Dymag Carbon Fibre Wheels – anyone have positive experiences? - Page 3 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

Old 08-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #41
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benocehcap View Post
Its in Stock
http://www.spieglerusa.com/brakes/quick-disconnect.html

you said you never clean! liar
I said I clean the wheels when I change tires...which was after 3 days (2 full riding) this last time

I do keep the calipers clean....without dust seals you have to

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #42
polakw/aR1
Violence of action.

Bikes: Blue 5VY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil1 View Post
A little contradictory?
I thought it was funny and I was a little confused but still thought it was funny.

Sig by Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEN Patton
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
polakw/aR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #43
greenstreak9205
look for special phrase here

Bikes: That signature bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
Chances of those getting sold are next to none....sorry man
You'll just give them to me

The Man, The Legend Uncle P

Phantom Squadron CO Check Out Phantom Squadron Here
greenstreak9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #44
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak9205 View Post
You'll just give them to me

Old 08-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #45
King Kenny
I like Beer

Bikes: K6 & K8 Gix Thou, 954 & R6
Have done a bit more research & have basically come down to the conclusion that I’m going to buy the Dymag’s (unless I can be convinced otherwise by science/cash).

I did up a small spreadsheet below from information I have gotten from the net & also from Dymag via email. Although it is not an independently verified test I can at least see that the BST & Dymag carbon fibre/composite wheels are pretty comparable in both static weight & MOI (Moment of inertia – the BIG performance increase). Without a 3rd party testing these wheels together like for like with sprockets, bearings, valves, cush-drives, etc. all fitted you will never know for sure. Anybody is welcome to verify my figures or refute them if necessary!

Wheel weight data taken from here.... http://www.oppracing.com/category/30...carbon-wheels/

The Dymags CA5’s are $3000 to my door including shipping & sales tax – they have a 30% Summer Sale currently. Even with a 10% discount currently with BST’s that would be $3700 to my door from one of the site supporter’s websites. Decision made there really - $700 has a lot of pulling power & will get me a Brembo master cylinder, & a Woolich Racing Log Box.

Besides the price the looks & engineering philosophy of the wheels are pretty similar too with both using a pentagonal hollow spoke design so that is obviously a proven solution to CF wheels. The BST’s look alot more elegant than the chunky spoked Dymags but the Dymag do look stronger than the BST’s especially laterally where I have seen a few internet horror pics of BST rims minus their spokes/hubs. Not knocking BST as a product as they obviously perform fantastically when the wheels are pointing the the right direction but they do seem somewhat fragile when shock loaded laterally. The Dymags have chunkier spokes with a far bigger merging connection to the rims which should be stronger than what the BST’s provide in every force direction. Plus they apparently use Kevlar strips in the moulding process between the rim & spoke to ensure the spokes can never detach from the rims in the event of a catastrophic failure – nice. Also Dymag have been supplying wheels to IOM TT bikes for decades which is probably the harshest test bed for any wheel/suspension system around. They obviously know how to make a strong, light & durable wheel & this is comforting also.

Time to put my money where my mouth is...

BST

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=59
See this thread for crash info http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=59 Looks pretty innocuous except for the BST carnage. Note: his beautiful (& irreplaceable at the moment) CMC carbon/ceramic rotors are also thrashed & probably would not be if the wheel didn't fail so spectacularly. Check out the next failure from the same thread...

DYMAG CA5

Last edited by King Kenny; 08-20-2012 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Extra pics & formatting
King Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #46
King Kenny
I like Beer

Good side by side comparison of the spoke/wheel design...

Old 08-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #47
SakiBomb
Herro!

Bikes: 05 R1
Holy Shyt @ the carnage pics
SakiBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:43 AM   #48
ebags
1290!

Bikes: KTM SuperDuke 1290R & Aprilia SMV750 Dorsoduro Factory
Impressive home work lol. Go with Dymag... everyone has BST's now to the point I could almost be convinced they are OEM.

PETROLSPICE ORIGINALS®

ebags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #49
Redgecko
I'm an Englishman in WI.

Bikes: 06 R1 UE
BST are actually only about $317 more expensive if you take the extra 1.28lbs saving into account on a dollar/weight saving calculation

Redgecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #50
King Kenny
I like Beer

Dymag CA5’s ordered – £1687 + £130 delivery (insured) to Australia. £500 saving from normal price.

Watch this space for feedback.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #51
Benocehcap
Sonic Boom!

Bikes: 2001 Yamaha R1
BST's sucks
Old 09-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #52
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgecko View Post
BST are actually only about $317 more expensive if you take the extra 1.28lbs saving into account on a dollar/weight saving calculation

When i looked the dymags were the same weight as BST claimed, but BST would never send application specific data.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #53
King Kenny
I like Beer

From my brief research the BST’s & Dymags weights & MOI are so similar on paper that it’s not worth talking about them further without an independent 3rd party test.

For me anyways it seem like we’re splitting hairs & both offer massive saving on static weight & MOI compared to stock wheels. My preference for costs & safety/durability was the deciding factor more so that ultimate performance figures.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #54
King Kenny
I like Beer

Just had to fork out $330 to customs – love that part. Should get the wheels tomorrow so from FedEx.

All in all it will come in under $3200 AUD delivered which is a little bit more than I expected but $400 of that can be attributed to Customs Duties & Paypal/Bank/Currency change fees. BST’s would be around the $4000 mark at a minimum I reckon....

================================================== ================================================== ======================

Well I just got a call from FedEx & got my parcel delivered

They arrived well packaged & all in one piece I am pretty happy. I weighed the wheels on my bathroom scales (digital) & got 2.6kg for front (minus brake disks & wheel spacers – not included in package) & 4.9kg for the rear (minus brake disk) so that’s exactly as Dymag have quoted which is good to see. The Carbon Fibre seems unbelievably strong & stiff for its weight. It almost doesn’t seems real & it’s obviously not cold to touch like metal – weird. The bearings are all included in both wheels & the front hub section appears to be glued to the CF spoke/rim section. The wheel-spoke joints look very strong with a lot of material at this critical junction. From handling the wheels they don’t seem a whole lot lighter than stock wheels to me (although the scales says otherwise) but you can feel the weight concentrated to the hubs with the bearings & sprocket/brake disk carriers. The finish is a little industrial at close inspection though with small rough section, visible joints & visible sections of glue. Definitely not as bling as the BST’s but that has no bearing to me – function over form in my case. Also got right angle valve stems fitted which help no end when inflating the tyres. Didnt go with ceramic bearings because they were a $500 upgrade but maybe will in the future if the price comes down significantly.

Will try fit over a set of tyres over the weekend & get a test ride in. Unfortunately I currently have Michelin Pilot Road 3’s fitted which are a heavy tyre so that will dull the full effect of the carbon wheels somewhat (but will still obviously be a big difference compared to the stock wheel with the same tyre). Am sure these babies would really shine with a light tyre like a Michelin Pilot Pure or a race/slick tyre!

BTW: I assume that the Suzuki GSXR1000 K8 wheel is fully interchangeable with the K6 model (can’t imagine why they wouldn’t be) as I don’t have the K8 on the road yet so need to test the wheels on the K6 first.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #55
greenstreak9205

What brand valve stems did you go with and what size? I kno Z06 had an issue getting his set to seal, so he just ever kept them on

Old 11-02-2012, 05:15 AM   #56
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Quote:
What brand valve stems did you go with and what size? I kno Z06 had an issue getting his set to seal, so he just ever kept them on

I really want a set of angled valve stems that work

Old 11-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #57
King Kenny
I like Beer

Just realised that my K6 uses the standard 530 chain & the K8 has a 520 chain which I matched the Dymag Talon sprocket to. Drat & Doh!!

Won't be in a position to give any feedback for a while boys as the sprockets aren't interchangeable on the Dymags (different bolting pattern). Will have to get my K8 on the road pronto so...

Will ask Mr. Dymag about the valve stems - what brand, etc.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #58
greenstreak9205

Z06 already emailed dymag about it. They can't find any that will work. However, you can send them the wheels and they will drill out the exist hole, fit an insert and install a set of their valve stems He'll poke in here and post up the email. I deleted it already

Old 11-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #59
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Quote:
Z06 already emailed dymag about it. They can't find any that will work. However, you can send them the wheels and they will drill out the exist hole, fit an insert and install a set of their valve stems He'll poke in here and post up the email. I deleted it already
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymag
Hi Christopher We have not found any angled valves that have a long enough stem to go through the Carbon wheels and seal correctly without modifications , the only way of fitting angled valves is for us to drill the valve hole much bigger and install some inserts allowing the angled valves to sit on a flat surface both sides of the rim, if you wish to send us your wheels we will happily do this work FOC for you to use the angled valves supplied by us. Best Regards
shipping across the pond isn't cheap

Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #60
King Kenny
I like Beer

Just back a week from a month’s Xmas vacation & finally managed to get the Dymags Carbon Fibre CA5’s on the bike – sorry for the wait Guys! The 530 sprocket I needed only arrived a few days before I left on vacation so I had no time to do it before Xmas...

The wheels look great on the bike. Don’t mind the road dirt grime on my K6 – she gets used daily & loves it. There is no indication of what way to fit the front wheel so I hope I have done it correctly if it even matter – will have to confirm with Dymag on this. It looks ‘right’ anyways... Transferring over the brakes disks & changing the rear sprocket was as simple as would be on stock wheels & everything fitted beautifully. The fit/finish is not as elegant as the stock wheel at the hub as these hubs are no doubt generic to allow them to work with many bikes. I test fitted the rims only before changing the tyres to see if anything was missing/wrong but everything seemed fine so I proceeded to the tyres.

The fitting process was astonishingly simple. The tyre literally slipped on also by hand with almost no mechanical effort besides a bit of coaxing by 2 mechanical levers (I fit my tyres with a manual break breaker tool & manual static wheel balancer). With the tyres sufficiently lubed up the tyre bead actually pushed past the rim when I was trying to slip the 2nd bead over the rim – I actually thought that maybe the Dymag rims where too small & I may have been delivered a set of 16.5inch wheels! This was also with a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3’s which are a lot stiffer than Turns out its a design feature of these wheels with an extra deep wheel well that allows the bead to sit well recessed into the opposite side of the one you are trying to lever over the rim. Balancing was a piece of cake too with a nice flat surface to place my adhesive weights. I never checked to see if the wheels where statically balanced before I fitted the tyres though – my bad. Am sure they’re pretty good though as I had to add a similar amount a weights compared to the stock wheels I transferred my tyres off. The rear wheel comes with captive bearing which require not spacers so is a doddle to fit but the front still needs the throttle side spacer to work in conjunction with the axle shoulder so it a bit harder to fit than normal. This is because neither wheel comes with the stock style bearing dust seals so there’s nothing to hold this spacer in place when fitting the wheel. Also I have my reservation about how much dust & grime will get at the Dymag bearings too – we shall see later.

As far as riding impressions go I have only ridden 15km to work at under 100km so far so these are very early impressions only. The effort to flick from side to side is noticeably reduced as is turn in speed compared to before. The bike is a bit fidgety on the highway now from the reduced stability given from the higher inertia stock wheels so will take a bit of riding recalibration to be able to keep it on a steady course. The suspension seems to feel a bit more supple too no doubt a product of having a significant amount less unsprung mass to deal with. The bike seems to get off the line a little quicker, easier & with less throttle too & the braking seems slightly better as if the front is pushing a little bit less. No idea about wheelie prone-ness yet or stability in corners but that will come as I plan to do a little ride though a tight & twisty parklands area on the way home. The bearing feel smooth also & the wheels feel totally solid – will see how this translates at higher speeds later.

That’s all for now guys – will have more info in a few days....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement