why people complain so much about the throttle being jerky, but i was riding an Aprilia RSv 1000 which is a V-twin and most of the torque is down low so the feel of it seems quite tame to me.

the engine breaking on the other hand, can be scary if fully unaware as i was when i first rode a R1 in my life when i purchased my 2012 R1. the sound the cross plane is amazing and by all means very strong at the top end and i havent even flashed my bike yet! see if they let you take a 2012 for a test ride and you'll be able to make a more educated decision, just my .02

#15 ·
I rode a 2011 RSV factory and I felt the throttle less jerky then the 2011 R1.

#20 ·
it had to be a rsv4, as the actual rsv last year made was in 2009, which is what i had... ;) i miss my aprilia!:cryin it was an awesome bike for sure!!!

but i really like this R1, so much stuff (aftermarket) available than the aprilia which is a plus since you can find adealer than can work on it in almost every city something that you cant do with an aprilia.

#17 ·
fwiw, we still have our '07 Project R1 and find it hard to want to trade for a Crosser. Got to ride a 2013 at the local Yami dealer and it didn't flip that " gotta have it" switch like we thought it might.
Holding breath for NEW R1..

That said, our local guys havent had any issues with their 09+ bikes...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.