Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

WTB: 43mm Fork Seal Driver

6K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  YzRacer212 
#1 ·
Need one for my fork seal job. Someone's got one lying around. Sell it to me.

#5 ·
Usually you don't even need a seal driver. The PVC pipe cut in half works fine or just anything to seat it gently.

A seal driver is nice to have, but once you use it a couple of times, it becomes clear that you could easily do the job without it also.

The Motion Pro "Ringer" driver is the one I have and it's really nice.

Ray

#6 ·
Usually you don't even need a seal driver. The PVC pipe cut in half works fine or just anything to seat it gently.

A seal driver is nice to have, but once you use it a couple of times, it becomes clear that you could easily do the job without it also.
:whtfu:

A seal driver is a MUST to ensure you don't damage anything. If you want to eventually ruin a seal or fork tube, do it this ^ way.

#8 ·
The fork seal goes on the inner tube first, not installed in the outer tube first.
Use some thin plastic (the bag the seals came in, perhaps) to cover the leading edge of the inner tube, this will protect the seal lips from getting damaged while you slide it on. Install inner tube in the outer tube. Clamp seal driver around inner tube. Use the seal driver to install the seal into the outer tube, then install the clip, then the dust seal. All three parts (dust seal, clip, and main seal) should be on the inner tube prior to installing the inner tube to the outer. Your way will work in a pinch and only if absolutely necessary, but it's not common practice. Especially when you already have the proper seal driver. Sorry to thread jack, carry on.

#10 ·
Use some thin plastic (the bag the seals came in, perhaps) to cover the leading edge of the inner tube, this will protect the seal lips from getting damaged while you slide it on.
And the plastic bag trick you mention above is definitely great advice - that works well to protect the seal.

I also use that same basic method to help protect the anodized pre-load adjuster in the video above when I took the fork cap off.

Great tip :thumbup

Ray

#19 ·
I am starting to think the common R&T forks for my model were all 43mm, even though I can't find a part number I saw that Kyle's has a set of 43mm that fit all Ohlins 43mm forks, sounds like a safe bet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.