Danget! Binned it again! : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
M0nster
R1 & Turbo

Bikes: 04 R1
Danget! Binned it again!

So this is the 2nd time I ate chit this summer. Another rookie lesson learned (cold tires). Last wed I was feeling a little frisky on my way into the office. I decided to lean into the first turn of the day a little too hard. I kinda knew I was pushing it but I've been trying to trust my tires a little more lately and working on my low speed turning ability. Big mistake! I kinda knew I should've waited for the tires to warm up but I under estimated how cold it was outside. Looking back it was 50 deg outside and I was only 3 blocks from my house. The pavement went from asphalt to smooth concrete in the middle of the turn. As soon as the surface changed I lost the rear at around 25mph ish and she slid into the curb. I had on all my gear so I hopped right up without injury but the bike was ugly all down the right side and I broke off a rearset. I pulled out my tools zip tied the plastics up and put a bolt through the rearset and kept going. My bike is a complete disaster right now looks wise.

Im going to replace everything mechanical thats broke but I plan to leave the ugly plastics for a few more months incase I bite it again. I need to invest in sliders bad!

M0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
R1nStang
Owner of the color changing R1

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
glad you made it out alright. buy yourself some fiberglass and paint and repair the plastics yourself....and give it a new paint job

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron

Yoshi TRC-D slip-ons, Leo Ypipe, PCV, -1/+1 520 conversion, ECUnleashed with Race Idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigO View Post
my anus is just swollen.. Shut it!!!
R1nStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
Garrett04
I eat my R1

Bikes: 07 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nster View Post
So this is the 2nd time I ate chit this summer. Another rookie lesson learned (cold tires). Last wed I was feeling a little frisky on my way into the office. I decided to lean into the first turn of the day a little too hard. I kinda knew I was pushing it but I've been trying to trust my tires a little more lately and working on my low speed turning ability. Big mistake! I kinda knew I should've waited for the tires to warm up but I under estimated how cold it was outside. Looking back it was 50 deg outside and I was only 3 blocks from my house. The pavement went from asphalt to smooth concrete in the middle of the turn. As soon as the surface changed I lost the rear at around 25mph ish and she slid into the curb. I had on all my gear so I hopped right up without injury but the bike was ugly all down the right side and I broke off a rearset. I pulled out my tools zip tied the plastics up and put a bolt through the rearset and kept going. My bike is a complete disaster right now looks wise.

Im going to replace everything mechanical thats broke but I plan to leave the ugly plastics for a few more months incase I bite it again. I need to invest in sliders bad!

Honestly the concrete is a more likely culprit than your tires being cold. Although if your tires were warmed up it probably wouldn't have happened. But concrete gets real slick in conditions that asphalt normally doesnt. i.e. morning time with some frost still out.
Garrett04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
M0nster
R1 & Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett04 View Post
Honestly the concrete is a more likely culprit than your tires being cold. Although if your tires were warmed up it probably wouldn't have happened. But concrete gets real slick in conditions that asphalt normally doesnt. i.e. morning time with some frost still out.
I agree completely

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1nStang View Post
glad you made it out alright. buy yourself some fiberglass and paint and repair the plastics yourself....and give it a new paint job
Im going to glass them up, repair the cracks as best I can copy the youtube how to on it on it and then plasti dip them for the time being.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
SakiBomb
Herro!

Bikes: 05 R1
Sorry to hear DW. Glad you weren't hurt, and you should definitely invest in sliders

Last edited by SakiBomb; 11-06-2012 at 11:15 PM.
SakiBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
KoC-BlocER1
Turn and Burn!

Bikes: '09 R1 (Sold) ~ 2012 R1
Suxs dude! So close to election day too!
KoC-BlocER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
slowboyracing
Quality Parts at Great Prices!

You must love your gear!

Show us how bad it looks, somehow I always think, bikes that look rough just adds character and gives you street cred :P
Old 11-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #8
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
Sorry buddy

Would love to see some aftermath, no offense

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
M0nster
R1 & Turbo

I spaced on this thread. sorry guys it's been a wild year for me and I got busy.

here is an update sorry for the crappy photos my iphone4 camera sucks.

How I bought it 3 years ago

2000$ in parts later

These are from the first wreck I had last year where some lady cut me off and I rookie braked and lost it.

This saved my leg

This is after I put on on crap fairings and got it running good enough for me to get around town and look for a job while my srt4 was down.

Got a new DD car (2013 wrx) and let the bike sit till now.

Almost a year later I finally got some money aside and I am putting it back together again.

Still needs alot of work and time but this is where Im at so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement