Who has kids and how do you feel about them riding a street bike? : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

Old 11-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Blue Streak
I've fallen and I can't get up

Bikes: 2000 Yamaha R1
Who has kids and how do you feel about them riding a street bike?

I am not asking about riding a dirt bike or track bike.

If your kid turns 16 (boy or girl) and wants to ride a street bike how would you "feel" about it what would you say.

There is a diff betwen thinking and feeling.

I don't really relish the idea of my kids riding on the street because chances are they will get hit by a cager at some point in time ( I sure have).

I think I would tell them OK but insist they go to track first and ride with me on street for first x amount of time to watch and learn...hopefully my wife says no way in hell while they are living under our roof

If you don't have kids feel free to chime in but I think those who do have kids have a much better perspective...

My son just became a teenager and my daughter is 11. I think my girl likes bikes better than my boy......
Blue Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
ss55539
Banned

Bikes: '11 FLHX, 09 YFZ450R, 07 YZ450F, 06 R1 50th
My kids aren't anywhere near that age yet but I think alot will depend on their maturity level. I don't have a problem with it as long as theyre responsible enough
ss55539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
SPanega SS
The "Wog" and only

Bikes: Less than I want
Hahaha. My daughter just turned 10, my son is 5. She's into bikes more then him, always wanting to help turn wrenches with me. I agree with you in that... they WILL learn proper technique and how to get the "feel" for traffic. It does scare me a bit but, I can't see myself forbidding it when they know how much daddy loves to ride.

Sig courtesy of my brotha from down unda PetrolSpice
SPanega SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
txbitt
Hook'em Horns

Bikes: 2007 R1
When my daughter reaches that age(7 month old now). No Fvcking way!!!! lol
Nor, is she getting on the back of one(even scarier thought!)
Fvck, I am scared to street ride anymore. In fact, I am on the verge, of making My R1 a track whore only!

Signature courtesy of Petrol Spice

Last edited by txbitt; 11-02-2012 at 05:46 PM.
txbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
Unlucky
I eat my R1

Bikes: Red 07 R1
I'm 26 - no kids but, my parents out me on a Yamaha Tera-pro when I was 5. Had dirt bikes, quads, go karts growing up. Got my M endorsement when I was 16. Been on a street bike on/ off since. Really depends on your and your spouses choice along with the kids themselves. If either of you don't feel they are ready. Then that's your decision as a parent... To watch out for your children. My parents looked at it as they wouldn't have to mow the lawn and could put me to work
Unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
DouglasyzfR1
Sir Douglas

Bikes: 03 R6- Bike Heaven 03 R1- Sold 08 R1- Current
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbitt View Post
When my daughter reaches that age(7 month old now). No Fvcking way!!!! lol
Nor, is she getting on the back of one(even scarier thought!)
I have a 2 year old daughter and agree 100%!!! Especially with the way A**holes like me ride. Lol
Old 11-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
BrnEyzR1
fast toys arent just 4 boys

Bikes: '10 Ducati 1198S Corse / '07 R1--RIP Jack
My daughter only likes riding dirt right now.
She rides on the back of my street bike once in awhile, but shows no interest on riding her own. But she does always want me to go faster.

~ Guy Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
It's my fault.

Miss you Pierre
Much love Andre
BrnEyzR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
Stonewall
ROWDY

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
No kids, But I was told by my Mom and Dad when I asked for a motorcycle when I was 10 that They would not buy me something that I could kill myself on. As long as I lived under they're roof I was not to have one. After I got on my own and got my first bike, when they found out about it I thought I was going to be banned from the family! But now Dad watches the Moto GP races with me whenever It's on. If I had children I think I would be the same way!. Nothing could be worse than to have the police come to the door and tell you that John or Nancy had a head on with a eighteen wheeler!.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:51 AM   #9
Petrol_Spice
Seņor Citizen

Bikes: KTM RC8(S1) KTM 990 SDR
If mine start to show a real interest in it, I'll get them a dirt bike then have them taught to ride a street bike properly. Then it's up to fate.

Tact was created by those lacking the mental dexterity for sarcasm. ~ Petrol_Spice

Petrol_Spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:04 AM   #10
graphitegripper
I eat my R1

Bikes: Dark Silver 07 R1
I got a long way to go but kids anymore can't miss out on what's going on with social media anymore that's all ill need is for my daughter to ride being safe and then someone hits her while sending off a f@king tweet, and risk hurting my little girl. No thanks. If she wants to ride ill get her a ninja 250 and she can ride with me on my Sunday rides. No just riding around aimlessly because she is bored.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
T.C.
Bourbon is my blood

Bikes: 2002 R1, 1980 FLH Harley, 1993 Suzuki Rmx 250, 1979 CB900f(modified), 1980 Kawasaki KX125
I'll start off by saying, before you should be able to get a ticket to drive a car, you should have to log x amount of miles/time on a bike on the road first. (if physically able)
If this was the case I wouldn't have a problem.
But as things are now, I would only let them ride with me until I feel they're able to make the same judgements I make.
And yes I have 3 kids. (all girls & only two will be able to ride/drive)

Sig by Uncle P.

Cal meh anj alcholic all yoo want. I will not memba in the morning, or the next day.

My bike thread.. http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343172
T.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
txr1rob
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Bikes: 50th annv R1
My boy,turns seventeen in couple of weeks, and I don't want him to ride a street bike. However I will support his decision to ride as soon as he can afford the ins. on his own. Him being a young driver and a full time student he wont be able to afford ins. anytime soon. With my love of two wheels I can't justify denying him or any one else the chance to ride.
txr1rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
repoman
Tested +; Motorcycle Fever

Bikes: y2k R1, 2006 KTM SMC, 2006 CRF 250x
My oldest boy is 19, and he brought up getting a street bike once before leaving for college. I told him I'd buy him a Suzuki DRZ400 Supermoto, and that he would be required to ride it on a track exclusively until I felt he was skilled enough to ride on the street. So far, he hasn't taken me up on the offer because he is really busy. Same will go for my daughter (17) and youngest (14).

I don't believe in being a hypocrite, but I also want to keep them alive. Life has risks, but you can manage those risks, and mitigate them if you are smart, and skilled.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #14
Ronin R1
Haciendo el trabajo de Dios

Bikes: 98 R1, 02 R1, 03 KTM 525 Motard, 04 YZ450, 05 ZX-636, 05 HD Street Glide, 07 Gixxer 750
My daughter is 14 and already wants one of my bikes... I'm looking into getting her a bigger dirtbike and maybe a cbr250r, I don't know if my 12 year old boy is as interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Streak View Post
I am not asking about riding a dirt bike or track bike.

If your kid turns 16 (boy or girl) and wants to ride a street bike how would you "feel" about it what would you say.

There is a diff betwen thinking and feeling.

I don't really relish the idea of my kids riding on the street because chances are they will get hit by a cager at some point in time ( I sure have).

I think I would tell them OK but insist they go to track first and ride with me on street for first x amount of time to watch and learn...hopefully my wife says no way in hell while they are living under our roof

If you don't have kids feel free to chime in but I think those who do have kids have a much better perspective...

My son just became a teenager and my daughter is 11. I think my girl likes bikes better than my boy......

Biblical Evidence For Catholicism
(IXOYE)<
Ronin R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:58 AM   #15
hawaiian808
and there i was...

No kids of my own but this question will arise for me in the next decade or so!! I think raising them around bikes and involving them, to then crush there dreams of riding one will hurt them, maybe even want it more, I plan to break them in on dirt, then ride with them and have them watch and learn, I won't encourage stupidity but I will have to let them get wild now and then like we are all guilty of. I plan on having that my dad's my best friend relationship. I I think not only showing them and riding with them will create a stronger relationship but they can learn when and were to be stupid I rather teach them to be stupid the smart way.

Maybe a year of riding with them no passengers aloud on there bikes, and yes I'll even be the cool as dad to ride with them to the movies and ditch out before there friends see me!
hawaiian808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:26 AM   #16
AustinMedler
Street Bike And Subie Freak

Bikes: Red 07 R1 (SOLD) 01 F4i Stunt Bike (For Sell) 04 CBR RR (Sold)
My daughter is too young (shes 4, going on 5) now but she already shows a serious interest all the time, kinda crazy. I will let her ride when she proves she can handle it and I see her riding skills. Prob start her on a dirt bike.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #17
cataclyzm123
I have a big attitude!

Bikes: 2013 R1
HELL NO! Unless they are only looking to ride the canyons on weekends, there is no way. If they are using it for transportation, the risks are just too high.

My kids are 11,18,20 and 22
Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #18
chadthaman
Fix it till it's broke!

Bikes: 2010 R1 LE
My kid has been riding as passenger since 2yoa around the yard and wooded trail on the R6.

Now she is six and has her own leather jacket as well as 2 helmets. I want to get her comms so she can talk with me instead of our thumbs up.

We don't ride far, usually 5-10 miles one way. I will let her drive when she is sixteen but we will ride together as 2 bikes, until she has some experience, and all of the propper gear.

My wife has different plans. She said she won't be happy until the bike is in pieces.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Motorcycle.com Free App
chadthaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #19
korndog12
My liver hates me......

Bikes: 02 r1
I started riding a streetbike at 17. No wrecks yet. If she is mature and has the edge to do it sure. Let her start on a dirtbike and have her drop it a few times and see if she really is still into it.

R1-016 'Venom' Squadron

"You just stepped in a huge pile of shit!"
"It happens."
-Forrest Gump

Can the government corrupt the U.S.A anymore? "Yes We Can!" - Obama
korndog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #20
rexmitchell
I am the vanilla gorilla!

No street bikes until at least age 18 I say then because I can't stop them at that age, but I want them to be safe, take the MSF course and get a good starter bike and good gear if they insist on riding

You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas. - Davy Crockett
rexmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement