Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

condensation in lights

5K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Detrich 
#1 ·
Recently I noticed after a ride, that both my headlights are accumulation condensation in the corners. I hadnt taken the bike out for a decent amount of time in a few weeks. Rode for about an hour and there was a little condenstation in both headlights. I pulled out the bulbs and let it dry. Then I took out the bike yesterday for a few hours. Same thing in both corners of the headlights. No moisture had touched the bike since they had previously dried out. It seems weird that 2 headlight seals would go bad together. I was thinking of putting in angel eyes so I would have to re seal the lights anyway. Anyone else had both headlights start leaking together?

#5 ·
the thing that sucks is I just changed the fluid, Both of them. Bought a 55 gal drum of it for a buck a gallon. It was tough to change, I burned myself on the front differential pretty bad, could barely get it back into 4 wheel drive after that. So I guess no one has had both headlight seals go bad together.

#11 ·
Ah man, I had the same issue with my previous bike - FZ6. The only way I finally fixed it was to buy a whole new headlight. I tried everything: Hairdryer, heat from a light, compressed air, shouting at it and I even left a heater on it overnight.

Any moisture that gets in, stays in.

If you do get a new one, check that it seals properly.

Something else you might consider, is just living with it...

#12 · (Edited)
Just picked up my 2012 this past Saturday, and both my lenses fogged up after the 70 mile ride home. Weird. Both cleared the next day. I did ride with my high beams on the entire time.

Is there a Yamaha TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for this issue? If so, does anyone have the number, a copy, or a link to it? Thanks in advance...

I will have the dealer check it when I go in for 600 mile service I guess. Brand new bike, so I'm a bit perplexed too. And, I'm excited to join the Yamaha liter bike club finally.

:headscratch:

#13 ·
Update: rode around a bit last night but -without- the high beams on. And, lo & behold- no condensation in the headlights at all.

So, I'm thinking the condensation is being caused by running the high beams continuously then? That is so weird...

:headscratch:

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#15 ·
Heat up the gooey seals with a hairdryer, pull the two halves apart and smudge to goo back into areas where its lacking heat up again and re-seal pushing them tightly togeather while they cool.

#16 ·
Wouldn't it be easier just to seal the chamber with silicone?

#20 ·
I think it's weird that they only fog up when running high beams tho. Riding around in the damp/ cold night air with regular beams they didn't fog up at all.

What is different with the high beams that might cause this?

#21 ·
I think it's weird that they only fog up when running high beams tho. Riding around in the damp/ cold night air with regular beams they didn't fog up at all.

What is different with the high beams that might cause this?

5 watts difference between main beam and low beam. Go to the dealers and ask for low condensation bulbs if living in a humid climate HTH

#23 ·
Update: Rode around some more (40 miles approx) in cold, damp conditions. No fogging up. Used the high beams sporadically and no fogging up either. So I think to make them fog up I have to run them non-stop. But the R1 headlights are bright enough. and, I don't need to run high beams all the time like on the R6.

#24 ·
Ok after another night ride I ran the high beams persistently to test. And once again the condensation showed up.

I wonder if its the high beams itself causing the condensation or if its a leak in the headlight assembly?

:head scratch:

#25 ·
Went for a 30-45 min night ride last night and ran high beams. Weird. No condensation this time. Normally, would've seen some. Maybe it's the hot weather?

Dealer is still waiting on Yamaha factory to decide whether or not to authorize to replace my headlamp assembly.

#28 ·
Thanks Jake for finding this thread. I guess that replacing the assembly won't necessarily fix the issue. :(

I will continue monitoring and see what happens. Worse case is I could ask the dealer to remove those two caps, because they suggested pulling the assembly out to clean it anyways. In my case, it doesn't fog up on low beams- only when running highs persistently. Weird that It didn't happen this last time though. Bike has never seen water and the fogging always clears after an hour or so- so i know it's not from moisture already in there...

#27 ·
Had this happen on mine the last two rides, one in a monsoon and the other in heavy fog. Any other time they're completely dry so I can deal with it. Just lows or lows and highs both, doesn't matter. It gathers in the front corners by the nose of mine.

#29 ·
Update: Ok this is really weird, but the condensation problem seems to went away by it's own.

I've been riding the last couple times with the high beams on persistently. And oddly, not once did they fog up.

Wonder if maybe the issue was ambient humidity after all?

#30 ·
it is just condensation, happens to my R1, happened to my FZ6 when i had that... humidity goes to whatever is cold, so when you have the lights on, it attracts to the case which is cooler than the bulbs. since it is not a sealed case, it will always happen when there is humidity around. unless you start getting puddles or not being able to see, it is just something to deal with, but at least you can't see it while you are riding it, so get behind the headlights, on the seat, and the problem won't bother you anymore.

http://youtu.be/gS1RIyR6uW8

#31 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.