» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

09-11 R1 Mechanical Help Mechinical and Critical Issues for the 09-11 R1

Old 11-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
boilovepho
I eat my R1

Bikes: 11 R1
engine power cuts with no throttle response

So today on my way home from work, my engine power basically cuts off and i get no throttle response. the check engine light came on and i can't remember if my engine turned off because i switched the bike off immediately and coasted to a stop. i turned the bike completely off and then switched the key back on and tried to start it and it came back on so i continued to ride home.

this didn't happen once but TWICE. luckily i was close to home so i was able to make it home. i checked the oil level glass so far and the oil looks normal and the bike felt good while i was able to ride it home.

I just recently installed gb racing case savers on both sides and i don't think you can go wrong anywhere in there besides tightening too much.

what do you guys think it can be?

my mods so far are the flashtune, yoshi 3/4 system, kn air filter. i'm scared...:
boilovepho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
RM03R1
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

My issue was loose battery terminals,
RM03R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Fr3nchy524
Need More Power

Bikes: 2005 Yamaha R1
check your grounds.

I had an issue with my 03 zx6r 636 back in 2010 where my bike cut out on me on the interstate. the bike would start back up after i cut the power off and restarted the bike. come to find out, one of my Throttle sensors on my throttle body was bad which would throw the code to be a bad ECU. changed out the whole throttle body assembly with new sensors, and no more issues.
Fr3nchy524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
toysareforboys
My R1 eats me.

Bikes: 07 R1, flash-tune'd
Do you have a power commander?

-Jamie M.
toysareforboys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
Tad158
Astronomer not Astrologer

Bikes: 09 R1, 78 CB750K8
You have flashed the bike...Check the ECU connectors. Make sure they are plugged in securely.
2009 Raven R1
Mods: Custom Fender Eliminator, Custom Extra Heavy Bar Ends, Custom Rear Brake Reservoir Relocation Bracket, Custom Clutch Sliders, Spiegler Rennsport SS Front Brake Lines, Spiegler SS Rear Brake Line, Harri's YZFR1 Sport Bike Grips, Zero Gravity Light Smoke Double Bubble Windscreen, M4 Y-Pipe, Vance and Hines CS One Exhaust, Shogun No-Cut Frame Sliders, Flash-Tune 3/4 Tune Re-Flash with QS, Ferodo ST HH Front Pads
Build Thread

Flash-Tune FAQ Thread
Tad158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
Tad158
Astronomer not Astrologer

Bikes: 09 R1, 78 CB750K8
Quote:
Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post

-Jamie M.
....People have had issues breaking the TPS wire...
2009 Raven R1
Mods: Custom Fender Eliminator, Custom Extra Heavy Bar Ends, Custom Rear Brake Reservoir Relocation Bracket, Custom Clutch Sliders, Spiegler Rennsport SS Front Brake Lines, Spiegler SS Rear Brake Line, Harri's YZFR1 Sport Bike Grips, Zero Gravity Light Smoke Double Bubble Windscreen, M4 Y-Pipe, Vance and Hines CS One Exhaust, Shogun No-Cut Frame Sliders, Flash-Tune 3/4 Tune Re-Flash with QS, Ferodo ST HH Front Pads
Build Thread

Flash-Tune FAQ Thread
Tad158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
boilovepho
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM03R1 View Post
My issue was loose battery terminals,
just checked, they're tight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr3nchy524 View Post
check your grounds.

I had an issue with my 03 zx6r 636 back in 2010 where my bike cut out on me on the interstate. the bike would start back up after i cut the power off and restarted the bike. come to find out, one of my Throttle sensors on my throttle body was bad which would throw the code to be a bad ECU. changed out the whole throttle body assembly with new sensors, and no more issues.
i will. where are they again? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post

-Jamie M.
no sir i do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad158 View Post
You have flashed the bike...Check the ECU connectors. Make sure they are plugged in securely.
I just checked that as well and also made sure its plugged in extra securely.

thanks for the ideas so far people. i really appreciate it. anymore? i plan on reflashing it back to stock and riding it like that to see if the problem occurs again...
Old 11-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
boilovepho
I eat my R1

So I reflashed the bike with the stock ecu pc map and it seems to be ok. I let it idle for up to 220 until the fan kicked on and then I rode it around the block so far with no problems. At least it's not some engine problem...
Old 11-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
r1Totzauer
blue blurrrr go zoom

Bikes: 07 r1
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilovepho View Post
So I reflashed the bike with the stock ecu pc map and it seems to be ok. I let it idle for up to 220 until the fan kicked on and then I rode it around the block so far with no problems. At least it's not some engine problem...
yea but electrical can b worse...

Ridin' like tomorrow isnt promised

07 R1:
Blue puig windscreen, Two brothers slip ons, -1 +2 sprockets, Blue stealth rear sprocket, Blue EK chain, CNC cut R1 heel guards, Hot bodies flush mount turn signals, Blue axle blocks, Blue rear hugger, Puig chain guard, Blue R1 rims, R1 Progrips, shogun frame sliders, carbon fiber mirror block offs
r1Totzauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
NoxImus
Tin Foil Hat

Bikes: 2012 R1 Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad158 View Post
....People have had issues breaking the TPS wire...
Broke mine, and had that same issue on the 1/4 mile track. It died on me at about the 1/8th mile mark. Just guessing, but I'm thinking this MIGHT have something to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak9205 View Post
It's like kankles for your head!!

Your local HPT and EFI live tuner.
NoxImus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #11
frogsak1
ghost

Bikes: 2012 R1
My bike did the same thing I think on my bike it is the ecu plug not all the pins are making contact when the bike vibrates

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
frogsak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement