HOW TO: Motorcycle Suspension Setup 101 - Page 99 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

How To's Please post your detailed How To's threads in here. They'll be of big help to owners of the R1.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #1961
black89
I eat my R1

Bikes: 00 R1 Red stolen R.I.P. 05 R1 Blue
I tried searching but couldn't fine a baseline front/rear ride height, trail, rake, swingarm angle to shoot for on the 04-05 R1. I have Ohlins 20mm kit in front racetech spring and valves with the collar in the rear. 200/55 rear UK Dunlops Medium

I have the forks flush with the triple and my problem is with 38mm front hot rider sag I can't lean the bike over and when I can it feels like it's going to fall. I changed from 7 lines showing to 6 lines showing on the front preload and it helped out a ton but felt stiff. Is it common to use fork extenders on these bikes? I can't lower the stock rear shock.

I was excited the bike was working awesome at JGP after adding some rear compression to keep it from running wide on corner exit. Then I took it to Homestead that has lots of hard trail braking and it wouldn't turn for shit. I added 3 clicks rebound and two clicks compression in front which each seemed to help and then the preload which made a bigger difference. I think it's a geometry issue.
black89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #1962
LudjakR1
Top Gun

Bikes: 08 R1 Raven modded, 04 R1 LOADED
I think i will go with race tech springs and race tech shock spring 1.0kg. Do you guys think that will be ok for my riding level once tuned?

Sig by Petrol
LudjakR1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #1963
r1ian
Have you hugged your R1 today?

Bikes: '99 R1, '00+ RC51(track), '02 Monster 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by black89 View Post
I tried searching but couldn't fine a baseline front/rear ride height, trail, rake, swingarm angle to shoot for on the 04-05 R1. I have Ohlins 20mm kit in front racetech spring and valves with the collar in the rear. 200/55 rear UK Dunlops Medium

I have the forks flush with the triple and my problem is with 38mm front hot rider sag I can't lean the bike over and when I can it feels like it's going to fall. I changed from 7 lines showing to 6 lines showing on the front preload and it helped out a ton but felt stiff. Is it common to use fork extenders on these bikes? I can't lower the stock rear shock.

I was excited the bike was working awesome at JGP after adding some rear compression to keep it from running wide on corner exit. Then I took it to Homestead that has lots of hard trail braking and it wouldn't turn for shit. I added 3 clicks rebound and two clicks compression in front which each seemed to help and then the preload which made a bigger difference. I think it's a geometry issue.
I have been having problems getting my R1 to turn in ever since I put a 200/55 tire on. It handled perfectly when I had a 190 on it.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #1964
graphitegripper
I eat my R1

Bikes: Dark Silver 07 R1
subscribed
Old 10-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #1965
black89
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1ian View Post
I have been having problems getting my R1 to turn in ever since I put a 200/55 tire on. It handled perfectly when I had a 190 on it.
I'm going to measure my geometry the best I can this weekend and I'll report back. At least then I can start trying stuff and just go with what feels good. I do know before I added preload the front was so unstable, bad headshake out of every corner exit when on the gas hard and it would wobble down the straights at high speed.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #1966
Kangaroo
para bellum

try going back to a 190/55? The 200/50 is a tall tire.

Sig courtesy of SpidermanSS 9-15-09

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
Kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #1967
Kangaroo
para bellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudjakR1 View Post
I think i will go with race tech springs and race tech shock spring 1.0kg. Do you guys think that will be ok for my riding level once tuned?

simple but good upgrade for your weight.

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
Old 10-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #1968
DanQ
Yamaha blue, in any color.

Bikes: 91 FZR1000, 04 YZF-R1, 05 V-Max 0098/2000, 04 Warrior, 05 R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo View Post
try going back to a 190/55? The 200/50 is a tall tire.
Or raise the rear and front. Been seeing a lot of this since the tires have gotten bigger again. There is a gain of a few mm in ride height at the rear. This flattens the swingarm and changes the turning characteristics. Raising the rear alone will help some, but it will leave the front steeper than needed. So many people are having fork extensions put on and increasing the front to match the rear. There will be a minor increase in trail, but you'll have a better chance of recovering the geometry and getting the bike steering again.

Signature by SpidermanSS. Thanks Shane!
Dan
R1-016 'Venom' Squadron Member
CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 Vmax 20th Anniversary 98 of 2000
04 Road Star Warrior

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
DanQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #1969
Kangaroo
para bellum

Some people, like Jason, like a steep (AKA nervous, shakey) front end. Get it wrong and you'll be high-sided into next week.

Weird to hear that the front is nervous but the bike doesn't want to turn. Exactly what Dan is saying about flattened swingarm angle. Mine is the cheapest solution over buying fork extensions and shock shims.

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
Old 10-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #1970
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Bikes: 94 VMax, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
Or raise the rear and front. Been seeing a lot of this since the tires have gotten bigger again. There is a gain of a few mm in ride height at the rear. This flattens the swingarm and changes the turning characteristics. Raising the rear alone will help some, but it will leave the front steeper than needed. So many people are having fork extensions put on and increasing the front to match the rear. There will be a minor increase in trail, but you'll have a better chance of recovering the geometry and getting the bike steering again.
Not to mention weight distribution when you add distance from the front axle to the balance point. Some bikes will really feel sluggish when you do so.

What exact tires did you change to and from what?

Jittery front that doesn't turn sounds like too much rake and/or compression or spring, causing a pogo issue. I could be wrong, but the bike won't turn and will feel jittery if you're packing the front with a steep angle of rake. Adding trail to the mess would (IMO) only cause the front to get a little more vague and possibly less traction, more input strength needed as well.

It really sounds like a few issues, not just one. Weight distribution, rake angle, trail and spring/dampening are all changed when you put a 200 series on the bike. Heck, just changing manufacturers can cause issues, let alone sizes.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #1971
black89
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo View Post
Some people, like Jason, like a steep (AKA nervous, shakey) front end. Get it wrong and you'll be high-sided into next week.

Weird to hear that the front is nervous but the bike doesn't want to turn. Exactly what Dan is saying about flattened swingarm angle. Mine is the cheapest solution over buying fork extensions and shock shims.
yes it is tall the 200/55 is 656mm tall and I am on a US front because they were out of the UK fronts and the US fronts are 1mm shorter, 604 vs 605 so that might be compounding the problem.

I should have been more detailed when I said hard to turn, better explanation is that the bike "collapses" mid corner, I can't lean it over very far without having to hold it up.

I think I would like to try raising the front, where do you guys get fork extenders from? I really like the side grip of the 200/55, I like the life I get out of them even more.

Edit: I have Ohlins springs for my weight and a racetech rear, GMD did the work for me and I change the oil every 5-6 weekends.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #1972
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by black89 View Post
yes it is tall the 200/55 is 656mm tall and I am on a US front because they were out of the UK fronts and the US fronts are 1mm shorter, 604 vs 605 so that might be compounding the problem.

I should have been more detailed when I said hard to turn, better explanation is that the bike "collapses" mid corner, I can't lean it over very far without having to hold it up.

I think I would like to try raising the front, where do you guys get fork extenders from? I really like the side grip of the 200/55, I like the life I get out of them even more.

Edit: I have Ohlins springs for my weight and a racetech rear, GMD did the work for me and I change the oil every 5-6 weekends.
Lifting the front will cure most of the issue, you may lose a little grip and feel when you move the axle away from the balance point, taking a little weight off the tire and adding trail.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #1973
DanQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
Not to mention weight distribution when you add distance from the front axle to the balance point. Some bikes will really feel sluggish when you do so.

What exact tires did you change to and from what?

Jittery front that doesn't turn sounds like too much rake and/or compression or spring, causing a pogo issue. I could be wrong, but the bike won't turn and will feel jittery if you're packing the front with a steep angle of rake. Adding trail to the mess would (IMO) only cause the front to get a little more vague and possibly less traction, more input strength needed as well.

It really sounds like a few issues, not just one. Weight distribution, rake angle, trail and spring/dampening are all changed when you put a 200 series on the bike. Heck, just changing manufacturers can cause issues, let alone sizes.
I haven't personally changed tires or sizes in a while, but I see a bunch of bikes each year where folks are trying out everything and I have to try to settle the demons. It's fun.

I've almost completely secured an opportunity where we can converse with an expert that I frequently converse with on chassis matters. We are discussing the agenda and a few details, but I promise it's going to be a lot of fun (you probably know who I'm talking about). I'm waiting to hear back from him and then I'll put up a thread on the topic and link it here. It's going to be a live/webcast deal where we can communicate with him, gain some information and then have question and answer time with him over the next few months specifically on the R1 (or R6 at a different time).

Stay subscribed... I'll link it here. I'm really excited about this opportunity.

Dan
CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
04 Road Star Warrior

Old 10-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #1974
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Nice Dan!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #1975
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets

Bikes: 05 Raven #8734, 2011 S1000RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
I haven't personally changed tires or sizes in a while, but I see a bunch of bikes each year where folks are trying out everything and I have to try to settle the demons. It's fun.

I've almost completely secured an opportunity where we can converse with an expert that I frequently converse with on chassis matters. We are discussing the agenda and a few details, but I promise it's going to be a lot of fun (you probably know who I'm talking about). I'm waiting to hear back from him and then I'll put up a thread on the topic and link it here. It's going to be a live/webcast deal where we can communicate with him, gain some information and then have question and answer time with him over the next few months specifically on the R1 (or R6 at a different time).

Stay subscribed... I'll link it here. I'm really excited about this opportunity.
Well that's going the extra mile! I'm sure he has a million people that would like his time, thanks for your efforts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaztls View Post
I just want to stroke it all the time. (For you BSR )
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #1976
DanQ

Here we go folks, please look into this.

The R1-Forum Presents Dave Moss.

Dan
CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
04 Road Star Warrior

Old 11-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #1977
greenstreak9205
look for special phrase here

Bikes: That signature bike
So I've got a couple questions

I ride an 09 r1 and it's still rockin untouched forks and shock...w/19k miles I guess I'll finally do myself a service and addres that issue I started doing track days last year (did 3 days) and kinda got hooked. I managed to squeeze in 13 this year and have picked up the pace quite a bit. As I've picked up the pace, and consequently stacked on the miles, I found the limits I have with the stock set-up. I figure since I've got to at least rebuild the suspension, I might as well upgrade it some. Looking for a low-buck track orientated set up. I dont want it to break the bank like full Ohlins would. I run OK "A" times in the orgs I run. Last 2 events I ran were Nola and Barber this year with fastest/avg times of 1:51/1:53 & 1:31/1:33, respectively, just to give an idea of pace. I weigh about 155-160 w/out gear. Again, I don't have a ton to spend but kno I'd benifit from some simple well thought out parts. It's either that or just replace seals and oil

Thoughts or ideas

The Man, The Legend Uncle P

Phantom Squadron CO Check Out Phantom Squadron Here
greenstreak9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #1978
DanQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak9205 View Post

I ride an 09 r1 and it's still rockin untouched forks and shock...w/19k miles I guess I'll finally do myself a service and addres that issue I started doing track days last year (did 3 days) and kinda got hooked. I managed to squeeze in 13 this year and have picked up the pace quite a bit. As I've picked up the pace, and consequently stacked on the miles, I found the limits I have with the stock set-up. I figure since I've got to at least rebuild the suspension, I might as well upgrade it some. Looking for a low-buck track orientated set up. I dont want it to break the bank like full Ohlins would. I run OK "A" times in the orgs I run. Last 2 events I ran were Nola and Barber this year with fastest/avg times of 1:51/1:53 & 1:31/1:33, respectively, just to give an idea of pace. I weigh about 155-160 w/out gear. Again, I don't have a ton to spend but kno I'd benifit from some simple well thought out parts. It's either that or just replace seals and oil

Thoughts or ideas
What is the bike not doing well for you? Your weight is in a range that the bike should work decent for. So it's mostly dictated by sag and what the bike is doing. But since you need new fluids etc, you may as well look at what else can be done while the labor is being performed.

So, what are your sag numbers?

What are your dampers set at? Are you in the middle of the range?

Dan
CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
04 Road Star Warrior

Old 11-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #1979
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak9205 View Post

Thoughts or ideas
Actually going through this exact issue right now. Ive got the same basic setup, stock suspension with 27k miles. Started doing track days (6 this year) and after talking to Dan for an hour on the phone, we decided to do a freshen up on the suspension. The bike still sags correctly, so Dan felt some fresh oil and seals/bushings/ rear shock service would suffice until consistency comes into play.

You may be slightly more advanced than me PJ, but I think the best bang for the buck would be see if the suspension sags correctly for you, have a regualr refresh on everything done (extremely reasonably priced, I won't give anything out, but it's cheap) and do another season until you override the limits of the suspension.

This was Dans suggestion to me

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #1980
greenstreak9205
look for special phrase here

Bikes: That signature bike
I'll have to recheck the numbers, but I had Meister set it all up for me earlier this year. As for what it isn't doing...it bottoms out periodically. Under hard breaking it dives pretty hard starts to compromise some stability when it bottoms. I've upped the compression a bit, but I honestly can't recall how many clicks in or out I am. Another issue I'm having is I can't seem to get it to hook up coming out of a corner very well. That I'm sure is just a set-up concern. Last problem I'm having, whick I'm almost positive is a set up issue, is I can't seem to get it to turn in very well

Edited to add; it likes to skip across mid corner bumps and gets unsettled. But idk if that's something you can really "fix"

The Man, The Legend Uncle P

Phantom Squadron CO Check Out Phantom Squadron Here

Last edited by greenstreak9205; 11-22-2012 at 09:50 PM.
greenstreak9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement