Headwork Winter Project - Page 1021 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

02-03 R1 Mechanical Help Mechnical and Critical Issues for the 02-03 R1

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #20401
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets
 
BSR-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: 05 Raven #8734, 2011 S1000RR
Location: Capo Beach, Ca
Posts: 8,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
I wish I knew.....
I learned most of what I know from the guys on this thread, (and a few others).
This has to be one of the greatest threads of all time!

If it truly has come to an end I'd like to thank all of you who've help me along the way (you know who you are). The knowledge that I've gained would be virtually irreplaceable by any other means!

I hope it comes back but somethings never can (or will).

I guess I'll just ride on!

__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaztls View Post
I just want to stroke it all the time. (For you BSR )
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #20402
Tim Radley
Taking my bike test soon :)
 
Tim Radley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes: Penny Farthing
Location: 51?51'23.70"N 2?15'37.61"W
Posts: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
I learned most of what I know from the guys on this thread, (and a few others).
This has to be one of the greatest threads of all time!

If it truly has come to an end I'd like to thank all of you who've help me along the way (you know who you are). The knowledge that I've gained would be virtually irreplaceable by any other means!

I hope it comes back but somethings never can (or will).

I guess I'll just ride on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNdagpIgItw
Yes some great guys and great threads but forums seem to have lost the plot the last couple of years.
Facebook seems to be where its at now. There is an R1 group on there which a few guys on here are on now.
Spend most of my time on a couple of car forums now as i'm fed up with the politics of superbikes and there is waaaaaay more money in car motors.
Been playing with my car most of this year but now breaking that up for spares. About to buy a new unit then next year might look for a new project. Here is the car. To give you an example, the motor in this with turbo kit and ecu and clutch and gearbox mods etc would set you back about $50k but it matches a factory honda superbike on accel on the logging Try spending that kind of money on your bike motor!
__________________
"Engine builder for the worlds fastest Skoda - 227mph, Bonneville class record
"One mans ceiling is another mans floor" - Erland Cox.
"Don't judge me by your ability" - Clive W.
Tim Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #20403
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets
 
BSR-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: 05 Raven #8734, 2011 S1000RR
Location: Capo Beach, Ca
Posts: 8,641
HOLY CRAP! That thing winds out fast!
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaztls View Post
I just want to stroke it all the time. (For you BSR )
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #20404
Tim Radley
Taking my bike test soon :)
 
Tim Radley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes: Penny Farthing
Location: 51?51'23.70"N 2?15'37.61"W
Posts: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
HOLY CRAP! That thing winds out fast!
Check my other youtube videos. There is one called headon. Its coming towards the camera through the gears. Tell me that sounds like a car or a bike?!! You need to turn the sound up though
__________________
"Engine builder for the worlds fastest Skoda - 227mph, Bonneville class record
"One mans ceiling is another mans floor" - Erland Cox.
"Don't judge me by your ability" - Clive W.
Tim Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #20405
DanQ
Yamaha blue, in any color.
 
DanQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Bikes: 91 FZR1000, 04 YZF-R1, 05 V-Max 0098/2000, 04 Warrior, 05 R6
Location: Jacksonville, NC USA
Posts: 22,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
I learned most of what I know from the guys on this thread, (and a few others).
This has to be one of the greatest threads of all time!

If it truly has come to an end I'd like to thank all of you who've help me along the way (you know who you are). The knowledge that I've gained would be virtually irreplaceable by any other means!

I hope it comes back but somethings never can (or will).

I guess I'll just ride on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNdagpIgItw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Radley View Post
Yes some great guys and great threads but forums seem to have lost the plot the last couple of years.
Facebook seems to be where its at now. There is an R1 group on there which a few guys on here are on now.
Spend most of my time on a couple of car forums now as i'm fed up with the politics of superbikes and there is waaaaaay more money in car motors.
Been playing with my car most of this year but now breaking that up for spares. About to buy a new unit then next year might look for a new project. Here is the car. To give you an example, the motor in this with turbo kit and ecu and clutch and gearbox mods etc would set you back about $50k but it matches a factory honda superbike on accel on the logging Try spending that kind of money on your bike motor!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_1UZ1qOvMQ&feature=plcp
While I'm inclined to agree with Tim on the declination of Forums (as it's a reality), inasmuch as it goes for this Forum and this thread much of it pertains to one members absence. Due to the absence of Greg, several have taken a stand of "solidarity" as it were, to be absent from the Forum until some other time, or permanently. I can't speak for each individual, but I've conversed with some; and their opinions are supportive of what I'm saying.

But I don't think it's all dead. Although we are missing the interaction of folks that I'd really like to see participate in discussion, we still see some new innovation and many requests for information that is older model based. And while Mark has chosen to be one of the absent, it's his choice and I respect that. Hopefully he will think otherwise and rejoin the conversation here. If not, and the conversation runs dormant long enough, what is probably one of the largest (and most delightfully rambling) threads will become dormant and move to archives. Hopefully not though. That's why I occasionally bump it with unimportant suspension info
__________________

Signature by SpidermanSS. Thanks Shane!
Dan
R1-016 'Venom' Squadron Member
CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 Vmax 20th Anniversary 98 of 2000
04 Road Star Warrior


TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
DanQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #20406
Gearheaded
Venom X/O
 
Gearheaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 19,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
That's why I occasionally bump it with unimportant suspension info
Speaking of suspension, I shot you a pm
__________________



Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #20407
DanQ
Yamaha blue, in any color.
 
DanQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Bikes: 91 FZR1000, 04 YZF-R1, 05 V-Max 0098/2000, 04 Warrior, 05 R6
Location: Jacksonville, NC USA
Posts: 22,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
Speaking of suspension, I shot you a pm
__________________

Signature by SpidermanSS. Thanks Shane!
Dan
R1-016 'Venom' Squadron Member
CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 Vmax 20th Anniversary 98 of 2000
04 Road Star Warrior


TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
DanQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #20408
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets
 
BSR-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: 05 Raven #8734, 2011 S1000RR
Location: Capo Beach, Ca
Posts: 8,641
Thanks for the insight Dan.
Maybe with enough "suspension" you can keep this thread from sinking!
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaztls View Post
I just want to stroke it all the time. (For you BSR )
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #20409
Gearheaded
Venom X/O
 
Gearheaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 19,474
How difficult is just a head gasket swap?
__________________



Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #20410
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets
 
BSR-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: 05 Raven #8734, 2011 S1000RR
Location: Capo Beach, Ca
Posts: 8,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
How difficult is just a head gasket swap?
You could do it in a day. Some Could do it faster but I'd allow a day for myself.
Is your gasket bad?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaztls View Post
I just want to stroke it all the time. (For you BSR )
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #20411
greenstreak9205
look for special phrase here
 
greenstreak9205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes: That signature bike
Location: WI
Posts: 9,773
Since he'd be tearing it down for a head gasket, wouldn't that be primo time to slide in a thinner base gasket
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
Quit shaking your head, you're creating a draft!

The Man, The Legend Uncle P

Phantom Squadron CO Check Out Phantom Squadron Here
greenstreak9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #20412
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets
 
BSR-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: 05 Raven #8734, 2011 S1000RR
Location: Capo Beach, Ca
Posts: 8,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak9205 View Post
Since he'd be tearing it down for a head gasket, wouldn't that be primo time to slide in a thinner base gasket
Sure would seem that way...that's why I asked what for.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaztls View Post
I just want to stroke it all the time. (For you BSR )
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #20413
greenstreak9205
look for special phrase here
 
greenstreak9205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes: That signature bike
Location: WI
Posts: 9,773
He's having cooling issues. Regularly hits 220+ when coming off the track, fills the res bottle...he's put on a graves 1.8bar cap and all that jazz. I'm guessing he's looking at possibilities of what it would take to tear it all down. Again...I'm guessing
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
Quit shaking your head, you're creating a draft!

The Man, The Legend Uncle P

Phantom Squadron CO Check Out Phantom Squadron Here
greenstreak9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:25 AM   #20414
Gearheaded
Venom X/O
 
Gearheaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 19,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
You could do it in a day. Some Could do it faster but I'd allow a day for myself.
Is your gasket bad?
Not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak9205 View Post
He's having cooling issues. Regularly hits 220+ when coming off the track, fills the res bottle...he's put on a graves 1.8bar cap and all that jazz. I'm guessing he's looking at possibilities of what it would take to tear it all down. Again...I'm guessing
This!

Any insight would be helpful.
__________________



Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #20415
Gearheaded
Venom X/O
 
Gearheaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 19,474
Plus, why not throw in a couple yec gaskets
__________________



Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #20416
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets
 
BSR-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: 05 Raven #8734, 2011 S1000RR
Location: Capo Beach, Ca
Posts: 8,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
Plus, why not throw in a couple yec gaskets
Normally I'd say, "why not", but if it's already too hot adding more compression (torque/power) will only make it worse.

1) Have you verified that there are no air bubbles in the coolant system?
2) are the fans coming on properly?
3) do you have any intake leaks that are letting in more air and thus leaning out the fuel/air mixture?
4) I assume that you have a custom fueling map and the ratio is in the safe zone?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaztls View Post
I just want to stroke it all the time. (For you BSR )

Last edited by BSR-1; 11-06-2012 at 07:36 AM.
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #20417
Gearheaded
Venom X/O
 
Gearheaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 19,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
Normally I'd say, "why not", but if it's already too hot adding more compression (torque/power) will only make it worse.

1) Have you verified that there are no air bubbles in the coolant system?
2) are the fans coming on properly?
3) do you have any intake leaks that are letting in more air and thus leaning out the fuel/air mixture?
4) I assume that you have a custom fueling map and the ratio is in the safe zone?
1- I've flushed this thing many times to try and get the air bubbles out, and I'm pretty confident it's clear. When I just putz around the cooling system works flawlessly. When I'm on track she doesn't overheart, but when I slow down after a session the temp skyrockets.
2- fans are perfect
3- bike is a 09 and the air intake system seems ok. Everything is where it needs to be.
4- The bike has a flash–tune flashed ECU but hasn't been on a dyno
__________________



Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #20418
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets
 
BSR-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: 05 Raven #8734, 2011 S1000RR
Location: Capo Beach, Ca
Posts: 8,641
Any other mods? Exhaust, PC-V???
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaztls View Post
I just want to stroke it all the time. (For you BSR )
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #20419
DanQ
Yamaha blue, in any color.
 
DanQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Bikes: 91 FZR1000, 04 YZF-R1, 05 V-Max 0098/2000, 04 Warrior, 05 R6
Location: Jacksonville, NC USA
Posts: 22,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
1- I've flushed this thing many times to try and get the air bubbles out, and I'm pretty confident it's clear. When I just putz around the cooling system works flawlessly. When I'm on track she doesn't overheart, but when I slow down after a session the temp skyrockets.
2- fans are perfect
3- bike is a 09 and the air intake system seems ok. Everything is where it needs to be.
4- The bike has a flash–tune flashed ECU but hasn't been on a dyno
Are you shutting the motor down after a session? Letting the fans run to cool the radiator coolant and then starting to circulate it? Any additional fan use in the pits?

All the 09+ we run with have similar issues, but we manage pretty well with additional fans and running the cooling fan a few minutes then starting the engine. It's a pain in the rear on 100+ days, but they haven't overheated and haven't puked fluids.
__________________

Signature by SpidermanSS. Thanks Shane!
Dan
R1-016 'Venom' Squadron Member
CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 Vmax 20th Anniversary 98 of 2000
04 Road Star Warrior


TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
DanQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #20420
Gearheaded
Venom X/O
 
Gearheaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 19,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
Any other mods? Exhaust, PC-V???
3/4 Leo SBK and bmc filter. Pretty much it
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
Are you shutting the motor down after a session? Letting the fans run to cool the radiator coolant and then starting to circulate it? Any additional fan use in the pits?

All the 09+ we run with have similar issues, but we manage pretty well with additional fans and running the cooling fan a few minutes then starting the engine. It's a pain in the rear on 100+ days, but they haven't overheated and haven't puked fluids.
Yea i have fans in the pits and kill the bike before it overheats, but my higher priority problem is the coolant filling the over flow during track riding. I am afraid it is going to spit coolant out of the overflow tube and soak the rear tire
__________________



Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Headwork weekend project trottski Mechanical / Help 19 11-04-2008 02:54 PM
Winter project andyh Appearance & Mods 11 04-15-2007 01:37 PM
Winter Project 95% Done JspecZ R1 Appearance & Mods 23 03-02-2005 09:50 PM
Winter Project......... snorbitz General Motorcycle Discussions 8 01-29-2004 03:29 PM
So tell us...what your winter project will be? Maxxym General Motorcycle Discussions 23 09-27-2002 06:16 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:52 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum
R1-Forum.com is an independent Yamaha enthusiast website. Content on R1-Forum.com is generated by its users and R1-Forum.com is not in any way affiliated with Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.