Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

All my riding buddies dont ride anymore

6K views 101 replies 37 participants last post by  drjak 
#1 ·
Last one today sold his sport bike and won't be riding the street or track for a good while. Kinda sucks because he always went to Jennings with me every year . I enjoyed that because we don't get to hang out much . The others just stopped riding entirely and don't know if they ever will again. I guess I need to look for new riding buddies this spring.

#44 ·
Dude, just become a friendly local at wherever you want to ride. If you're fast enough, friendly enough, there enough, you'll meet new people. When my mates gave away riding one by one, I kept going up our local mountain and then week by week I meet new people and after about 6 months I was a local. Now my riding mates are the guys up the hill on Sunday...

#45 ·
I do that but the squid ratio has gotten really high here in the last couple years. All straight line folks and if you mention making a loop through the twisties they all have to suddenly be somewhere in a little bit. I mostly ride by myself anymore run into good riders now and then.

#100 · (Edited)
Lost all my riding buddies years ago. They all went to Harleys and other slow bikes and refuse to do trackdays now. Video I made for my one buddy sums it up....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhGDkIY4q2s
Funny vid., LOL

But like scuba diving, it's wise to have a riding partner. You may be as safe as safe can be but you cannot control everything. Always good to ride with someone for this reason.
That's a really good idea, something I've never really thought about.

Just hang up the street riding.....Track is more fun anyway, and there are ALWAYS guys to ride with at the track (or chase down) :fact
Not everyone can afford or has the time required to do the track. 39 years of street riding and have always wanted to try it though.

The twisties are too much of a blast to give up. No track fees, good corners, no motel, no missing a day of work, stop when you want, take your time, etc.
Riding at the PACE, everyone is safe, and radar for the popo. Nothing like putting leathers on early Sunday morning and setting off as the sun rises.

I love the track too but I've always skipped out on the "track only" bullshit. That is best for the folks that cannot reduce their pace in the twisties or control themselves.
Many good points of why I love the street!!!!!!!!

I'm old and mature enough to get a good buzz riding at 60% of what I'm comfortable at.
That's where I'm at.:bow

My issue is that I am too controlled on the street so I don't push it AT ALL. I have my Roadstar for street riding because that is more fun for me since pushing it on that is much slower than the R1.
Sold the 20,000.00 custom roadstar I built due to divorse, could only keep one and the "R" was not going anywere, the roadstar was so boring to ride after 19,000 miles (pics below), I did love the bike because I put my hart and soul into the build but having to chose what I wanted to ride the decision was easy.

Same here, it's fun as chat. Keep it below 7/10ths and you're g2g. Get a couple of older, wiser, and experienced riding buddies and man it's a blast. Home by 2pm, and the rest of the day to get chat done.

z06, yeah can't push nearly as hard but it's a small price to pay for being able to ride instead of the bike sitting in the garage all weekend. I just don't have the time to trailer off to the track every weekend or even every month. Twisties are 30 min away 365.
That's what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!:bow

Attachments

#72 · (Edited)
#73 ·
I've been through this scenario several times, on and off road over the past 20 years. The funny thing is I have always had a dirt bike, 4 wheeler, or street bike all along, sometimes all at the same time. It's always been the friends or family that gets out of it and I get stuck riding solo again. I've been hooked up with a local group for some great twisties riding for a few years, but it's getting harder and harder for our group to hook up too. Family schedules, different work schedules, etc make it rough. Most people that I know that still ride off road want to stop & drink more than ride. It only takes watching one drunken idiot damn near killing themselves to keep me clear of that situation again. I see sportbikes every day, but most are douchebag squids that would rather drink coffee at a kickstand party than actually ride some good twisties. Good riding buddies always come & go, on and off road. Sad, but true.

#77 ·
That's what happens when your buddies get older and don't have the true passion for it that you do. The same thing happened to me and I rode solo for about 20 years until I joined this forum. Now I know I can always find someone in the area that's up for a ride but my job is so demanding and I take care of my grandson so it's hard to commit to a group ride quite often. I sill ride mostly solo but I do get the opportunity to ride with Lucky 13 members from time to time. I will ride until I can no longer get my leg over the seat and I'm sure I'll always find someone to ride with if needed.:hellobye

#78 ·
I run into people a good bit of the time and we go riding from that section until they need to go break off somewhere. I just miss the times of 4-6 of us bombing the hell out of a road a few feet apart and the total flow that it created.

#80 ·
I know how that goes. I had a few friends/coworkers I'd ride with. They all got rid of their bikes, one never rides his, and if you're not riding together you kind of stop finding other reasons to hang out if >50% of the time was spent riding, anyway.

Luckily I do have one friend who is a solid pick. He's been riding since I was in like 2nd grade (and is 20 years older) or so. He's also faster than anyone else I've ridden with, so we push each other. Works out.

#81 ·
Mostly ride back n forth to work. That's it. Trying to get a buddy to get a bike. He wants a R1 but he has wife/kids. My gf is completely understanding of what I do and why. I tell her I'm going for a ride she says ok see you when you get back.. Told her the morning I got my bike that I wanted another and was going to look at it. She's ok with me buying myself stuff as long as everything else is taken care of first. And bonus she just finished LPN claasses today

#85 ·
Yea I think riding is a fad to some folks. You get your thrill and feel godly on a bike that can go 0-60 in 0.0000002 seconds. Then all it takes is a few good crashes and a couple of your friends losing their lives to bring you back down. I sold my bikes but I want to ride again. I went from being a knucklehead rider to someone that respects the machine and road and with that I've found a love for the freedom on my bike and on the road.

Cheers to new riding friends bud!

#99 ·
i rode with this older gentleman a few times
he rode an RC51
he was at the time 65 years young
when he would put the hammer down we would not see him till the next turn.
chilling smoking a cigar.
the group had a guy that raced semi pro and guys that rode all their life.
the age group was 40-50
i have to find them again .
all the young bloods are falling off. (not riding any more)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.