Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

R1-Forum Presents Dave Moss

14K views 77 replies 34 participants last post by  DanQ 
#1 · (Edited)
As many who know me are aware I have been in contact with Dave Moss for a few years, and he's been a fantastic sounding board for more complicated issues and questions. He and I recently discussed doing motorcycle model specific web casts on ustream, where he will present information on that model for approximately 30 minutes, and then we will have a 30 minute "Ask Dave" session where questions can be asked of him pertaining to the specific motorcycle.

We are kicking off a once-a-month, four month session with the Yamaha YZF-R1 next Wednesday, 7 November 2012. Future R1 dates will be posted here, and we will be following up with the YZF-R6 on 14 November 2012. After the four months (off season) we will discuss following up with a webcast once every three months so members will have the opportunity to learn more as their riding/track/race seasons progress.

This is a rare opportunity for riders, racers, and tuners to learn from an established and professional source in our community. I've been fortunate enough to build a rapport with Dave Moss and I've learned far more from him in a short call or email than I could ever pick up in several days of track riding. I know we will have a strong turnout for this!

Dave will be presenting info on the following to start:

Show # 1 on the current generation R1 (20-25 minutes presentation), 30 minutes of Q&A

STREET USE
- information on fork springs
- information on shock spring
- information on setting sag (solo and 2 up)
- chassis balance with rebound damping
- setting compression damping
- information on chain slack

General concepts explained with appropriate demonstrations of setting sag, hydraulics and chain slack.

Q&A will be open to all viewers

Anyone wanting to ask a question of Dave Moss, please post the question in this thread!

Upon feedback and participation, we will immediately discuss further shows with the R1-Forum and R6-Forum.

This post will be updated with details and the url for the Ustream session. This is short notice, but I know we will enjoy some first class discussions with Dave Moss!

The Ustream channel for this will be:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/r1-forum-presents-dave-moss

See less See more
#5 ·
Nice! - I met Dave this year at Buttonwillow and after talking to him went to his shop in NorCal and had him re-valve the shock and change the fork springs. Had a trackday the following Monday and by the third session he had it all dialed in, Huge improvement, no more pitching fore/aft.

Probably the best $$$ I have spent on the bike to date.

#10 ·
:thumbup

Unfortunately, I have prior plans. Hopefully this can be podcasted/recorded for later viewing by those whom missed it.

#16 ·
I'm hoping to hear from Dave before or after the testing that will take place tomorrow at 11 AM, but I thing we are looking at 6 PM on Wednesday. Since Dave is on the west coast I have to verify if he was talking EST or PST. But I'll be updating this thread as soon as I have the details. Hope you can join us!

#17 ·
I emailed Dan today that all the testing at rehearsal went perfectly. The show will start at 6pm Pacific standard time and run for an hour. Topics are listed by Dan and audience questions are encouraged. Please post your questions here (I'll download them tomorrow) and I'll try to answer as many as I can during the 40 minute Q&A during the show.

We are also looking for feedback after the show, so please let us know what you liked and what information was missed that you may like to see in other shows. Talking of that - let us know if you want more of them as I can go into all kinds of specifics about individual topics.

The goal is to help as many riders as possible worldwide have a much safer handling R1 so they can enjoy it more and get a lot better handling from it allowing them to increase their skill levels.

Spread the word because everyone benefits from these events!

#22 ·
Awesome! Thanks to both you and Dan for putting this together.

Here's a question for you - is there anything bad about running pre-load completely maxed out? I've setup my street-going 2009 R1 and I'm currently riding it with 37mm sag in the front and 32mm in the rear and I think I've got the rebound pretty close, but I had to max out the front pre-load to get it where it is.

Is this bad? Are the sag numbers a reasonable place to be?

#19 ·
This sounds really cool and I cannot wait to see how it goes. Hopefully in the future you can also look into the option of having a live chat room while the show is "on air".

#25 ·
Anyone wanting to ask a question of Dave Moss, please post the question in this thread!
I've got a hundred or so, but these will suffice for this venue.

1. Oil temperature concerns when there is a 30-50 degree temperature swing in the forks. Such as the amount of adjustment needed to compensate from morning warmup to the last race of the day. Especially when there is a mixed bag of valves and manufacturers. Would the 20mm Traxxion cart's stand the temp swing better than the 25mm or 30mm Nix kits? Just a generalization and comparison if you would please. Also, what can we do to mitigate these issues? What can exacerbate the issue?

2. Can you explain how you setup the steering dampers on the race bikes you tune? Everyone likes a different feel, but what are the mechanics involved in the proper adjustment. Is there such a thing as the perfect damper setup and how will you know when it's right. Not much info out there on this subject so I wanted to get the dirt out there for the membership.

3. Adaptive technology shocks and forks in the future. I few manufacturers have come out with adaptive technology on dampers and now Ducati has the electronic shock dampening, so what will the future hold? Aftermarket adaptive tech and gas charged internals? How far can we ride the tech wagon before the cost outweighs the benefit?

#26 ·
Nice work on the questions, and thanks for signing in Dave!

Keep posting up the questions for the show tomorrow. I know I always have a ton of them, but I'm saving them for later in the event someone posts up the same topic.

This session with Dave is going to be street riding. As soon as we complete this one done we will discuss what to do for the next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.