Forum Members Feedback Needed, Please Take Some Time & Chime In! : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
HardRacing
Site Sponsor

Bikes: 07 R1, 05 R1 OHLINS_MASTER_DEALER
Forum Members Feedback Needed, Please Take Some Time & Chime In!

This post is to HELP all the Site Sponsors/Vendors with good feedback from You The Forum Members.

What Drives your Purchase Decisions ?

What's important to you when purchasing from a company ?

Please leave company names off your post.
We don't want it to turn into a " " Joe's Bike Shop is awesome " "Joe's Bike shop sucks "
This Thread is supposed to be helpful for ALL the SiteSponsors/Vendors.by letting us know more about the Forum Members. What influences you to purchase from a company. What's important to you. And what's not.

Here is a Quick List of Key Points that most people consider when making a Purchase.

1) PRICE - Obviously with the current economy this is going to be first on everyone's List.
So Lets just assume, that everyone will put that 1st on their list.

That being said, Take a second and Post up.....in Order of Priority....... OF These Most Common Key Points (Other than #1 Price) , :Which ones come first on your list..

Which ones are important to you.? Top of your List

Which ones are not that important. ? Lower on your list.

We have put them in RANDOM ORDER. But, you can arrange them in whatever priority they are to you.
And of course post comments.

- Answers their phones when they are open ---- (Not saying every company can have a full sales staff and a bunch of dedicated Sales lines, so that you never get voicemail. That is Rare. But, Key point being, MOST of the time when you call, someone answers the phone. Nothing more annoying that Not being able to get someone to answer the phone, no matter what time of the day you call. )

- Replies to your emails in a timely manner ----- (Again, not saying every company can have a dedicated staff to do nothing but reply to emails 24/7. Key point being, MOST of the time when you email them during "NORMAL BUSINESS HOURS" you get a reply within an hour. Not 2 days later, or even worse no reply at all. )

- FREE Shipping ---- (Key Point : FREE SHIPPING)

- Knowledgeable Sales Staff ---- ( Key point : The person taking your order, knows the products, knows the bikes, knows what should fit, and what probably won't. Has 1st hand experience with the products your considering... We have all experienced what it's like to ask someone about a product, and they have no idea what it is, or what it does. All they do is sell it )

- A Real Store with a Physical Address and a phone number ---- ( Key Point :You know they are going to be there for the long haul. Not a "here today, gone tomorrow". There is nothing worse than seeing a PO BOX as the company's Physical address. Or no phone number listed, instead a.. "Email is Preferred method of contact ".

- Tracking numbers sent as soon as your product shipping ---- (Key point : They just email it to you automatically. That way you can track it, and you know when it will be arriving. You don't have to call or email and ask for it. Or worse your told. " You cannot get a tracking number until at least 14 days after your order..? WTF? )

- Repeat Customer Discount or Customer Loyalty Discount ---- (Key Point : In some form or another the company appreciates your continued business and gives you something extra for sticking with them. Either Store Credit, or Extra Discounts...etc.. )

- Order Status Updates ---- (Key point : As soon as you place your order, you are confident it will be processed quickly. Otherwise the company will email and/or call you immediately, to inform you of any delays and let you decide to continue or cancel or change order)

- Informative Website (Key point : Lots of information on the specific products, and Details Photos. Not just a "Here's the part, and here's the price. with a generic photo or no photo at all )

- Fast Shipping ---- (Everyone wants their stuff, Yesterday. Unfortunately, that's impossible. :-) But, you expect it to get to you quickly 2-5 days in most cases.. Not 2-3 weeks later. Unless your notified it's on back order.)

- Tech Support/Customer service that you can call and get Answers ---- (Key point : They don't just take orders. They can give you important information that helps you make an informed decision on what your buying. ie.. (will this fit my bike.? What do I need.?? Will this product work with That product. Are they compatible ? What size Sprockets do I need. How Fat of a Tire can I squeeze on my Rim )

AGAIN, please leave ALL company names off your post.

You're welcome to give past experiences you have had and how it has changed the way you make your decision. That's what we are looking for. Not a Bash fest on anyone or a HYPE Fest on anyone.

Celebrating our 14th year in business.
HardRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Stonewall
ROWDY

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
price ,brand, free shipping.

Last edited by Stonewall; 11-06-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Stonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
R1nStang
Owner of the color changing R1

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
pricing, free shipping, in stock item for quick delivery, quick and friendly service if there is a problem

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron

Yoshi TRC-D slip-ons, Leo Ypipe, PCV, -1/+1 520 conversion, ECUnleashed with Race Idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigO View Post
my anus is just swollen.. Shut it!!!
R1nStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Actually I don't look at price 1st. The vendors I stick with give me the best value. That means speed of service, ease of purchase, correcting things that go wrong, and if I need help they provide that if I am giving them a sale at the time or not. There are vendors that do that and I have given them a fair amount of money because of it. There are times I know I can get it slightly cheaper elsewhere, but in the end it works out.

Example..when I send a vendor an email at 10pm on Sunday because I'm having a problem/need an idea on a part that I may have purchased from them or may not have....they actually respond that night almost always. That is worth $$ in my books.

And when I need something, I simply email them and it gets handled. If parts are wrong, they cross ship without worry.....all of that is worth it to me

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Last edited by z064life; 11-06-2012 at 11:29 AM.
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
CupraR1
It's just like a video game.

Bikes: 2011 R1
Quality Parts For A Quality Price With A Quality Service will keep the customers coming back every time!
You can serve a customer once or a hundred times! They will choose
CupraR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Mike08r1
DWIW, all day.

Bikes: 2008 r1
Price, company reputation on the forum, free shipping, responsiveness to calls or email.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Mike08r1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
Blue Streak
I've fallen and I can't get up

Bikes: 2000 Yamaha R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
Actually I don't look at price 1st. The vendors I stick with give me the best value. That means speed of service, ease of purchase, correcting things that go wrong, and if I need help they provide that if I am giving them a sale at the time or not. There are vendors that do that and I have given them a fair amount of money because of it. There are times I know I can get it slightly cheaper elsewhere, but in the end it works out.

Example..when I send a vendor an email at 10pm on Sunday because I'm having a problem/need an idea on a part that I may have purchased from them or may not have....they actually respond that night almost always. That is worth $$ in my books.

And when I need something, I simply email them and it gets handled. If parts are wrong, they cross ship without worry.....all of that is worth it to me

You made the first mistake in sales - assuming. Why assume price is themost important thing for ALL of your potential clients?

As stated, value is far more important to me than price and that comes with some of the other things you mentioned and that are above.

I want a "competent" vendor - someone who can actually do what they say and/or should be able to do for me.

I want a "credible" vendor - some of the vendors (OK I wont mention names) post regulary on the forum and offer good advice vs. just trying to sell their stuff. They ride bikes themselves or are around them enough that they know what we are asking or talking about vs. trying to google the answer or look at the product description in a catalogue. They are knowledgeable about what they sell - and thats worth something and drives loyalty.

Price is only important if it's a commodity that I need zero assitance with and can be found anywhere. Even then I will pay a small percentage more and give the business to someone who I have dealt with before and liked their service.

Being from Canada there is NO such thing as free shipping from USA. The carrier and cost of shipping are important to me. For example I refuse to use United Parcel Service since they screw you royally on brokerage fees. If a site tells me they only use them - i look no further.

Response to ANY email questions within 24-48 hours is also expected. If the response is canned or useless info - I move on.

Lastly - I will say that this forum has POWER. If I read too many bad reviews about a vendor ( someone always has some stupid little problem that they bitch about and I dont let that influence me) I wont use them - not even give them a try.
Blue Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
ss55539
Banned

Bikes: '11 FLHX, 09 YFZ450R, 07 YZ450F, 06 R1 50th
availability and customer service head my list. often i pay a little more just to know im going to get the item when im supposed to and if i have an issue it will be handled quickly.
ss55539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
rorytsm
damn turkeys

Bikes: 04 R1
letting a customer know if there is any kind of a delay with an item instead of just letting them wait it out wondering what the f*ck is going on. shit needs to ship inside of 2 days if you "have it in stock" otherwise let them know when it will be shipped.
rorytsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
MANOWAR
I ****ed the girl in Hanson

Bikes: 2004 R1 Silver #1673 (fastest color)
I like what Sportbiketrackgear does. They only sell what they use. When I got my Handroid gloves in their store they had a set of used one they'd crashed in I could try on. (they held up perfectly for crashed gloves too). They knew how they fit and how they held up over time.

I want a brain behind the phone/email who can answer questions about a product if I have them.

PCIII USB|Yamaha Seat Cowl|R&G Frame Sliders|Greggs Custom Barend Sliders|Intuitive 6MM swing arm spools|CRG Shorty Clutch & Brake Levers|Clear Alternatives Brake/Tail Light Integrator|R&R Fender Eliminator|Harris Grips|High Gear Tech Mount|Puig Dark Smoke Racing Screen|Graves Velocity Stacks|Cycle Gadgets Quick Change Oil Kit|Watsons Flushmount Turn Signals|Custom Race Baffles|Graves Clutch Slider|Acumen Gear Indicator|Racer Solutions Remote Laptimer Kit|Galfer SS Brake Lines|Graves Rearsets
MANOWAR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
Blue Streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANOWAR View Post
I like what Sportbiketrackgear does. They only sell what they use. When I got my Handroid gloves in their store they had a set of used one they'd crashed in I could try on. (they held up perfectly for crashed gloves too). They knew how they fit and how they held up over time.

I want a brain behind the phone/email who can answer questions about a product if I have them.
ahh man! you went mentioning names like you were told not to!!! Do you have a problem with doing what you're told!
Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #12
ss55539
Banned

Bikes: '11 FLHX, 09 YFZ450R, 07 YZ450F, 06 R1 50th
Quote:

and they have AWESOME customer service also
ss55539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
Kevap
Rockem Sockem Robots

Bikes: 00 R1 Sold, 05 R1 Sold, 10 Black R1, 15 R1 NEXT!
Quote:
When I got my Handroid gloves
Wait... you finally got rid of those gay ass Icon gloves?

sig pic courtesy of THE GODFATHER!

Greenstreak quote from Baber... "Woah... I have a log in my ass!"

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
TEAM: SO SCARED NO LEAN

Godspeed to my fallen brothers - elviswarrior, Gawarrior, Vman1300
Kevap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
MANOWAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevap View Post
Wait... you finally got rid of those gay ass Icon gloves?

1. They aren't gay they're AWESOME.
2. I still have them but I got the Handroid ones because all my forum buddies give me shit for wearing squidcon gloves.

I do like the Handroid better though. Kangaroo leather and they broke in nicely. Very comfortable and dropping Shanes name got me a great deal on them.

PCIII USB|Yamaha Seat Cowl|R&G Frame Sliders|Greggs Custom Barend Sliders|Intuitive 6MM swing arm spools|CRG Shorty Clutch & Brake Levers|Clear Alternatives Brake/Tail Light Integrator|R&R Fender Eliminator|Harris Grips|High Gear Tech Mount|Puig Dark Smoke Racing Screen|Graves Velocity Stacks|Cycle Gadgets Quick Change Oil Kit|Watsons Flushmount Turn Signals|Custom Race Baffles|Graves Clutch Slider|Acumen Gear Indicator|Racer Solutions Remote Laptimer Kit|Galfer SS Brake Lines|Graves Rearsets
Old 11-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
MANOWAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Streak View Post
ahh man! you went mentioning names like you were told not to!!! Do you have a problem with doing what you're told!
yes. And I'm too lazy to edit my post.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
HardRacing
Site Sponsor

Bikes: 07 R1, 05 R1 OHLINS_MASTER_DEALER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Streak View Post

You made the first mistake in sales - assuming. Why assume price is themost important thing for ALL of your potential clients?

Well for starters, 4 out of the First 5 posts said Price.

Assuming they are the norm of course.

Having done this for nearly 15 years and 50,000 + customers later , we find they have Price at the top of their list. That's just fact.

That's not to say A Dealer has to be the cheapest around.
Not always the case.
It's just one of the most important factors when considering where they spend their hard earned $$$

Celebrating our 14th year in business.
HardRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #17
MeanOne
Recreational adrenaline user

Bikes: 2008 Raven R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post

Right, the "listed" price can be deceiving. "Value", to me, entails the entire buying experience - from perusing a website, to placing my order, to support months (or even years) after making my purchase. I take account of all that when I'm deciding what I'm willing to spend on a purchase. There is a sort of "buying calculus" I engage in, and price is not the only variable nor is it necessarily the most important.

But why is RETURN POLICY not an option? I won't buy from any online vendor that doesn't have a no-hassle return policy, period. Too many variables, especially in riding gear, when buying online. When spending $100s or more, I want the security of knowing I can send something right back if its not right for me. Free return shipping, therefore, also goes a long way with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardRacing View Post
One could develop a very healthy business meeting the needs of the other 1 out of 5 customers, those who aren't willing to sacrifice all those other factors just to save a few bucks off of "list".

That mentality ultimately leads businesses to have to cut customer service so they can be competitive in price - and there are a lot more businesses out there playing that game.

As a consumer, I like being paid attention to, treated like I matter, and having my concerns taken seriously. Give me that and I will pay more for it. (Not a lot more, but more.)

Check out my Black 'n' Gold '08 Build Thread

Last edited by MeanOne; 11-06-2012 at 03:35 PM.
MeanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #18
Blue Streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardRacing View Post

Assuming they are the norm of course.

Having done this for nearly 15 years and 50,000 + customers later , we find they have Price at the top of their list. That's just fact.

That's not to say A Dealer has to be the cheapest around.
Not always the case.
It's just one of the most important factors when considering where they spend their hard earned $$$

Actually - the first 2 out of 5 as most important .... but whose counting....
Old 11-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #19
KMac
SuperModerateur

Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
Actually, 3 of the first 5 response posts.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #20
Blue Streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
Actually, 3 of the first 5 response posts.
geez - go and spoil my fun

whats the total percentage of all posts with price as first? I'm too lazy to count it up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement